Schooling method

Started by Rakefur, November 10, 2011, 05:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which schooling method do you use or have used?

Public
14 (70%)
Private
3 (15%)
Home
6 (30%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Briar

Please define "that sort of thing"
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Muse

The minute details, which I have to learn. Can you name me the year that King Nebuchadnezzar I invaded Canaan and sent the Jews into the first great _____?
Stop! Don't touch me there,
this is my private square!

Briar

At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Muse

Nope. The First Great Babylonian Exile of ____. See?

Briar

It's like 597 or 596 BCE.

And that would be Nebuchadnezzar II, not Nebuchadnezzar I. Nebuchadnezzar I is most known for driving out the Elamites and reestablishing the Babylonian boarders.

Muse

Yes, Nebucahdnezzar II was Second Great Babylonian Exile.

Briar

Why did you bring this up in this topic?

Muse

Just to show how little some things I learn in school are needed.

Briar

Oh. Well, if you are a historian/archaeologist in the Middle East that actually is needed knowledge to explore evidence of the exile.

Shadow

Once more - the point is not what you are learning. You are training your mind. Just like weight lifting.

Name one time when you will need the ability to lift a metal rod with a ball on either end using only your bicep. It's never going to happen. And yet the strength you gain doing it is applicable to many areas of life.

Nobody cares when King Suchandsuch did blah blah blah. The point is to learn to use your memory.

Nobody cares how the angles align in the specific triangle you are looking at. The point is to train your mind to follow a trail of logical inference to its conclusion.

Nobody cares about the details of what you are learning. The point is to take in the overall lessons and be able to generalize the specifics you learn to everyday life.

<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Firetooth

^Plus, it is pretty interesting to learn about what happened in the middle east/communist china/ancient rome and see how that has caused things to be how they are today. History also crosses over with R.E and politics.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Uiblis

Quote from: Shadow on November 13, 2011, 03:55:03 PM
Nobody cares Nobody cares Nobody cares

You're so harsh...
But also so correct.

Most situations in life won't take a single bit of knowledge. You can't expect one thing so solve every problem you come across.

Nothing is simple. But that's hard to grasp early on. Even I'm still overwhelmed by the complexities of real life. I was introduced to them by a math modeling competition, and then my brain died from the overload.  :P
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Gen. Volkov

QuoteI don't think many occupations should require their employees to have a degree (i.e mechanics, artists, plumbers, etc.) I feel theses are trade occupations and should thus be learned/taught through more of an apprenticeship type education.

There are things called trade schools, which teach specific skills like how to be a mechanic or a plumber. You get a an associate's degree. There is some benefit to that sort of formal education. It ensures that everyone starts with a common base, skills that everyone in that field will require, that can be built off of. An apprenticeship is a bit more slapdash in terms of what you learn, and probably gives you a bit less flexibility when you are done.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Raggon

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOMESCHOOLERS!!!!!!!
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Rakefur

Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012