1 (4.8%)
3-5 years
4 (19%)
Forever.
16 (76.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Holby

Quote from: Firetooth on July 29, 2011, 06:26:42 AM
From what I hear, boze, retto and stormclaw all knew each other really well-in real life iirc.

Plus, RWL's only really developed under retto from what I can tell, originally it was just a QMT copy with some different values. Plus, the site did nearly go down with retto from what WB says. Also, the game had a bigger community when most the developers joined up.

I'm not saying it wont last forever (I hope it does) but I'll just be a little cautious.
I'm sure Boze et al knew each other as members of the ROC, but I wasn't aware that it was an IRL thing.

The original game was just QMT with the names changed, I don't think any values were different. Retto did a fair bit of development in the beginning, but the changes weren't overly drastic, bar the attacking system. After BAXX was released, Retto ceased to do pretty much anything until he left. Which meant there were about three years where the game didn't change at all.

Obviously the game had a bigger community in the first year. There was a huge ROC crowd, and the game's newness drew people. I don't think it's fair to compare 2002-2003 to now, though. Since you've been here, though, (2007ish?) numbers have grown.

I will not deleted this

Dark Claws

Even if I'm the only player, I won't stop. Plus that makes me an automatic emporer (possibly the only way I could achieve such status)!
Welcome the most annoying person on Earth, oh look Dark Claws just walked in.

@(*_*)@. Either a monkey, or Princess Leai on drugs.

What happens when a permanent resident deletes their account?

Like an assistant

Gen. Volkov

Quotevolkov would feed them barbed wire as a treat

YUM!

Lovable as ever Volky

My nickname is apparently Grumpus. Might as well live up to it.

It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Ungatt Trunn II

The Federation may die, but RWL lives forever! And because of that, WE live forever!

But we won't die either. We are no. 1 exporter of spam.

Feeling down in the summer heat? Come bask in the radioactive glow of Spa! Complete with the crystal purity of nuclear winter.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

The Lady Shael

Quote from: Holby on July 29, 2011, 06:05:04 AM
The game has never rested on a single person. (Although it feels like Shael has been holding everything together since almost the dawn of time.)

Quote from: Neobaron on July 29, 2011, 07:11:20 AM
As Matt said, RWL has persisted on the will of Shael and almost nothing else.

Awww. I can't help it, I really enjoy it. :) My family and friends don't understand it, and sometimes even I don't. But I know it makes me happy to see you guys having fun and making friends, so that's what keeps me going.

And I agree with Holbs, if we were going to go inactive due to us being "adults", it would have already happened. I remember thinking about the future 6 years ago, wondering if RWL would still be around. I figured I'd post a bit in college, but it would slowly phase out and I would stop being active after I graduated. Definitely didn't happen. Every so often I'll see people making friends, learning something new, maturing/growing up a little, and moments like that make being a staff member here very rewarding. As long as I keep seeing that in the community, I'll still be here trying to keep it going. :)

Okay, enough about that, might start tearing up.

Are we allowed to be honest about Retto these days or is he still in that weird "we remember him for what we wanted him to be rather than what he was" zone?

We can say what we want about him as long as we're still respectful of all the time and effort he put into his projects. He helped RWL become more than just a promisance, but he wasn't the best administrator. Definitely would have helped if he hadn't ditched an active community without saying a word or passing it down to someone else.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Kilkenne

Nostalgia plays a bigger role as time goes on too, which is what keeps a lot of us around I would imagine. If Volkov and Holby weren't around I would have nothing to come around for. Even though I am not as involved with them as I once was here and elsewhere, it is fun to remember.

I see how it is.

Also, this'll pretty much be around as long as Shael wants it to be. Ollie has the domain and hosting under his name and pays the 7 dollars a month for hosting or whatever, but I know that windy regularly backs up the forums, and I'm assuming that Shael has a local version of the game source (and [redacted] does too, probably)...What this means is that it'll never go away until Shael wants it to. Or gets drunk and deletes everything. This is my current task.

Neobaron

I've known them both for about a decade dear. Nothing personal. :P
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Kilkenne

"I'M SORRY KILK WE HAVE ONLY KNOWN EACH OTHER FOR EIGHT YEARS THIS IS INSIGNIFICANT"

my friendship backbone

Neobaron

I've known you for like 3 months.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Shadow

To be fair, most things pale in comparison to Holby
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

QuoteTo be fair, most things pale in comparison to Holby

And Volkov, don't forget Volkov. LOL.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Kilkenne

Dark Claws

Three months? How are you still here?
Welcome the most annoying person on Earth, oh look Dark Claws just walked in.

@(*_*)@. Either a monkey, or Princess Leai on drugs.

What happens when a permanent resident deletes their account?

Like an assistant

Kilkenne

Quote from: Holby on July 29, 2011, 08:04:44 AM
I'm sure Boze et al knew each other as members of the ROC, but I wasn't aware that it was an IRL thing.

Boze/Stormclaw were RL friends, this I recall quite vividly. Retto I'm not so sure, I think he might have been, but I have no recollection of this. I think I had this conversation with Firetooth once, but I might have said Retto too at that point, but the more I think about it, it was just Boze/Stormclaw.

Ashyra Nightwing

I don't remember Boze and Stormclaw being friends at all. Then again, I was 11. I may have missed that bit. Retto I don't think so - there was the whole thing where no-one knew what he looked like if I recall correctly.