Messing up the servers

Started by Retto, December 23, 2005, 08:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogun

Hm, suprised about Lunarpages acting like that. I use LunarPages as well, find them to be a great host and have wonderful customer support.
My siggy died :(

Gen. Volkov

LOL. Nevada, I highly doubt Retto is going to adopt the FaF codebase, for one thing, its a prom codebase so just as vulnerable to attack, and two, why would it consume less? It does more than RWL does.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

bjornredtail

FAF has fixed a number of the security bugs in Prominance. As far as preformance, it could go either way.... Perhaps I should do some proper load testing someday.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Retto (on Vacation)

The report from the 24th said that we went from using 1.7% of the daily average CPU to 0.31%.

That looks like a huge change, and while they haven't said anything definitively, I think we should be alright. I am thinking that there might be some issues in the turns.php code in dealing with dead warlords (perhaps, I haven't had time to look at it too much. I think there are some things we can improve upon, though), and so resetting the servers might help. When I get back home, we'll reset reg, and bring back normal (perhaps a bit faster? Input?) speed turns. I'll get the CPU down from that, and then we'll do Turbo.

Gen. Volkov

Wow... that is a HUGE change. If I had to guess, I'd say there is a problem somewhere in the turns code. As to faster turns in reg, well, a bit higher turn limit and maybe 2/every 10min? I dunno, but a 3-4 day wait on reg to refil is a bit ridiculous. We should try and speed up the pace just a bit. Like 0 turns and 0 stored refilled in both in 2 days? Or a period of time with a faster turn cycle, or day. Like Joe had in Hack, or you have in Turbo? I dunno. I'll see what's in suggestions.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Peace Alliance

2/10 wouldn't be a bit higher... that would be twice as high... doubling the speed? are you nutso?

heh, i love reg the speed it is... makes it a very stable, political, and strategic game. A faster pace would take away some of the stratagising and politics.... it would make soloing easier too

cloud

I'd vouch for an increase in speed. It's way too slow the way it is and causes a quick loss of interest for anyone not as boring as peace.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Gen. Volkov

Hey, it was just a suggestion Peace. I don't see you making any.

Dead Eye

Keep the speed. It's how I like my regular. Notice I never play turbo. I love the politics and strategy involved in regular.
Dead Eye Trueflight of the Seas, Servent to the Emperor and Empress of the Northlands<br><br><a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha' target='_blank'>http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha</a><br><br>Spokesperson for The winter clan. <br><br>Part of the ROC since some time in October-Nov

Neobaron

I, too, like reg the way it is...

Normally politiking is all that sustains me as I havent any real playing talent yet =-P

I have the second or third oldest account still alive on reg and if you look at mine versus PAs attacks/defenses you'll see what i mean. ;-)

---

Why dont we speed turbo down a bit instead?

Making 2 runs in the span of 24 hours gets kinda hard, and id also like to see 2 month reset periods on it. It doesnt take a lot of talent to build an army of rats in 5 or so runs and just pummel everyone for a month if ya know what im saying. 
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Wolf Snare

I'm supporting that idea. Maybe more people would play turbo if it wasn't so fast paced. Besides a change wouldnt be bad.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

cloud

the point of turbo is to be fast paced. That's why I liked it, if I had a plan set out there was only one day where things could mess it up instead of a week.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Gen. Volkov

I know I would play turbo more if it wasn't as fast... but I'd also like reg more if it was faster. But that's just me.

Retto

One of the problem with all the dead warlords was that, with the way we were doing rankings, it assign everyone their new rank (even if it was the same as their old one) every 10 minutes of every hour of every day. With over a thousand accounts, and the processing we do on each query to ensure saftey, you can imagine the load. So I just added a check to make sure that the new rank is different than the old rank when we assign one. We'll see by tomorrow how that affects the usage statistics, and go from there.

In the mean time, Reg turns are moving normally again. You all still want a reset?
The 'ittle otter,
Retto

cloud

I'd prefer one, since my account got deleted for some reason.
-Kilk