Major announcement!!! Staff change!!!

Started by wolf bite, August 29, 2006, 04:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf bite

Major announcement!!! Staff change.

It was late at night when TJ on his nightly rounds spotted a light on in the upper tower. TJ almost investigated on his own, but then recalled his orders never to go into Retto?s workshop on his own. So the whole staff was wakened. Sheal, Peace and myself, with windy and TJ guarding our backs, busted into Retto?s workshop to catch the prowler. To our surprise it was Retto himself moving some boxes around. We were delighted that after his long absence he had returned. But then we noticed he was putting things into the boxes. We asked what he was doing and he said he had forgotten some things. We were all confused. Then Retto said, ?Did you not get the memo?? as he pointed to a letter stuck to the wall with a dagger. Peace pulled the letter down and read it in disbelief. ?Sir, it says here that you advocate your crown?? Retto then reached in his dresser and pulled out some keys and tossed one to each Admin, ?These are the keys to the safe of the server.? Retto then picked up his boxes and left the room mumbling something about always leaving yourself a back door.

Thus the three assistant Admins have just taken full authority of Redwall. The three of use have been looking at each other with slanty eyes as we all want dibs on the top tower. Peace has been staying in his room sharpening his swords. Sheal has been seen in the kitchen cooking with a wild smile on her face. The demand for food testers has increased in the Admin palace.

Wolf Bite

Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Neobaron

So... does this mean regular resets?

Can we advertize to improve numbers?
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Gen. Volkov

I'm surprised at you Wolf, it's abdicate, not advocate. Advocate means to support something, abdicate means to give up, usually a throne.

Also, does this mean new mods and new asst. Admins?
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

White Fang

To go with the pattern...does this mean the coding's going to get fixed and the nerfed race-specific Leadership abilities will get a balancing?

Peace Alliance

Personally, i'm looking forward to what we will be able to accomplish now. Retto was productive when he was willing to stick around.

I wish we could have had a going away party.

wolf bite

I really thought this topic would get a lot of response. I am not sure that the people that call this world home fully realize the importance of what is going on.

Retto is just a kind guy that spends his time trying to make others have fun. With the help of Bose they made this world that has lasted 3+ years and at one time had about 500 people. He was then attacked, insulted, belittled, hacked, and spammed. This all stopped it from being fun for him, and I don?t blame him. He did however made one mistake, he held his anger, that should have been against a few, against the community as a whole. Being here became work for him, not enjoyment. Still he lasted almost 2 years more. But every time he did something, it was never good enough for a few. In time he lost all interest. We should look at this from the viewpoint of all the good things Retto has done and the thousands of hours he has spent for the enjoyment of others. A party? I would say so.

As far as what next? The options are many. Sheal, Peace and myself have full power to do anything we want.  We have not been able to sit down yet and figure out what that will be. I?m not even sure if we all have to agree, 2 votes make things happen, or we pick one of us as main admin. What we do know is what has to be done and the order of importance of the different things. This will take some time to make the change over. We ask everyone to hold with us and have faith that we will restore your community to the great place that is was and will be again. We may need your help, your advice, your support, and even your understanding for our mistakes along the way.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

Gen. Volkov

I understand that wolf, but I have my own issues with the guy after nearly a year of neglect. I understand him getting frustrated, but if it was no longer fun, he should have handed over power a long time ago, not now, after so many people have left because RWL ceased to be a fun place for them as well. I'm sad to see him go, and I thank him for all he has done, and I do apologize if I was one of the people he thought was attacking, insulting or belittling him. I was upset with him, but I tried not to do those things on the forum, because it's disrespectful. However, it seemed to me that he was just letting RWL slowly die, and he didn't seem to want to relinquish power.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

bjornredtail

QuoteRetto is just a kind guy that spends his time trying to make others have fun. With the help of Bose they made this world that has lasted 3+ years and at one time had about 500 people. He was then attacked, insulted, belittled, hacked, and spammed. This all stopped it from being fun for him, and I don?t blame him. He did however made one mistake, he held his anger, that should have been against a few, against the community as a whole. Being here became work for him, not enjoyment. Still he lasted almost 2 years more. But every time he did something, it was never good enough for a few. In time he lost all interest. We should look at this from the viewpoint of all the good things Retto has done and the thousands of hours he has spent for the enjoyment of others. A party? I would say so.
A bit one sided... Retto tried to steal something that belonged to all of us. For that he diserved much of the anger directed aginst RWL. For his insistance that he was morrally right to close the source to BAXX, his systamatic attempts to destroy those who stood aginst him in this effort, his list of enemies and his efforts distort history in reguards to all of this, I do not quite forgive him. Though this change in the administration of RWL is the first step in the right direction.

