Beginner Strategies

Started by wolf bite, February 17, 2006, 12:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf bite

I have often helped from the newest of members to some of our experts on how things work in the game. I have also written a ton of things in this forum on how to play the game better. I just don?t see it to be fair to privately tell any strategy because any ideas I have about play should be out in the open. Even subconsciously I could accidentally tell someone something that could harm a different player because of something I saw when on their account. In other words, I don?t want to take the chance of giving an advantage or being accused of doing so.

I have been asked a few times lately what a good beginner strategy is. I am not talking advanced Leader strats or Indy strats, just the basic easy to run strategies so people enjoy the game and stay long enough to see how fun it can be. So I toss out to you guys to give your best beginning strat. Like % of structures, Army Management, Tax rate, etc ?

This way new people can pick what they think will work for them.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Gen. Volkov

Beginner? Hmm. Well when I first started out, it was back in first era, when everyone was still discorvering stuff in the game, so I don't know how effective any advice I give would be. But the best I can give right now is, keep your land usage about even between the structures you build, except for markets and foragers, and keep your money and food making in the green. Money is produced by markets, and food by foragers. Tents make workers, which you want plenty of, as they boost money and food production. You want about even on everything but markets and foragers, those you want about twice as much as the others. That's a basic "indy" strat, leaders would be similar, except you want about 3 times as many huts as you have in everything else, cept for markets and foragers.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

cheeseanpickle

hmmm i dunno about markets when indying. the best way to learn well is learn the hard way. dont build markets as indy, use your troops to fund your turns and get used to running in red where cash is concerned. just enuff farms to feed your troops and just enuff leaders to keep a nice long shield up :)

Gorak

though I'd agree with cheese at other servers, not here
PM sucks butt in reg and BM is too limiting on # you can sell plus you ain't get squat for em.

I'm finding I'm having to adjust my Indy strat quite a bit to play here.
like adding markets to bring income up and so costs down as-well as building more farms to help subsidize my turn funding by selling grain and not rely so much on selling troops.

I'll be working it out for a little while longer here before I figure out how to get my Indy strat working well here
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Ruddertail

No, you don't need markets, at all. What I do is troop alternation. I start with one troop, attack with them till I'm almost out of cash, sell them, build another troop, attack with it, sell it. Then repeat until I've got about 300 turns left, then build normal massed troop until I'm done.

Or, you can run 25% camps. But I like all barracks and foragers.
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

wolf bite

Concerning indy strats, Most people tend to build rats or stoats because of the quick attacking power they have right out of protection. But there are other things to think about, such as consumption. Skiffs come the slowest (1 to every 8 Rats, 1 to every 2 stoats), but have a decent attack power of 6 for the trouble to get them. You can have a 1/3 of skiffs and have the same attacking power as rats. Thus your food and pay is much lower as you are feeding 1 not 3. But what is also not considered is that skiffs are not as hungry or greedy as rats or stoats, so each one eats less and asks for less pay. For these 2 reasons, Skiffs are much easier to run an indy with as you will not have to sell them off as soon to gather money and can have more barracks because you don?t need as many foragers.

I don?t recommend always running the same army type, but if just getting used to our server and being an indy player that plans on having an oversized army, this should required less adjustments.

Wolf Bite

Edit: typo WB
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Gen. Volkov

Hey, that's just how I would reccomend new people do it. Then once they have the basics, branch out. I personally do have markets. I can build more stoats on less land because they are eating less money. And tents can be quit useful.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

artu

i really dont see points in towers the only thing that happens when i build them they get destroyed :-D