Mid round release

Started by Shadow, May 01, 2012, 08:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

As promised, the final iteration of the attack system is now live:

attack buffs only succeed if you succeed in the attack - if your troops fail, your leaders don't even try.

offensive missions are back as pure leader mission, however, they only do half the damage of the attack buffs

question: do you guys want poison back as a buff/mission?

Anyway, this is the core of 3.0 as I had hoped it would be originally. At this point there will be tweaks to the balance and new features added (there are oh so many ideas for new features I don't know where to start), but the core of the game is more or less complete in the sense that I don't anticipate major modifications to the existing mechanics beyond said balance tweaks.

What do you guys think?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Pippin

so murder with just leaders would take how much health? i like that troops need to succeed now

and when will race specific missions come into play?
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Shadow

murder does 6*health/100 damage normally, and half that if leaders only. So if they have 100 health, it will do 3 (unshielded) and if they have 66 health it will do 2, for example.

Race specific missions should be a month or two, I am still not sure what to actually use for missions in many cases. Working on it.

Pippin

clan land farm please :D
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Wolf Snare

Casher has been reduced to the point where it's hardly a competitive strategy. The balance of the game has been interrupted with the indy boost and the casher reduce; there's no one buying the market. Resellers are scarce and cashers are even fewer this round.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shadow

yea, I may have taken casher down too much in comparison. I'll put it back in my next coding round next weekend if things stay this way. Though with prices dropping I think more people might try cashing to clean up. We'll see.

However, I think the reason for nobody buying is that there is a locker who is not cashing, and others are having trouble generating cash as a result.

Wolf Snare

It does appear that is the cause at a glance, but I've been paying closer attention as I myself was indying. Thing is, the locker only came to power in the last two days. Few have even bothered to cash this round, likely because of the hype that circulated before the round started (about an indy boost)....

Of course in trying it myself, I was able to produce a fair bit, but in an honest comparison with the land available, I was better off cashing as an indy race (likely due to decrease of consumption) then producing with 100 - 200 turns (this far outnetted cashing with a "designated cashing" race.) Perhaps If casher was brought back up to what it was initially (before this round started, at least) it may stand a better chance, because at this moment the market is (and has been all round) almost at a standstill. Several game dynamics are altered by a stagnant market; it's catastrophic in the long run..
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shadow

It will be interesting to see if it really is catastrophic

but don't worry, there are plans in the works to address all of it. Cashing will likely go back up, and some other tweaks should make it in next month to even things out.

Wolf Snare

Well now the game revolves around the market. To have the market go completely one sided will bear obvious consequences. There is no demand atm which has obviously driven prices down, but this hasn't necessarily coaxed players into switching strategies. The fundamental goal is to balance the races, but I feel that the recent change has shifted away from a balance.

Currently indies are dominating, but they are also at a disadvantage. They are forced to supply their own cash, and the few that have arranged partnerships for resource suppliers are now locking the land with relative ease. Did it not occur to you that the lock is a direct result of no cashers?
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shadow

That's the thing about a small player base. If I buff indy, everybody indies. It's not necessarily indicative of a balance issue until we see people actually non-indying alongside everyone else.

You could be right, of course, but the current state of the game isn't enough to determine that.

Wolf Snare

What are you, clueless?
What am I, a mirage?

I just told you I'm cashing. You know, for someone that wants me to help code you really don't take my word for things. Take some initiative, realize that no one is cashing or reselling for a reason, and while you're at it, quit being condescending. For someone who wants help with the balance so bad, I'd think you would glean some positive pointers out of what I say; contrary to what you believe, I'm not just here to make faulty suggestions to suit my own hedonistic desires.

Casher is flawed. Fix it.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shadow

Yes, you're cashing. One person.

Why do you always fly off the handle and assume that I am trying to be insulting?

I realize casher is weak compared to indy, but it's not clear that it is the huge problem you claim just yet. A stagnant market for indiers won't sustain itself, something will happen to rectify the issue (ie, more people will cash when prices bottom out). When it does, we can gauge the results.

Relax. It's been a week. It will get fixed when I have a clearer picture of what the problem actually is. I appreciate that you are helping me get that picture. Please continue to do so and be patient in the meantime. There are some fundamental inbalances between the troop types that need to be addressed which will mitigate this issue, but it will require some testing and playing around before it is ready to go.

Kilkenne

Shadow doesn't want to fix anything and hates freedom. You heard it here first. He is ruining your game.

Shadow

Quote from: Pippin on May 06, 2012, 10:33:11 AM
so murder with just leaders would take how much health? i like that troops need to succeed now

and when will race specific missions come into play?

re this post, you might want to get excited for next round

maybe