BA Dad

Started by Rakefur, February 14, 2012, 09:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neobaron

Peace you so crazy.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Ashyra Nightwing

lol, I thought that was a good post, Peace.
I have crazy parents who are also incredibly pushy. If I didn't get into Oxford I was nothing - of course this was never explicitly stated but it was heavily implied. All their treatment of me ever did was turn me into a nervous wreck.
My mother used to read my Livejournal without my knowledge - she did it for ages until she 'caught me out' posting about something I shouldn't have. Obviously my mother never shot anything but this video hits weirdly close to home. I know my 'chores' included cleaning the toilet 5 times because I 'got it wrong' the previous times. If I complained about anything I was 'ungrateful'. Lots of weird psychological stuff. Obviously I don't know this guy, but something seems off about a guy who shoots a kid's laptop and then posts about it on the internet

edit: i'm sorry about all the emotionposts this week lol

Neobaron

No doubt dude is probably off the deep end, but to decry all discipline for kids is kind of foolish.

Being ~nice~ to kids is a new gimmick.

Ashyra Nightwing

Nah, I don't care about grounding or whatever. Discipline your kids, take away the stuff they like until they behave well, no TV until your room is tidy, all that sort of stuff I'm cool with.

I just think that this man is a crazy man. The kid didn't stop doing her chores, did she? She just made a whiny post about it on the internet.

Also I don't think being ~nice~ to kids is a terrible thing. Obviously there has to be discipline but what about reinforcing good behaviour?

Neobaron

It sets unrealistic expectations.

When you are doing your job IRL, your boss won't come tell you good job every time you do your job correctly.

Ashyra Nightwing

What about promotions and pay increases? They could be seen as a form of reward for hard work and good behaviour.

Are you really saying kids shouldn't get a sweet for being quiet at the dentist because it sets unrealistic expectations?

Shadow

Eh, kids don't think the same way adults do, Neo, that is part of why you hate them.

The dad overreacted, that will not do anything but increase the problems with his daughter and will probably do some permanent damage to their relationship. That being said, the daughter sounds like a spoiled brat (make the cleaning lady do it!) and definitely deserved something.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Durza

When I was young, if I did something really bad I got a swift swat to the butt.  Not quite as bad timeout in silence.  Now its loss of privlages.  Parents are not ment to be ~friends~ with their kids.  That is not to say that they cannot be friendly or nice, the just cannot be ~friends~.

Good behavior is implied with the necessary dicipline, and in general good behavior manifests itself in ways we don not see.

Regardless the dad went too far, but the kid probably had it comming for some time
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Neobaron

Promotions and pay increases are not based on hard work and good behaviour. Normally they're based on time in grade, but more often than not it is who your friends are.

But I understand what you are trying to say.

---

Perhaps I was raised in one of those horrible places that peace outlines, but no I do not think kids should be rewarded for doing the right thing.  

Durza

I understand you neo.  I don't recall ever being rewarded for being good, and yet somehow I am now an Eagle Scout.
Question Mark (?)

Holby

Praise is always going to be a better motivation than criticism.

I am 99% positive managers are taught to praise and encourage staff, 'cos they're more likely to care about their job and work harder.

I will not deleted this

Durza

parise and motivation, not rewarded with items. 
Question Mark (?)

Ashyra Nightwing

I'm just curious as to how you expect these kids to know what 'the right thing' is?

Is it a question of them finding this out for themselves? i.e. you punch another kid = other kids don't want to hang out with you = you feel bad = punching that kid was a bad thing to do!

also yeah - I'm not talking about showering the kid with gifts, I'm talking about a 'that's nice, that's going on the fridge' if a kid does a good piece of work/painting/whatever

cloud

I got grounded if I came home with anything less than a B. My positive reinforcement was that I got to keep my privledges.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Durza

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on February 14, 2012, 09:18:58 PM
also yeah - I'm not talking about showering the kid with gifts, I'm talking about a 'that's nice, that's going on the fridge' if a kid does a good piece of work/painting/whatever

If that is the case for rewarding then I agree with you
Question Mark (?)