An idea that would make RWL Simply stunning!

Started by Gears, June 04, 2012, 08:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gears

So, I just had this AMAZING idea. It doesn't mess with already made mechanics, just adds on to it. Here's the gist of things:

You have a warlord, right? What if you could detach that warlord, and roam around singly, or with your army? You could buy weapons, supplies, and armor to aid you. You would still have this gui, but there would be a button like "Go adventuring" Or something like that, with other buttons to purchase armor and weapons for you warlord. Then you would go to a map-like thing, where you would have a square to designate where you were. The map would be traversable with buttons indicating the direction you were traveling, like east, west, north, or south. There would be npc's of sorts, that you could talk to, and enemies you could run into. There would be forts to camp out in, and maybe a real-time day-night cycle, so more monsters are out at night, and you travel slower. Classic locations would be there, like marshank and redwall, but there would also be things kinda like dungeons, or enemy forts you could attack. Before i get called out, this idea was derived from:
Dwarf fortress
Mount and blade
Improbable island

Tell me what you think. :)

Shadow

It would be lovely, but I think you have unrealistic expectations of the number of people who code for this game (currently 3), the amount they are being paid (nothing) and the time they have to invest in it (a few hours on the weekend).

Which is to say, if you have a team of developers working full time and getting paid to develop it, maybe, but it's just not possible with the resources available.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gears

Quote from: Shadow on June 04, 2012, 09:06:48 PM
It would be lovely, but I think you have unrealistic expectations of the number of people who code for this game (currently 3), the amount they are being paid (nothing) and the time they have to invest in it (a few hours on the weekend).

Which is to say, if you have a team of developers working full time and getting paid to develop it, maybe, but it's just not possible with the resources available.
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. But then again, if they were so inclined, they could just do it bit by bit, at their own pace, if they really liked the idea. I DO realize it would require loads of work, if i knew how, i would help. :/

P.S. Your response was maybe just a *bit* cold, maybe that's just me. I'm new, so i don't know much. ^_^

Shadow

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as cold ^_^

Welcome to RWL :)

Do keep the ideas coming, but you have to be realistic. Anything with animation is probably not going to happen =/
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Krowdon

Quote from: Gears on June 04, 2012, 09:09:47 PM
Quote from: Shadow on June 04, 2012, 09:06:48 PM

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. But then again, if they were so inclined, they could just do it bit by bit, at their own pace, if they really liked the idea. I DO realize it would require loads of work, if i knew how, i would help. :/

P.S. Your response was maybe just a *bit* cold, maybe that's just me. I'm new, so i don't know much. ^_^

Hi! Welcome to RWL. :3

I am really fond of this idea.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Gears

Thanks. :D It was Krowdon's idea in the first place, to post.

Gears

Quote from: Shadow on June 04, 2012, 09:21:41 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as cold ^_^

Welcome to RWL :)

Do keep the ideas coming, but you have to be realistic. Anything with animation is probably not going to happen =/
No, you prolly didn't it was just me. Thanks! But yeah, I wasn't expecting animation, more like a stratego-type grid with words for locations. When you would click a direction to travel in, you'd move one  square in that direction when the page refreshed. So no animation involved. :) Pretty much what they'd be working with now.
Here's a pic:

The blue is you, "new" Is a location. That's all it would be. Text, and a little gui like we have now. :)

windhound

Hey Gears, welcome!

I've pondered doing a live map before, but there's some fairly serious issues with fragmentation etc. 
The whole "wander the world" is an entirely separate concept, its not really so much a feature add to the game as it would be a module of sorts.

An example of a more doable feature would be something like drops while scouting -- random events, like "you raided a farm while scouting, +5,000,000 food" etc.

At the moment though, there's a decent list of things to be patched up already.
Feel free to post ideas, just don't take offense if we're not able to implement them

Cheers!
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gears

Thanks alot! I realize that this probably wouldn't be implemented, but it would still be really cool. But you could only see your self kinda thing. But yeah, that's good! Thanks!