Staff Positions

Started by Randag, June 07, 2004, 10:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randag

I've worked out how many people would be required to run the Con at efficient levels, and it's pretty high.
Somewhere along the lines of 45-50. Thankfully, more than one person will be doing more than one job, and also that count is a bit inaccurate.

I'll post the actual positions tomorrow, once I work out some of the finer details.

So if you think you can be apart of this whole endeavour, and you want to volunteer yourself, we'd really appreciate it.

Note: The number of positions is subject to change, as it is only an estimate, for which I have only my mock-schedule and floor plan to refer to.

-Ran!
Walk With Pride, Protect Like The Night!
Harness Your Potential, Regret Nothing!

"Ash nazg durbatul?k, ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrakatul?k, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"

RedCon-Forums--- AK_f00 ---RedCon-Website
Destined For Greatness, But Pacing Myself!
You Know Me! You Just Don't Know It Yet!

Angst Vulpine

Hello, Ran. This is Valor from Terrouge, I was wondering, are the judges were part of this?
Angst Vulpine  
-Unofficial forum artist, and resident furry..Now an Unchallanged Retto Fangirl, and owner of teh one and only  Retto Plushie, OtterSocks, Big Plushie Donut, X-mas Wolf Bite Plushie, A Pink Lightsaber (With a flower coming out the end), and a TGF Plushie!

I have the X-mas Wolf Bite plushie. It's mine, no one else has a Wolf Bite plushie, except Teufel, she's got the original one.  Mine's wearing a Santa Hat. <3

Randag

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about the judges. Though, actually, I didn't include them in the above count estimate for certain reasons.

All the judging positions will be posted here too. You are already a judge. But I may be asking you if you could try to do something else too. Actually, I'll be asking most other people who have voiced interest in RedCon, as that way things will be able to come together a lot faster and easier.

-Ran!

Angst Vulpine

Certainly, I would be willing to.  <3  
Angst Vulpine  
-Unofficial forum artist, and resident furry..Now an Unchallanged Retto Fangirl, and owner of teh one and only  Retto Plushie, OtterSocks, Big Plushie Donut, X-mas Wolf Bite Plushie, A Pink Lightsaber (With a flower coming out the end), and a TGF Plushie!

I have the X-mas Wolf Bite plushie. It's mine, no one else has a Wolf Bite plushie, except Teufel, she's got the original one.  Mine's wearing a Santa Hat. <3

calria

*waves hand around wildly, as usual*
Maybe someday I'll actually get to *do* something for this... *muttermuttermutter*

Randag

Okay here are the Staff positions. None of them are filled out (but that doesn't mean they aren't taken. I'm just putting forth what I believe we need). Also, note that many people will be taking two or more positions.

Director (or Director of "as yet unnamed title")
Co-Director (or Director of "as yet unnamed title")
Art & Design Director

(Directors are responsible for the running of the event as a whole, responsible for everyone at the event and all the staff. All other staff answer to the directors). They are as follows:

-CONVENTION STAFF-

Floor Manager
+ Assistant
+ Assistant
(responsible for the order and convention floor area)

Main Stage Manager
+ Assistant
(responsible for the running of the Main Stage to schedule)

Stall Manager
+ Assistant
+ Assistant
+ Assistant
(responsible for the stalls for ROC sites and merchandise)

Contest Manager
+ Assistant
Contest Manger
+ Assistant
Contest Manager
+ Assistant
(each CM will be responsible for 2 contest areas, subject to change)

Demo Manager
+ Assistant
Demo Manager
+ Assistant
(a Demo Manager will be responsible for a numner of Demo areas, subject to change)

DJ
+ Assistant (or perhaps another DJ to take over)
(responsible for the music at the Con)

Technical Coordinator
+ Assistant
(responsible for the running of all events to schedule, All managers answer to the TC)

Door Person
Door Person
(collects door charge)

Security
(to be determined, will need to ask Hotel or Con. Hall people about this)

Cleaners
(will be needed to scour the floor area, seating areas and other areas for rubbish, answer to Floor Manager, and numerous others)

Caterers
(to be determined)

-PRE CONVENTION STAFF-

Research Team
(3 or 4 people who will search the texts for accurate references in the Redwall-verse)

Art & Design Production Team
(as many people as the A&D Director needs/allows, they design pretty much everything)

Stage & Stall Production Team
(as many people on the staff that we can get to the event hall before the Con to help build the required apparatuses that will be needed)

Sponsorship Manager
(responsible for the acquirement of sponsors at the Con, most likely going to be one of the Directors, as it deals with the business of the Con)

Webmaster
(responsible for the running of the RedCon website)

Advertising Manager
ROC Advertising Team
Offline Advertising Team
(Ad. Manager in charge of the strategies used by the two Teams)
(ROC Ad. Team will do their very best to make RedCon '06 as known as possible)
(Offline Ad. Team may have to deal with publishers and Book Stores, so it could involve the Directors).

-CONTEST JUDGING-
There will be 3 Judges per contest.
(the number of actual contests is still to be determined)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about it, though lots of stuff still has to be decided properly before any of this is legit.
Also, I won't lie to you, a lot of the positions will be taken by the Directors, for various reasons which I don't want to explain.

-Ran!

calria

Is there anyone in this:

QuoteMain Stage Manager
+ Assistant
(responsible for the running of the Main Stage to schedule)

position? *coughisgoingtoschooltobeaprofessionalSMcough*
I could use that on my resume lol and I already know how to keep stuff like that running.

