Making Armor

Started by Krowdon, September 19, 2011, 05:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krowdon

I'm working on a project (for fun) and it requires me to create a full body of armor. I dont know how crafty everyone is, but are there any suggestions for a durable (and hopefully inexpensive, because I do have a budget (if I go over my budget I have to put it off for a while. :(  ) material I could use?

Also, there are clear parts on the costume as well (its kinda like a Gundam type suit) and is there a type of maybe plastic or fibreglass that would be easy to mold into that shape?
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Rakefur

Could you show a picture of the suit?
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Krowdon

Thats mine I want to make. I'm helping a friend make a different one. (But I wont post that one)
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Dark Claws

If you want to try to make it for fun, you can make it entirely out of cotton, or polyester. If your midly serious, I'd say some parts use Plexiglass, others use plastic. What's your budget?
Welcome the most annoying person on Earth, oh look Dark Claws just walked in.

@(*_*)@. Either a monkey, or Princess Leai on drugs.

What happens when a permanent resident deletes their account?

Like an assistant

Krowdon

Quote from: Dark Claws on September 19, 2011, 05:37:03 PM
If you want to try to make it for fun, you can make it entirely out of cotton, or polyester. If your midly serious, I'd say some parts use Plexiglass, others use plastic. What's your budget?

I am making it to wear to conventions and to pass out Candy on Halloween. (and other places maybe) So I want it to last a while.

As of right now, I have about $500.

The internet suggests using craft foam. I'm unsure about that. (isnt craft foam really thin?)

Rakefur

Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

windhound

Craft foam would probably be the easiest to work with
Once you have it properly shaped, look for some sort of hardener paint - something that'll add a rigid shell.  I'm sure they exist but I'm not sure what it'd be called.
Quick google turned up - http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=125321  That forum seems moderately active, might look around and see if you can find out what other people use.

If you're feeling adventurous fiberglass is cheap and a pain in the butt to work with.  
A layer of fiberglass over craftfoam would certainly harden it up though
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ashyra Nightwing

Paper mache.
http://www.dltk-kids.com/type/how_to_paper_mache.htm

Use balloons to sculpt things like the shoulders and helmet, paper mache over them (use several layers) and then when they're dry pop the balloons and cut them into whatever rounded shape you need. Use thick card for the flat bits and then paint the whole thing (Acrylic paint's nice and shiny)
It's going to look a bit shoddy but that's part of the appeal.

I wouldn't recommend actually splashing out 500 bucks unless you actually know how to make a costume/have done this sort of thing before. I make a lot of costumes, I'm doing my degree in sculpture and I know for a fact I personally would not be able to make that. If you think you can do it then go ahead but I'd personally stick with paper and card. Google 'cardboard gundam' if you don't think this is going to work, there's some good ones out there. It won't last a long time but it's not going to take that long to make - you could always repair it/make it again :)

Also you can buy clear acrylic sheets off the internet, they might work well for the clear parts.

Genevieve

Ashyra stole my post :( Use paper mache and go on a $500 shopping spree!

Krowdon

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on September 19, 2011, 05:59:25 PM
Paper mache.
http://www.dltk-kids.com/type/how_to_paper_mache.htm

Use balloons to sculpt things like the shoulders and helmet, paper mache over them (use several layers) and then when they're dry pop the balloons and cut them into whatever rounded shape you need. Use thick card for the flat bits and then paint the whole thing (Acrylic paint's nice and shiny)
It's going to look a bit shoddy but that's part of the appeal.

I wouldn't recommend actually splashing out 500 bucks unless you actually know how to make a costume/have done this sort of thing before. I make a lot of costumes, I'm doing my degree in sculpture and I know for a fact I personally would not be able to make that. If you think you can do it then go ahead but I'd personally stick with paper and card. Google 'cardboard gundam' if you don't think this is going to work, there's some good ones out there. It won't last a long time but it's not going to take that long to make - you could always repair it/make it again :)

I believe that it is Possible for my friend and I to make these. And its not like we're going to spend a week on it. We're going to do some trial and error things, and spend months on this, making every little detail as close to accurate as we can.

I have not made a costume like this before, and look forward to it. I'm just seeing if anyone had suggestions I had not seen yet. (links look good you guys)

Thanks. :)

Quote from: Genevieve on September 19, 2011, 06:02:29 PM
Ashyra stole my post :( Use paper mache and go on a $500 shopping spree!

hahaha. I have nothing I really want to spend $500 on, and Why not make a cool costume with it?

Spending months of my free time. At least I'll be busy. :)

(Side notee: Other people have made this costume before:
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/213/8/1/bunny_wip_by_kubee-d42bzqa.jpg
http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/253/f/e/tnb__hero_02_by_orijunkpile-d49eui2.jpg so it isnt all impossible for me to do it. )

Ashyra Nightwing

If you don't have the craft skills the costume's going to look terrible/last 5 minutes no matter how much money you spend on materials. Just a warning.

Krowdon

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on September 19, 2011, 06:09:12 PM
If you don't have the craft skills the costume's going to look terrible/last 5 minutes no matter how much money you spend on materials. Just a warning.

My friend is pretty crafty. :)

Ashyra Nightwing

Either way I wish you luck. I'm off to make some X-Men jumpsuits for Halloween. Much easier. :P

Krowdon

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on September 19, 2011, 06:13:29 PM
Either way I wish you luck. I'm off to make some X-Men jumpsuits for Halloween. Much easier. :P

What are you making Jumpsuits out of? (Also trying to make one of these: http://i.imgur.com/ygfaV.jpg)

Edit: Better question, is there a fabric that is better for costume making (Like y'know, coats and X-men Jumpsuits) or just generic fabric?

Preußen

Cardboard armor for those with a small budget. My friend is helping me do one once we get to our senior year halloween party.