Pykrete

Started by Krowdon, May 13, 2013, 06:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krowdon

Does anybody know a good way to make this? I'm doing a project with it in environmental science but all the sawdust settles to the bottom of the water. Is that okay?
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

windhound

I haven't, but I'm going to hazard a guess you're not using enough wood pulp.
Google sayeth its 14% wood pulp and 86% water.  You're going to want to do that by weight, say 860g of water and 140g sawdust.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete -- the pile of wood shavings is much, much larger than the water. 
The idea seems to be for the wood pulp to absorb nearly all the water, giving the resulting ice block a fiber structure.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Krowdon

Quote from: windhound on May 13, 2013, 08:02:07 AM
I haven't, but I'm going to hazard a guess you're not using enough wood pulp.
Google sayeth its 14% wood pulp and 86% water.  You're going to want to do that by weight, say 860g of water and 140g sawdust.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete -- the pile of wood shavings is much, much larger than the water. 
The idea seems to be for the wood pulp to absorb nearly all the water, giving the resulting ice block a fiber structure.

I see! Thanks, I'll try it out that way and let you know. I'll take pictures too. :)
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Gen. Volkov

You can also do it with newspaper. Get a bunch of newspapers, soak them in water, then freeze.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Krowdon

Pykrete was a success. I had my block of Pykrete and my block of ice, and we timed how long it took each of them to melt in heated water.

I don't know if that was the best method, but that's what we could do in class.

The Pykrete took 3 times longer to melt than the regular ice did.