Names (This title sucks)

Started by Death, February 13, 2008, 09:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Death

I might decide to play here at some point, but your terminology throws me for a loop. Could comeone translate RWL terminology to QM or FAF, or even WGZ for that matter? Just things like the names of spells, units, small stuff. I'll figure the rest out once I start.

Shadow

RWL to FAF

unit (O:D)

rats (2:1) = T1 (2:2)
weasels (2:6)? = T2 (3:5)
stoats (5:3) = T3 (5:4)
skiffs (6:8) = t4 (7:6)?

leaders = spies
Spies work a bit differently here, in that non offensive missions are dependent on leader/hut ratio, and attack defense ratios are calculated differently. See http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums/index.php?topic=8621.0 for more details if you are mathminded.

workers = slaves

cash = money
food = food
loyalty = scrolls

Other key differences - effective defense is next to impossible in RWL due to several reasons, a few of which are detailed in the link above. Strats are actually pretty balanced, and you have a decent shot at a win with anything you choose to do. The racial abilities are designed to promote teamwork.

That's just a general overview, if you have more specific questions I'd be happy to help.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Death

So a proper Spy strat will involve building MTs (the building that makes Mana.. er, Scrolls.. I mean Loyalty) to gain Loyalty, then building Huts when you're ready to cast the spells? And if that's right so far, which works best here between one run strats and set long ones (Making Loyalty and casting spells in one run, or making Loyalty for several days and then casting spells for the rest of the set)?

Also, slaves? That's so racist. lol

Thanks though.

Shadow

Huts are the thing that makes both loyalty and leaders, so you only need one building. Depending on the race you choose you might want to use tents as well, since stoat's "academy" spell converts workers to leaders.

As for how you run turns, it's up to you. I usally do it all in one run - attack, build up leaders, and leader feast/loot away my turns for profit.

Are you the same Death that plays FAF?

Death

Oh poo, oops. Do you mean different races have different spells? I remember that from Majestic Prom or whatever the name was from like 2003.. didn't work out too well.

And yeah, I'm the Death that tries to play FAF. I just never work up the motivation to finish a set after what I did in 4 days there.

Shadow

Each race has a different spell that works best in a team but can be used alone effectively as well. A lot of work has gone into balancing them, and I think they add a lot to gameplay.

Death

This is going to take like an entire friggin' week to get used to. Oh well, thanks for all the information.

Peace Alliance

A week? Takes years to figure out RWL :D

Death

For someone new to Prom, sure. But I have never come across a game that takes any long-time player more than 2 weeks to get used to.

Shadow

I guarantee that to learn all the little tricks in RWL will take longer than 2 weeks. There are strats here that still haven't been tested after several years.

Death

That's what they said at WGZ. :)

But I've been told by a few people that Leader is horribly overpowered here and most people abuse it, so I suppose I should too.

Shadow

Used to be. "Open atk op" still gives it an edge, but the sack change recently really took the power away from massers. I think when open atk op is removed, we will have a relatively balanced game. *hint*

Death

I have a feeling this is going to be very interesting. When are the resets?

Shadow

28th of each month usually. That is the immortalization anyway, the reset sometimes come a bit later, though not often.

Death

What exactly is the immortalization?