Why did you join RWL?

Started by Shadow, March 21, 2011, 02:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

It occurred to me the other day that with people in so many different parts of the world and so many different places in life, there must be hundreds of different reasons for why everyone came here. I would like to hear your stories.

Perhaps a more important question: Why did you stay?

For me, I got introduced to the game through a friend of mine and got hooked immediately even though I was terrible at the time. I'm not sure what has made me stay these past 8-ish years (8 years?!). I think the community got its hooks into me and kept dragging me back. And now here I am, 21 next week and developing code for a kid's game ^_^

What's your story?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

The Lady Shael

Awww! I love this topic. Who was your friend? Did they play for long?

I was a part of the Redwall Online Community for about a year and a half prior to joining RWL. I was a huge fan of the Redwall series, and I joined many club sites, and tried to lead my own (all my attempts failed). I found a topic on the Terrouge forums (a Redwall e-zine) when Boze first put the game online, and it took me about a week to join. I guess I joined because it was unique: it was from the vermin point of view, and it was a game based on strategy, not creativity.

I was a noob, I went through the whole post-warring phase, "get-my-name-at-the-end-of-every-topic" obsession, etc etc. I sucked at the game, but I made great friendships with the people on the forums, most people just had an irresistible sense of humor and competitiveness, so I could never stay away for long.

When I came to RWL, I was a freshman in high school. 8 years later, I've graduated from college and now have a full-time job. Just today, someone at work brought up the Redwall series, and I was like, "! Umm. I actually love that series." "Really?" "Yeah....I kinda help run this game..." and I just feel like the conversation went downhill from there.

My mom still makes fun of me after five years of being in charge of the code. "How many players do you have now? Two?"

Sometimes it's still crazy when I think about how I've known people on RWL longer than my friends in real life, and I have never met (and possibly never will) anyone from RWL in real life.

I also think it's funny that there are some players on Reg who were toddlers when this game started. ^.^
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

SiegeMaster

i was ADDICTED to the Redwall Series. Probobly read each book twice, some 3 times, i was wonderin if there was a game for redwall and found this and a few others but i loved this the best.

Neobaron

Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

wolf bite

Bloodwake told me he was involved in an internet game. For parental safety I logged in to basically spy on him. Joined his clan the "Blades" managed by TJ. Found the game fun. Got sometime later on the forums. Started to know people. Watched them grow and change over time. Hang around to see how everyone's life turns out.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

The Lady Shael

~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Sharptooh

I joined because Firetooth joined, it looked like an awesome game and he really liked the community to

We were both hooked on the Redwall series (Although Conor a lot more than me) I think he just did a google search for "Redwall games" and after sifting through pages to find a decent one he found RWL

Quote from: The Lady Shael on March 21, 2011, 02:42:03 PM
Sometimes it's still crazy when I think about how I've known people on RWL longer than my friends in real life, and I have never met (and possibly never will) anyone from RWL in real life.

I still love the idea of a redwall convention although I doubt it will ever happen :( The players all live too far away and if I had to travel out of the UK I doubt I'd be able to make it for at least the next few years, maybe we could do like an online type convention (webcam? Skype???)

Uiblis

I was also a huge fan of the books, started surfing the Internet for anything Redwall related a few years back, and found this website.

I found the game appealing, joined up, and stayed ever since.
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Twilight Shadow

Google search lol
I stayed because I am a boss at this game and you guys suck at it jk...but really i would say because its themed based and I have never heard or played a texted based game before, the community is slowly growing on me even though I was hated for like 6 months

Krowdon

I found this game on a wikipedia page. I loved Redwall a lot (Still do) and just wanted to do something with it, and came here. I still play cause I like the game itself (The whole Warlords thing, used to want to do it IRL, know it isnt possible though. Take over Nations and things) and I got attached to the people. Mostly my clanmates.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

The Lady Shael

We are now the first result when you search for "redwall game". =) I think we're on the third page if you search for "redwall". We need to get up to the first page somehow.

I would totally be down for a convention, but I agree, Sharptooth, everyone lives so far away and plus a lot of you are still busy with school and other obligations.

Online convention would be cool. I think you can only talk to up to 10 people at once on skype though.

Quote from: Twilight Shadow on March 21, 2011, 04:54:20 PM
Google search lol
I stayed because I am a boss at this game and you guys suck at it jk...but really i would say because its themed based and I have never heard or played a texted based game before, the community is slowly growing on me even though I was hated for like 6 months

You've come a long way.  :P All of us have matured through our time on RWL. Alazar, Snare, even Peace all had their clashes with the RWL staff.

Quote from: Krowdon on March 21, 2011, 04:54:43 PM
I found this game on a wikipedia page. I loved Redwall a lot (Still do) and just wanted to do something with it, and came here. I still play cause I like the game itself (The whole Warlords thing, used to want to do it IRL, know it isnt possible though. Take over Nations and things) and I got attached to the people. Mostly my clanmates.

I really love the sense of comradery that EOTP has developed. You're almost like your own sub-community within RWL. Though I've always wished the rest of you posted more on these forums. A lot of members here would be more than happy to join in on the games you play on your clan forums.

Krowdon

Quote from: The Lady Shael on March 21, 2011, 05:01:02 PM
Quote from: Krowdon on March 21, 2011, 04:54:43 PM

I really love the sense of comradery that EOTP has developed. You're almost like your own sub-community within RWL. Though I've always wished the rest of you posted more on these forums. A lot of members here would be more than happy to join in on the games you play on your clan forums.

Which ones? I can make a topic with th rules in SPA.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

The Lady Shael

Any of them, I remember you had more before Reg reset. They looked fun which is why sometimes I couldn't help but join in.  :P

SiegeMaster

did RWL ever have a convention ???

Neobaron

If by convention you mean TJ and Sean meeting everyone ever, then yes.

Otherwise no.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.