Randag

Not at the moment. And I can't see any reason why you can't have that position. So, I guess it's yours.

Once we have worked out the actual schedule (some time later this year, I'll tell you exactly what the position entails. But for now, I'll just tell you that you'll most likely have to introduce each guest speaker, and stuff similar to that.

-Ran!

Falar Ransted

*pokes* I'm here and willing. I don't know what I'd be particularly good at.

I can tell you anything related to visual arts would be a no-no.

A note that I don't think you've adressed is the access to sound equipment. Generally, what I've seen is that when you rent out a convention center, you've got to rent the sound equipment separately. Most times, the person who rents it out sets it up and everything along those lines, but you'd still need to find a contact for it. And, from what I can tell, you'd be better off having two independent sound systems. This is, of course, if my assumptions are correct. Anything wrong with the following would of course change the rest.

1. The DJ would be playing music all through the event, regardless of if there was a speaker or not. Therefore, he would need a few channels separate from the stage both for input (him putting on CDs, announcing requests, etc) and for output (to the speakers that he controls). From what I can tell, he'd only need at most three inputs (CD, cassette tape (?), microphone), unless he's fancier than I'm assuming and has turntables, etc. The outputs would be to amps and from then on to speakers. The amount of stuff in the output depends on how much control and volume is required and/or wanted.

2. Now, for the main stage, I think all you would need are one, or maybe two, microphones for input. For output, it would be the same as the DJ station. Now, if we were to get fancy and have some live music or an onstage drama of sorts, there would be a demand for more microphones and inputs. This is all depending on how fancy you get on the main stage.

How much does renting this equipment run? Dunno, especially not for Chicago. My guess would be somewhere in the 1-3 thousand range, depending on how big you go.

Heh. That was a lot of off the top of the head thought.

This said, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about sound. This is what I've picked up from setting up and running sound at my church and the application of a little logic.

*coughs* Like I said, I'm here and willing.

Randag

Okay.

First I'd like to address the Main Stage sound system situation. I'm presuming the place which we choose to hold the Con will already have a main stage, and thus also have a microphone connected to a sound system. We can always change the connections so that the Main Stage Sound only goes to the speakers near the main stage.

The DJ music will be everywhere else, so connecting up a sound system to the DJ station, which is actually not on my floor plan yet, will only be as hard as acquiring more speakers (if needed) and finding a place for the DJ to set up and starting the connections from there.
There will be a set playlist from which the DJ will select music, so they'll only be able to request certain music. The DJ situation is still not really important right now, but I do thank you for your post, Falar, as it has opened my eyes to some things I didn't remember.

We are hoping to have some sort of dance in the evening on the first night, and the DJ will be allowed to play more of his/her own music (but nothing R-rated), we are going to try find a DJ that will be more willing to satisfy the audience than just have them play whatever they want. All of this is a bit sketchy, as we don't even have a place yet. I think it's best to wait until we have a venue, before we get more into this.

I'll also get back to you on what position I think you'd be good at. Unless of course you have any opinions.
Oh, also since you won QBIII, do you want to be a judge, because that would be good publicity?

-Ran!

Falar Ransted

For hooking up the DJ station: More is needed than just speakers. For the speakers to work, you need to have an amp. To be able to control stuff adequately, at least for someone who knows sound a bit, you need a pre-amp and sound mixer. I'm not precisely sure how easy it would be to do without the pre-amp and sound mixer as I haven't worked without either.

Hmmm, a judge, eh? *grins* Put me down for anything involving food, doncha know. I'd need to break out a Salamandastron Hare costume then...

Me: grpmphsnch. This is good stuff.
Assistant: So does this one win.
Me: Dunno yet. Get me one more of those and another of these. And something to drink.
Assistant: *stares for a moment*
Me: Chop chop.

What are the other sorts of contests? I just know that food oriented ones just leap out at me from memory, but, if you had the room, you could have lawn darts and other such things that were played on Namedays. Although I don't think we'd have room for croquet...

wolf bite

*Steps up*

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Randag

Fine, Falar. I'll leave all that up to you, when the time comes for it.

There are probably going to be poetry, art, writing, live role-play and possibly some sort of food eating/food making contests.

Okay, thank you Wolf Bite! I'll get back to you.

-Ran!

Falar Ransted

Quote from: RandagThere are probably going to be poetry, art, writing, live role-play and possibly some sort of food eating/food making contests.
Poetry: Hah-hah-hah. No. I don't know the first thing about poetry. Or rather, I do and I can't make it work.

Art: Heh-heh-heh-heh. No. Same reason.

Writing: I would be interested in this. I'm a speed reader and have a good eye for SPAG so I'd probably do well.

Live Roleplay: *backs away slowly* Personally, this scares the heck out of me for some reason. That said, I could probably judge it.

Larrusus Deathspear

umm, i could fill any number of small positions, door person, cleaner, assistant to someone, reasearch team, advertising, just about anything
Jesus Is a LIE
One of my classmates remarked that I "emanate evil"
MY science teahcer thinks i'm a muslim extremist
The mormons came to my house and I told them I worship satan
My neighbour think that I perform evil rituals on my porch when i burn candles
maybe I should run for president......

Regular Era 2
#391 Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 3
#92   Slazzar Ectalask
#214  Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 4