Promisance License

Started by Burninate, December 28, 2003, 07:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riverpaw

Er... no. QMT Epi is not their game. Anyhow, I don't want to be the one to spark a flame war, so I'll just leave. *ducks*
I am back. First to notice gets a cookie...

*ten years later*

Oh.

mice of might

No Austin he isn't angry. Don't get the wrong idea as to why he is arguing this. I believe it is somply to challange the admins.
user posted image
Love the (forum) skin your in!

calria

I think that the main concern that carries weight is the concern over the game's security. From the sound of it, anyone who can read code decently might be able to find significant loopholes in the game's systems, which, if exploited, could allow for hacking etc to take place.
Given the fact that certain members of Burninate have exploited similar things in the past, I'm really not suprised that Retto's adament about that one.

Nohcnonk

Hehe, I say this is the bottom line: if the Admins don't want to release the code, then you simply do not question their decision. they most likely have good reason, and if you don't like it, leave.

calria

Arguing that point isn't going to get anywhere with the boys of Burninate, I'm afraid...

mice of might

Quote from: NohcnonkHehe, I say this is the bottom line: if the Admins don't want to release the code, then you simply do not question their decision. they most likely have good reason, and if you don't like it, leave.
You don't think its worth arguing for a just cause? I don't believe this arguement is entirely pointless, I do, however, believe that it has gone on too long. If the something is wrong, I always believe it to be right to argue against it. But its the manner that the arguement has been brough up that troubles me. Like I said before, Burninate has set a deadline, why not leave the admins alone until then?
user posted image

Burninate

Quote from: calriaI think that the main concern that carries weight is the concern over the game's security. From the sound of it, anyone who can read code decently might be able to find significant loopholes in the game's systems, which, if exploited, could allow for hacking etc to take place.
Given the fact that certain members of Burninate have exploited similar things in the past, I'm really not suprised that Retto's adament about that one.
Well, I believe bugs were found in VI. And you know, that was close source. You people have little faith in Retto's coding ability you know.
~Veranor, The Beatles, Nevadacow, Devari~
Dear Forums,
This happened once before,
When I came to your door,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,
They said you were not home,
That's a lie,
No reply, No reply.

?Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world..."

Burninate

Erm... we /are/ leaving it alone. We are just saying, January 7, and you people are doing the talking. Am I not right?
Also, our wish of course is not to use the source or to exploit it for bugs, at least, not in a way that blatantly copies RWL like the first Warbands. It is simply to further develop on good code, which is the purpose of open source.
I also wish to note that at this point, I am entirely free of Warbands II development. I worked on WB I. Warbands I credited RWL, I always put it in the credits, and even had a scrap with Karlin about it. (Which is also one of the things Stormclaw accused me of...) At any rate, blame Karlin...
I don't know at this point if FaF will even be under TSOR's wing, as Vera and I are doing the coding, and we are not affiliated with TSOR that strongly. At any rate, I wish to make it a TSOR game (endorsement), but I would like to be able to credit RWL, so if I can remain solely responsible for it (including the credits), I will almost surely release it under TSOR. And that is my opinion on that matter.
Nohc, you are a bit wrong - because what RWL is doing is illegal, so it is not a question of the Administrators' willingness, it becomes a legal matter. Of course it need not be resolved legally, but with a legal backing, if you catch the difference.
Dear Forums,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,
That's a lie,
No reply, No reply.

mice of might

I believe even if you and Vera did the coding, shouldn't it still be affiliated with TSOR because Karlin helped you think of the advances in the game? At least thats what I heard happened.
user posted image

calria

I'd like to know if I'm credited in FaF, since I helped Karlin with some of the earliest graphics for it when it was first getting designed...
hmmm...

The Weasel Liberation Mov

Quote from: mice of mightI believe even if you and Vera did the coding, shouldn't it still be affiliated with TSOR because Karlin helped you think of the advances in the game? At least thats what I heard happened.
Um... I don't think so. Perhaps the original idea for Warbands was from Karlin, but I doubt much in FaF was even his idea.
Highest rank on Regular: 1st
Highest rank on Turbo: 9th

mice of might

Quote from: The Weasel Liberation MovementUm... I don't think so. Perhaps the original idea for Warbands was from Karlin, but I doubt much in FaF was even his idea.
So your saying you know all of whats going to be in FaF? The vibe I seem to be getting is that its all pretty secret. Mind telling the rest of us whats going to be so amazing?
user posted image

Burninate

Yes, we mind, that is, we won't tell you.
Devari, or the WLM, is on the testing team, so that is how he knows...
Dear Forums,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,
That's a lie,
No reply, No reply.

caedo caelestis

Beatles, you've completly missed my point.

I fully acknowledge your correctness in your accusation that the admins have violated GPL.

But what you keep failing to see is that you are wasting your time. Even if you did report RWL to QMT the most they would do is issue a warning, if even. Then if the admins ignore their request, that would probably be the end of it.

You think you can bring everything into a real life legal battle, but it won't work. Lawyers cost money, think QMT is going to front out 100s to 1000s of dollars to fight over source code (open source to top it off) to an online game? Your out of your ...ing mind. Then think about what happens if the admins somehow win in court? The chances of QMT getting counter sued for court costs? Is it really worth it? Hardly. That's if the judge doesn't throw it out to start.

My lawyer bill was $940, and we ended it before a trial was even conducted.

Burninate

In A.D. 2004
War was beginning.
Retto: What happen ?
Boze: Somebody set up us the GPL.
Shael: We get post.
Retto: What !
Shael: GD post come on.
Retto: It's Them !!
Burninate: How are you gentlemen !!
Burninate: All your base are belong to us.
Burninate: You are on the way to QMT.
Retto: What you say !!
Burninate: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Burninate: HA HA HA HA ....
Shael: Retto !!
Retto: Take off every 'source' !!
Retto: You know what you doing.
Retto: Move 'source'.
Retto: For great injustice.
Dear Forums,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,