Rest in peace, Brian Jacques <3

Started by The Lady Shael, February 07, 2011, 12:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

I was doing random stuff on the forums, looking at old posts, and I decided to take a trip to Vulpine Imperium (VI, ex-rival of RWL) and found out from their forums that Brian Jacques passed away last Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-12380763

A former merchant sailor whose children's books sold millions worldwide has died aged 71.

Brian Jacques' Redwall series of books were translated into 29 languages and sold 20m globally.

He first wrote the series, set in an abbey populated by animals, for children at the Royal Wavertree School for the Blind in Liverpool.

The Liverpool-born writer's weekly show, Jakestown, ran on BBC Radio Merseyside for more than 20 years.

He died after a heart attack at the weekend and leaves a wife and two grown up sons.

----------------------------

I don't know about you guys, but a part of me literally died inside when I read this. This series definitely transformed me. I became a huge fan of the series at the same time the internet started becoming popular, so I joined all the fan sites I could. Pretty soon I started to learn all that I could to create those sites myself.

10 years later, I graduated with a degree in Computer Science and working as a software engineer, with web design hobbies on the side. I would never have become as proficient as I did in programming if I had never become a fan of the Redwall series.

I think another reason why I feel so sad is because ever since I read the series I sort of always wanted to meet him in person. And now I never will.

~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Firetooth

RIP Brian, you gave us some great books.

Seriously, this is pretty shocking. Redwall was a big part of my childhood, and I sometimes still read the books. :'(
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

The Lady Shael

I was stunned. He was still publishing a Redwall book each year. He definitely had more in store for us. =/
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Firetooth

Quote from: The Lady Shael on February 07, 2011, 01:40:47 PM
I was stunned. He was still publishing a Redwall book each year. He definitely had more in store for us. =/
Well, there's still one more to be released, though tbh I might not pick it up. I loved the books, but after high rhulain, which was pretty epic, they got too repetitive. Still, his new book actually sounded more unique then several of his others, so who knows.

Pearls of lutra was my favourite for sure. I might go re-read it in nostalgia soon.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sharptooh

I can't believe I haven't heard about this already   :'(

I also have to agree with Shael, Redwall has shaped my life massively (in a computery way too) without his books I wouldn't be where I am today

Pippin

1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Twilight Shadow

Ahhh... he had so many more books coming.... :'( Rest in Peace

Wolf Snare

I can't believe it! I loved him and all of his books. I too hoped to one day meet him :(

RIP Brian Jacques
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Stella Cadente

:'(

Hadn't heard. Thanks for all the adventure in Mossflower Mr. Jacques. I'll never forget that you called me "Smiles"

Btw, the last book that will be published is called The Rogue Crew and will be out in May.

Blood Wake

I just found out through facebook and came here to make sure there was a topic.

Of course he is the reason we are all here together...
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

Quixote Katana

Master of House Katana. Warlord of Fort Shadow. Member of the Empire of the Phoenix.
The Last Samurai.

Harlan

Whoa. I only just found out a couple hours ago. :,-(

He has really been one of the most influential in my life, right along with my family and C. S. Lewis. I literally cried when I found out.

So yeah. Rest in peace. I really never have much to say in these situations...
Once upon a time...

There was a signature.

Troodon

Formerly TR Shadow.

Krowdon

I actually cried when I read this. Brian Jacquws was one of my absolute favorite authors. His books are still a major part of my Reading, Redwall has been a favorite of mine for many years now. I hope he has agood afterlife.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

The Obliterator

RIP
I will miss him
I kept looking forward to his books and now there will be only one more
Well i suppose i will now try to collect the whole series
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better