English forum!!!

Started by ~>John<~, April 06, 2003, 07:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holby

Oh. Are these smilies human? I never thought of that. If so, why are they yellow? And why are their faces twisted into grotesque shapes? (Exaggeration, is the emphasis on this smiley discussion ;) )
I will not deleted this

Abby The Rat

I did not say they are human, I just said if they look like of a human gender, therefore gaining the gender they look like. If not, they have no gender.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

Holby

So we use non-gender specific and non-human little images to help express what we're saying?
Hmm...
;)
I will not deleted this

Abby The Rat

If you wish to put it that way, yes we could. In a nutshell, they act the facial expression we wish to use in this forum.

Holby

Ah, I learnt something about smileys today, then. B)  Anyhow, as I can no longer add anything to this discussion and I must sleep because there's school tomorrow, I wish you a good rest when you get home, and no teachers to bother you.
G'night Ad!
;)
I will not deleted this

Abby The Rat

G'night Holbs, I hope you get to read this before you go to bed.

Holby

Sorry, missed out on your post! Oh well, thanks anyway Ad!
(More awake now, so I can read what I post. And things make more sense in the daylight. *Nods*)
I will not deleted this

calria

Three points to make, quite amusedly...
*invents the word amusedly*

1) Holbs, do things ever make sense when you're around? If so, I'm in shock... *shocked*

2) The term "characters," as I understand it, refers to letters, numbers, and symbols. Basically, it's everything that you can type on your keyboard. It is most often used in the technical/computer lexicon, however.

3) :) ;) :D :) ;) :D

:blink:

Beem

Quote from: calria
Quote from: ~>John<~ok, start debating english....you first sentence is......

"The thought you thought thought was the thought that I thought was a thought, but you thought it was the same as your thought, when actually the thought you thought fought with the thought I thought, but when you realized that the the thought you thought hasn't ever been a thought that I thought, therefore you havn't ever thought that thought at the same time as me."

Now try saying THAT ten times fast  :P  <_<
Grammatically corrected:

"The thought you thought was the thought that I thought was a thought, but you thought it was the same as your thought, when actually the thought you thought fought with the thought I thought, but you realized that the thought you thought hadn't ever been a thought that I thought, and therefore you haven't ever thought that thought at the same time as I have thought the thought."
I do hope you do not mind if I join this.  The only problem I had with Cal's grammatically modified post was it's length.  A sentence shouldn't be that long, not when it can be broken down like so.

"The thought you thought was the thought that I thought was a thought.  But, you thought it was the same as your thought, when actually the thought you thought fought with the thought I thought.  However, you realized that the thought you thought hadn't ever been a thought that I thought.  Therefore you haven't ever thought that thought at the same time as I have thought the thought."

RWL: Skittles #17
Turbo: Kagewa no #9
Mini title: ?Aloof From all Grammatical Rules.?
"When the Emperor looks naked, the Emperor is naked."
"Let's all dance around under the rainbow until we get brutally assaulted with Skittles."

~>John<~

beem the point was its length
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Abby The Rat

Thanks for that Calria, so I was partly right. (The computer term bit)

And did I make sense? ~rises eyebrow~

~And his sunglasses magically popped on~ You know what I mean Holbs.

Beem

I don't think I totally understand, "the point was its length."  Could you ummm explain a bit more so I don't make such mistakes in the future?

RWL: Skittles #17
Turbo: Kagewa no #9
Mini title: ?Aloof From all Grammatical Rules.?
"When the Emperor looks naked, the Emperor is naked."
"Let's all dance around under the rainbow until we get brutally assaulted with Skittles."

calria

Quote from: Beem
Quote from: calria
Quote from: ~>John<~ok, start debating english....you first sentence is......

"The thought you thought thought was the thought that I thought was a thought, but you thought it was the same as your thought, when actually the thought you thought fought with the thought I thought, but when you realized that the the thought you thought hasn't ever been a thought that I thought, therefore you havn't ever thought that thought at the same time as me."

Now try saying THAT ten times fast ?:P ?<_<
Grammatically corrected:

"The thought you thought was the thought that I thought was a thought, but you thought it was the same as your thought, when actually the thought you thought fought with the thought I thought, but you realized that the thought you thought hadn't ever been a thought that I thought, and therefore you haven't ever thought that thought at the same time as I have thought the thought."
I do hope you do not mind if I join this.  The only problem I had with Cal's grammatically modified post was it's length.  A sentence shouldn't be that long, not when it can be broken down like so.

"The thought you thought was the thought that I thought was a thought.  But, you thought it was the same as your thought, when actually the thought you thought fought with the thought I thought.  However, you realized that the thought you thought hadn't ever been a thought that I thought.  Therefore you haven't ever thought that thought at the same time as I have thought the thought."
1) You cannot begin a sentence with the word "but." It's a conjunction.

2) Long sentences with correct syntactical annotation are a sign of advanced skills.

3) *muwah* I'm back again.

~>John<~

Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

calria

John, don't make me lecture you on meaningless posts! *waggles finger menacingly*
Especially don't make me do this when you haven't properly capitalized or punctuated your statement, nor made it into a complete sentence.

*smirks at herself*
Gad! What a witch I am!