My account

Started by Gen. Volkov, July 18, 2012, 02:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

So I just logged on to Turbo, and I have reason to believe someone either hacked my account or hacked an admin account. Because I was sent a bunch of troops, and someone put them on the market, along with a large chunk of my food, and my Cluny's hut cash store was cleaned out. I need a new password for my account or something. Whoever it was also changed my economy settings and my tax rate. Though whoever it was did not see fit to mess with me on reg.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shadow

Sevs mentioned something like this a while ago and then deleted the report for some reason.

I wonder if someone figured out a way to fool the new login system.

Windy, could you take a poke around news feeds and see if anything jumps out? If his money was missing there might be an aid report somewhere. I will be on this weekend and we can see if we can work out ways to crack the system together if you like. Though why anyone would go to the trouble of hacking RWL is beyond me.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Odd.

IP's are logged in the raw access log, I'll poke around.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Rakefur

other people are reporting this as well.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Shadow

Could you give us some details? The more we know about the problem the easier it will be to track down.

Please note that if someone did break the system and is messing with accounts, now would be a great time to come forward and explain the exploit and get recognition for helping solve the problem. If we find out the hard way that someone is hacking RWL and doesn't come forward, your chances of being banned are pretty high, to say the least.

windhound

This has hopefully been patched, sorry for the delay.

There's a chance it was a random server bug... 

If it happens again please let me know
Cheers.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

I will let you know, thanks windy!
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Gen. Volkov

Patch did not work. Someone got into my account again, marketed a bunch of troops and food and messed with my economy and tax settings again. I'm changing my password again, but I think it has to be a security fault.

UPDATE: They also ran turns on low land to kill my leaders, and then Sevah used that to steal my cash. He also bought the food that was marketed. Dunno if the two are connected, but given how advantageous these two incidents have been for the opposition to my clan, I can't help but wonder.

Sharptooh

Could any of the bot scripts have something to do with this? It seems unlikely, but I'm just throwing it out there as hopefully there's a reasonable explanation for this that doesn't involve people hacking other people's accounts.

Shadow

oh my god

can't believe I didn't think of that.

Yes, that's exactly what was happening. It's fixed now.

windhound

Gen. Volkov

The bot script was marketing my troops and food and futzing with my tax and eco settings? Christ on a crutch. I want an in game refund darnit. I think the admins owe me one for screwing over my account so bad, twice.

Firetooth

I suggested it to him, sharp is stealing all of my credit. :'(

Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sharptooh

We both put the pieces together Firegoose :P

At least we can all agree that for some reason the bots scripts are targeting the oldest and grumpiest players (Volkov and Sevah)

Sevz

If volkov gets a refund I want one. I reported it first.
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.