Turn Rates

Started by Ian2424, April 01, 2012, 06:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peace Alliance

The intended purpose was not to improve the shape you're in ;)

Shadow

Quote from: Peace Alliance on April 15, 2012, 09:07:55 PM
Not that I think we have an legitimate statistic of either this month or last month, I think it looks like most peoples %'s went up. So it had a desired effect.

You've seen a grand total of 4 people's numbers, 3 of which are below 80%. Note that this is below 80% of 4 per 10 minutes, which is below 70% of 5 per 10 minutes. There is nothing at all in what we've seen so far in indicate that it has had the desired effect. What are you imagining?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Peace Alliance

Well lets ignore the fact that any stats we have are not reliable (your estimate of last months average turn use does not qualify as a representative sample, and with such a small population size we'd really need to get every last eligible stat to have any hope of an accurate number). What I really want to do is level the playing field so that the game isn't won by people who can devote time to do 2 runs a day. I wish we had last rounds stats, but even with this fix you can see how much turn use affects ranking:

So that graph should appease any dissenters who believe that somehow they can do well on RWL without spending most of your life using turns. But this is after the turn-rate change, and we cannot know how bad it was last round. Yes, sometimes you can end with a good rank without using many turns, but overall you are at a if you use 40% fewer turns, you are likely to be 50 ranks below.

Shadow

If you remove the outliers, ie, the ones who play like once a week and are obviously going to do poorly in comparison, then there is almost no relation there. The only group that is relevent for comparison between a 4 and 5 turn rate are the ones who are running at roughly once a day.

Let's try it at 5 turns again and get a similar comparison next round. Considering that the change is uniformly hated and has very questionable effect, I think it's worth the comparison.

Gen. Volkov

Yeah, that's a bad trend line. The extreme outliers are messing with it.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Peace Alliance

Outliars match the trend, but anyway ill do anothe one at the end.

Shadow

outliers are irrelevent because they were not affected by the change.

Your claim was that rank was positively correlated to turns used. Your aim in the change was to reduce that trend. Your case is supported by a horizontal trend line at 4/10. I claim that it will not actually be different at 5/10. Grab the data at the end of this round and we can make it 5/10 next round and compare.

Peace Alliance

Deal *shakes hands so it's a bet*

Sevz

Doesn't look like many people care (incl me). Even reg is less active. Oh well, no one listened anyways. Been a while since I posted but turn rates should be at 5per 10minutes then release 2stored turns. Alter hitlimit by making the same person unable to fail more than X/4 or so attacks per hour on the target. Prevents dodgy play.
Market tax is BS. Should go back to 5% commission for sales and 20% if removed or doesn't sell within 72.5 to 78 hours.
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.