Stupid rules & gagging.

Started by Vengerak, July 20, 2003, 04:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vengerak

Evidently, a lot. However, I'd appreciate it if someone would clear up for me what the twisted, overly uptight & prudish take on "profanity" actually is nowadays on this forum.

For example, there are any number of words that it would simply not occur to me to think off as "profane" which apparently are. I can guess the bad ones- the "F" & "C" word, & a few others. Personally the "S" word & the "B" word I don't think warrant gagging, but I know well enough to steer clear of them. Because it's obvious. There are others which aren't obvious at all, & don't really fall under "profanity" or even, in most normal people's opinions, curses.

This would include the four letter word begging with "C" & ending in "P", the word that is similar the the word that is made up of an "A" & followed be a couple of "S"es but contains four letters & ends in "E", the name for the place where the Devil lives, & the word that follows "Hoover" in the name of that big water-holding-back thing (Which isn't a curse by any sane stretch of the imagination...). Are all of these considered "profane"? I don't think a dictionary defination would agree, but I could be wrong (In fact I'd probably save myself a lot of embarassment by checking, but the dictionary's up the stairs & I have the most hideous growing pains in my knees...).

Also, are certain "profane" words considered to be acceptable when used in their proper context?

If, for example, there was some discussion going on that brought up the afterlife, or whatever, & the "H" word that-is-not-profane-&-should-be-acceptable-anyway was used IN THE CONTEXT OF THE PLACE ITSELF, would that be allowed? You couldn't very well call it "Heck", because that just isn't its name, whatever the namby-pamby American cartoons on cable say.

Additionally, what if the "B" word was to be used in its proper context? For example, in character, Vengerak is the "B" word son of Terranix Valthurak. Raine, incidentally, is his legitimate son, but I digress. Would it be acceptable used like that, in its proper, non-profane context?

Or what if the three-letter word ending in two "S"es was used in its proper context? As in another word for a donkey (Or mule. I can't remember.). Is it acceptable THEN (Not that it was ever profane in the first place...), or still no?

I have read the posted which are seem more or less acceptable, but the moderators evidently have their own far more rigid, unyielding & Stalinist Commisar-esque set for personal use.

If I'm going to get clamped for breaking a stupid rule, I'd like at least to know beforehand what that stupid rule is.

Vengerak

There we go: "Profane: Blasphemous or obscene". Oxford dictionary. Frankly I think it's ridiculous that any of the little, not-really-offensive-at-all words should be considered obscene, & blasphemous, which could be anything if you have a personal religion, or whatever, dosen't really figure into it.

Plus the fact that Ragefur, who I understand is board Admin, dosen't care, so why should we get put down for using words that aren't even covered by the definition of "profane" & are being used in their proper context, as examples of something or other & thus not used in an offensive manner, or are quotes of what someone else has said used in an objective manner.  

Boze (Admin)

How about this? All words that you think may be profanity... just replace them with "shampoo". Eh... no.... that could turn out bad. If you don't think a word is "bad", but beleive it might have the slightest chance of offending someone else, simply DO NOT SAY IT. Is that really that hard? I use a good deal of profanity around my friends IRL. This is not the place for it. If you are so compelled to type profane language, jsut open up "Note Pad" and type away. Have fun. Sheesh.
That's me!

Vengerak

Heh. Well, as enjoyable as that sounds, sometimes it's hard to get around using these lesser words. If in the context of the examples above, for one thing (Three, really, but whatever.). & whilst I do think that the rules are stupid, I'll follow them, if not without a little whinging here & there. I'd just like to know WHAT stupid rule it is I'm supposed to have broken, & the right to be able to turn around & say that I haven't even BROKEN the stupid rule, because it dosen't exist, it's just been extrapolated out of existing rules to really horrdenous extremes.

Plus the fact that pretty much no-one on the forums is actually in the least offended by these words, with the possible exception of just Teufel. But whilst I doubt even that, I can't be sure, so, apologies in advance to all you poor, traumatized & horrified people.

I think I might take up saying "shampoo" instead anyway, though, just because ^_^.

EDIT- By the way, is there a "fake" Boze?

Ashyra Nightwing

*nods* There is a fake Boze.  Look at the memberlist. There are 3 'Boze's there.

Peace Alliance

Ack, I didn't actually read your entire post Vengerak, mainly 'cause you like to ramble on about the same thing over and over using up my time. Heh, but I would like to point out one thing. That is that this forum is used by any age. I remember when I was younger, and anyone who would say any of those words you so skillfully avoided actually saying would be almost automaticly told on and sent to the school office. Since this is a board for all ages, then we have to understand that what isn't offensive to you, can be offensive to others. LOL, i even remember in grade 6 when my friend found a swear in one of the classroom novels and her parents complained to the principle!

No matter what the context, those words could be considered bad by other people. even though I always thought the word "cap-with-an-r-after-the-c" was no big deal, it may not be no big deal to 'lil jonny.

Vengerak

You're a fine one to talk about rambling ^_^. But yes, I do. If I'm using up your time, well, whatever. Let's face it, it's not like you'd be doing anything productive with that time.

I think that's disgraceful that everyone at your school would grass up people who swore. What are they called in America? Squealers? Not so popular over here. As for the swear-word-in-the-book story - that's just sad, & a prime example of the ridiculous censorship sweeping through the West.

Funny though, that you used the see-ar-ay-pee word in your post over in the Make More Unneeded Forums topic.

Holby

I remember one time, when the word "[edit]" was censored, in a post of yours, Raine.
You said "[edit], Shael" in response to her posting before you. The board turned it into asterixes, and led to some colourful interpretations.
Some of this censored business is a little extreme, but I'm for it for the most part. Different words are offensive to different people of different ages, and keeping the place clean is a nice atmosphere for all to be in.

[*shrugs* I merely uphold the rules that are already in place. It's not like I made the rules (except for the one about writing in all caps).]
I will not deleted this

Peace Alliance

Oops, it must have slipped. If its there it means it wasn't modded out... Meaning we can say it all we like!! ****, ****, ****!!!!

hehe, anyways, I am no american, I would appreciate it if you appologise for randomly assuming I am!

And i do have stuff to do with my time... If my [edit] brother would hurry up and get home! *curses*

Wait... Am i allowed to say "[edit]"???

I am a foolish, immature child. Yes.

[edit, Yay, my first edit. That included]

Vengerak

Yeah, I argued with Stormclaw, & such, & just about got away with it. Though, on reflection, I probably shouldn't have. I reckon you'll get in trouble for saying what I said, though. You shouldn't, but, eh, I did.

Please don't raise that topic back from the dead, by the way. That was a long time ago, & still worse than the "Honour" one. I was out of order.

Kewima's still wrong, by the way.

Peace, I never ACTUALLY SAID you were American. Check.  :P

I reckon Teufel will skin you for that. Anyone want to place bets?

Holby

My apologies if I offended you (That key word again). It was not my intention, only to bring up a point about what I thought was too extreme.
I will not deleted this

Vengerak

Meh. It takes a lot to offend me. I just want to avoid embarassing myself further ;) .

*Shivers* There's something about that winking emoticon that brings to mind a pervert.

Veranor

I'm up for bets, Holby and Peace's post? I bet you they'll be moderated before 8:00 P.M. Eastern Time tonight?
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Peace Alliance

You can't say PERVERT on these forums... can you??

Veranor

No you can't, so that makes Raine's post too.

EDIT: The ironic thing you have to point out is that this is not off topic.
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org