Perhaps now development may resume... Perhaps the complete and up-to date version of the BAXX source code can be published? Perhaps whomever takes over development will abondon the 'shoot messanger upon sight' attitude to bug reports and security? I can only hope... Only then shall the sins of Retto and RWL be absolved. When your orgnization has done that, you will have regained my respect and that of many others, for whatever that is worth.

This asside I am, perhaps excessively, hopeful for the future of RWL. I say this as people don't seem to play this kind of game as much anymore. I have seen many a well operated Prominance go south... So rebuilding RWL to its former glory is going to be diffacult to say the least. But somehow I would like think that it can be done... Can't see a rational reason for why (:)), but somehow I think it can be
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

The Beatles

Thanks for posting the link to this, Bjorn.

I agree with what he's said, I just have some comments to make on Wolf's post. You three admins do not lead "Redwall", merely a small Redwall site with about 30-40 active members.

Also, in its heyday it had up to 150 members, not 500.

Otherwise, this posting seems to be merely a formalization of the de facto situation.

White Fang

Beatles, wolf bite wasn't trying to say they lead "Redwall," he was merely using an analogy. Note the terminology used throughout the entire post.

Also, this isn't just a formalization; as far as my understanding goes, Retto wouldn't let anyone really touch his coding. Now, the three Admins can change it so far as they see fit.

wolf bite

Thanks guys for stopping by, but can?t we keep this all up an up note?

Of course my opinion of what happed is  ? well ? my opinion. Whether some of Retto?s past actions were that of a difficult angry person, or a responsible Admin making the best decisions he thought at the time can be debated forever. Frankly this has all been stated repeatedly with lots of animosity and is presently a mute point. Someone?s retirement party is hardly the time to bring in rusty picket signs.

I don?t think I ever said we have taken over the rights to Brian Jacobs? work, only run a site whose name happened to call itself ?Redwall Warlords,? shortened to ?Redwall? and ?RWL.?

500 one-time members was a wild guess. At one point it was documented the highest number of players on our regular server and it was in the hundreds. Then adding in those role playing on the forum without game accounts to even being higher. What that exact number is I don?t remember. Maybe between 300 to 500 people. But really, what does it matter?

I am not on the attack, please don?t put me on the defensive. The people at F&F have long wished for different management to talk to, and now they have it. With them going through some of the same difficulties that we are it is time to put away the swords and learn from each other to better both places.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

The Beatles

Righto, I stand corrected on the "Redwall" point. I still maintain it's ambiguous at best, but never mind. That and the ridiculously high estimate of members just comes off as arrogant if you don't mind me pointing it out. Then again, perhaps it's prejudices based on the past catching up with me.

We can re-create the section of the FAF forum for discussion of relations if you like. I believe the ball was in your court when discussions halted, but maybe we weren't getting anywhere. Feel free to PM me to re-create the section.

wolf bite

Thanks for the responsible post Beatles. Your offer is kind and possible, but a bit early since we are still putting things together.

Maybe this is a good time to go over with everyone in the community exactly what is going on in the reorganization.

All 3 Admins maintain full and equal power to what Retto had over our site. Retto has a back door left open to him just in case we take down the server. (Hehe)

No promotions or staff changes are being considered at this time, please don?t ask.

In order to organize, we have separated the responsibility into 3 sections and each of us has taken that responsibility. We will gather information, list duties, and proposed changes. The head of a department may make Minor changes without any further approval. Major changes will be discussed among all Admins and required all 3 votes to proceed.

Sheal ? Code Department ? oversees the code and approves changes.
Peace ? Game Department ? oversees the games and approves changes.
Wolf Bite ? Forum Department ? oversees the forum and approves changes.

Further there is the Advertising Department. I have taken the task (since my other department is easy) to keep the list of ideas but still require the other Admins before making any decisions.

Anyone that has something to add or questions can either post in the pined topics for the Department Head to read or contact them directly.

The staff will be having regular meetings to go over our findings.

(Note to Admins: This is how I understand the last meeting, if I misstated anything please correct my post)

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

The Beatles

???

Shael is going over code? {The statement which was previously here has been removed due to Personal Attacks on more than one member of RWL} I doubt that, even given all her other abilities and given her willingness, she can handle that task well.

Well, anyways, you're in a state of flux just now, and no doubt have more thorough plans for the future. I doubt you'll be making many code changes until you do find someone though.

Edit: Please note that personal attacks will not be tolerated on the forums.
~Mod Duties

wolf bite

Our Lady Sheal has many secrets as the exotic woman that she is. Seems her major is computer science and she is in a dorm full of geeks. Today was her first day looking over the code and has found and fixed over 6 bugs. I don?t know whether she will decide to make this just a temporary or do a full work over. But for now I have a smile across my jaws.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite