Pokemon Red as played by 20k people

Started by windhound, February 15, 2014, 08:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

Just.......  lol
Apparently there's a 20-40 second input lag as well, so how anything actually gets done who knows
http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon/c/3726150
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

windhound

They did beat Surge though, so progress!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Holby

That was a painful minute I watched for. STOP BRINGING UP THE FREAKING MENU.
I will not deleted this

windhound

Current Pokemon
I'm pretty sure DUX is a farfetched and ABBBBBBK( is whatever starter

windhound

Oh my goodness.
12 hours stuck in the same place.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1y0i08/they_have_been_stuck_here_for_6_hours/
Posted 6 hours ago.  They backtracked a little, but are now back to this spot where they are entirely dependent on some asshat not pushing down for like 10 forwards

Guessing they'll make some progress around 4am when the novelty wears off for most...  but then, this thing has been up for 3 days or something

windhound

windhound

Badge number 4!
Also, currently near 50k participants.  Its seriously impressive this is working at all.

Shadow

it would have worked so much better if they had binned it by 1/2 second intervals and performed the most voted action for each time chunk. Right now it's not clear to me how they choose which ones to pay attention to. I guess just whichever one happens to land right as the last one finishes?

windhound

I think the worst part is the 40 second time delay between the chat and the game, so the commands are not even remotely real time.

The game works like it would on a normal gameboy, if you tell it to walk forward it'll ignore any commands entered while its performing the action.  So it takes the next command, performs it, then chooses the next from the torrent -- ignoring any that fall between.

A voting thing that chose the most common command for a given time interval would be a vast improvement actually...

Shadow

I really hope this thing is tracking position over time. I'd love to see an animated path trace after this thing is finished.

Drakus

Wait...the same game played by all 20k people?

(facepalms silently, then facepalms audibly, then facepalms a charmander-sized hole into face while letting loose a scream of Rayquazian proportions)
meow

windhound

That's hilarious.  $4.99 subscribe fee

Also there's now a Democracy and Anarchy mode

Shadow

I wish they would elaborate on the vote-based system

windhound

Indeed

I tuned in briefly a few hours ago to see them battle Giovanni at the end of the hideout thing -- they got the final pokemon down to a few HP then used whirlwind 3x in a row which allowed it to KO Pidgeot (their last Pokemon).  Seriously painful
Checked just now and they're in the hideout elevator trying to get back to him...  just...  lol. 
Also, what happened to Charmeleon?  He's no longer in the party, which is sorta crazy.  If they somehow get rid of the Pidgeot they're screwed