Lame

Started by Gen. Volkov, August 04, 2011, 11:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

So I got a new router for my house. Wireless. YAY! But it seems to have disabled the LAN in my house, so now the only computers that can get on the net are my computer and ones that can pick up a wireless signal. We tried to work it out, but it appears that the new routers from AT&T have compatibility issues with the type of LAN we have in the house. We called AT&T, and baffled the "tech support" guys. So they are sending a technician to the house. He will be here between 8AM and 8PM. LAME. I probably should have just replaced my wired switch router with a wireless version. I was just trying to simplify stuff! LOL.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Neobaron

Link to model of router and list # of computers in house attempting to connect plz.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Kilkenne

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on August 04, 2011, 11:06:40 PM
He will be here between 8AM and 8PM.

This is my favourite part. SIR, PLEASE STAY IN YOUR DOMICILE ON A BUSINESS DAY FOR TWELVE HOURS AND WAIT FOR OUR TECHNICIAN. "Can you be any more specific? This is kind of a hindrance to my day." WE ARE WORKING AS EFFICIENTLY AS POSSIBLE

Gen. Volkov

Quote from: KilkenneThis is my favourite part. SIR, PLEASE STAY IN YOUR DOMICILE ON A BUSINESS DAY FOR TWELVE HOURS AND WAIT FOR OUR TECHNICIAN. "Can you be any more specific? This is kind of a hindrance to my day." WE ARE WORKING AS EFFICIENTLY AS POSSIBLE

LOL, indeed.

Quote from: Neobaron
Link to model of router and list # of computers in house attempting to connect plz.

Router:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=KGZ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=2wire+2701HG+B&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1367&bih=938&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2749768969231134370&sa=X&ei=AsA8TtriJ6GtsAL_2Yk3&ved=0CDcQ8wIwAg

2 other computers in house
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

windhound

Eew 2Wire.  That's what I'm dealing with.

On its own I can see it being alright for most people, but the firewall is crazy restrictive (you can't turn it off) and broken (it says its forwarding the port, but it lieees).  DMZ puts it in a really, really weird mode.  It also has a really odd dhcp system, I think it keeps a log of mac addresses and permanently assigns an apparently random (def. non-sequential) IP to that mac address forever. 

I set it in bridge mode (which is hidden in a 'secret' separate setup page) and use a Linksys wireless router to handle the PPPoE login.  Worked well until it broke'd this past friday, DSL light on the front of the modem was blinking red even though the silly thing should just be passing it through.  Ended up calling to reset the DSL password and the modem is logging in, going to try to put it back in bridge mode tonight but the Linksys is being silly as well.

If you go to 192.168.1.254 you can see the router's setup page.  It'll tell you if the Ethernet ports are active
Worst comes to worst you should beable to reset the modem using the button on the back (~20 seconds) and re-run the setup - but I'm assuming you did this when you called support.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

We found out that it doesn't support the type of LAN we have. Apparently no one uses it anymore. The Ethernet ports work fine, so we have 2 computers connected to it, one with a really long Cat-6. We're going to get a wireless card for the other computer.