Public Market Pricing Exploit

Started by Shoot, February 24, 2013, 07:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoot

So I managed to find a way around the coded in price limitations in the public market in Turbo (not sure if possible in regular too).

In the area where you can update your selling prices on listings you have up, you can insert math symbols (such as * for multiplication and / for division) when updating the price to bypass the limits. It seems as long as the first number before any operators is valid (i.e. falls into the range normally allowed), you can add whatever mathematical operations after that and it will accept the final value of those operations as the new price.

Examples:
Rats at 500*500 = $250,000 new price
Rats at 500*0 = $0 new price
Rats at 500/500 = $1 new price
Rats at 500*500*500*500 = $4,294,967,295 (maximum value allowed by the database for the price field)

Since the 500 before the operator in each case was a valid price for rats, the code allowed it. At least thats what it appears to be.

Shadow

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I will try to fix it when I have time. For now, setting prices outside the usual ranges is not allowed. Maybe windy can take a crack at it if he has some time?

I'll give everyone 24 hours to bring prices below the allowed limits, after that I'll do it myself (if I have to do it myself, I'm just going to sell the relevent stack to merceneries, so it's in your best interest to fix it yourself), and if it keeps up after that I'll disable people.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Shoot

No idea what the fee is for fixing the price on a 4 billion dollar rat to an allowable price, since it keeps telling me i dont have enough money to change it.

I'll merc mine when the option becomes available (check box grayed out atm), unless somebody wants my robo rat 5000 with laser eyes (thanks Death for that suggestion :P) for the low price of 4.2 billion dollars. (I'm joking, don't be silly and buy it)

Shadow

There, fixed via the DB. Hopefully it didn't mess anything up.

From now on, any prices set that way will result in disabling.

Ian2424

No Shoot, noooooo! Why did you tell him this!?
Uhh, it's needs to be about 20% cooler.
Quote from: Krowdon on April 28, 2012, 07:53:37 AM
*beats Night Wolf with a penguin*

Shadow

As if it wasn't obvious or something ^_^

You know that intentionally exploiting a bug without reporting it gets you disabled, right?

Ian2424

Yeah, I know. Too bad I didn't know this before....

Shadow

Ian2424

Um, no reason... I would just, ummm, tell you about it.

Drakus

meow

Shadow

Drakus

Is there any way a disable can be lifted before the end of the round?
meow

Shadow

It's possible technically, but if you use the price exploit it had to have been intentional so I can't think of a reason it would.

Shadow

UPDATE:

I believe I have fixed this exploit - if you notice any problems with the public market please let me know.

Apparently there is another exploit available as well, as someone used it to gain 50 trillion dollars. I don't yet know how it was done, but I will fix it as soon as I do.

Ian2424

Is that why there's nothing on the market?