Camping online

Started by Firetooth, May 02, 2011, 01:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

(see also my thread in turbo)

Camping online is basically staying online so nobody will hit you as they will be "online," and so you can hit them back as soon as they do.

Right, so what are your views on a warlord camping online? I think it is a nasty tactic that should be discouraged/banned. It rewards those who have more time then others which is, to be honest, pretty unfair. All of today I was unable to do a run n decent land because a warlord was locking, and when I did break he onlined me because he was camping.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sharptooh

I don't see your problem, eventually they have to go offline, and eventually someone (not necessarily you) will break them

They'll also get a pretty bad reputation as a result of it

Quote from: Firetooth on May 02, 2011, 01:09:00 PM
I think it is a nasty tactic that should be discouraged/banned.

It would be pretty difficult to ban someone over this, you'd either have to have someone continually monitoring turbo, or have to code something in that would report players for being online for more than x hours, which I think would be a bit stupid . . .

The Lady Shael

Banning someone for this is a little extreme. Camping online is not against the rules. It falls under the same category as online attacking: dirty tactics. Dirty tactics are not against the rules, and may be used in extreme cases as an act of war.

If someone is camping online, they are practically begging to be online-attacked.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Firetooth

Quote from: The Lady Shael on May 02, 2011, 01:23:13 PM
Banning someone for this is a little extreme. Camping online is not against the rules. It falls under the same category as online attacking: dirty tactics. Dirty tactics are not against the rules, and may be used in extreme cases as an act of war.

If someone is camping online, they are practically begging to be online-attacked.
Banned is probably a little extreme. I think stuff like this gives people an unfair advantage. Maybe that's just me.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

Camping is annoying, but simple to deal with. No need for punishment beyond what players dish out.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Neobaron

Quote from: Shadow on May 02, 2011, 01:31:22 PM
Camping is annoying, but simple to deal with. No need for punishment beyond what players dish out.

This. Unless it can be proven that the player in question is using questionable means to keep themselves online while going out and doing their thing IRL.

Whenever I am home, I am online in the game and on here usually.

I usually get messages, but if i don't respond to them within 5 minutes, the person normally just does what they're going to do.

But if I catch them doing something I (or most) don't agree with, they will get some retalitory shots, and should not whine about it.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Firetooth

Quote from: Neobaron on May 02, 2011, 01:35:24 PM
Quote from: Shadow on May 02, 2011, 01:31:22 PM

This. Unless it can be proven that the player in question is using questionable means to keep themselves online while going out and doing their thing IRL.

Whenever I am home, I am online in the game and on here usually.

I usually get messages, but if i don't respond to them within 5 minutes, the person normally just does what they're going to do.

But if I catch them doing something I (or most) don't agree with, they will get some retalitory shots, and should not whine about it.
Good post, but that said, Sevz (claims he, I don't actually know) is retired. All day he kept going on and gaining land. I went out for a few hours, and when I came back he was online and had gained land. Pretty much all of today when I have been on, except his rage quit, he has been online, albeit occasionally going (or appearing, he may have still had the tab open) offline for 10mins.

Neobaron

If he gets belligerent when you scrape land, work around him or delay your run.

You have a month, it's not like you need to do it RIGHTNOWOMG.

:)
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Twilight Shadow

Firetooth i am thinking you are making too big of a deal about this. Its a dirty tactic and if they have time they can do it. Theres nothing wrong with it, just allows players to online attack you. Just play the game and stop complaining about everything you see "wrong" in your eyes. Its part of the game and deal with it no need to make topic after topic to increase your number of posts so you can say your a "vet." (which your not maybe by playing time but not by skill)

The Lady Shael

Ease up, TS, bordering on personal attacks.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Shadow

If someone does this a lot, the best thing to do is just online them and be done with it. After a few ruined runs, they will stop doing it.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Twilight Shadow

Quote from: The Lady Shael on May 02, 2011, 01:51:19 PM
Ease up, TS, bordering on personal attacks.

Sorry Shael the last part was a personal attack just because he makes a big deal about whatever Sevah does. I thought I would throw a little flame back. But seriously, Firetooth, you don't need to post everything you see as bad.

Quote from: Firetooth on May 02, 2011, 01:46:12 PM
All day he kept going on and gaining land. I went out for a few hours, and when I came back he was online and had gained land. Pretty much all of today when I have been on, except his rage quit, he has been online, albeit occasionally going (or appearing, he may have still had the tab open) offline for 10mins.

So if I see you when I come on 6 hours later and gained land since then I can say your camping.

Firetooth

Quote from: Twilight Shadow on May 02, 2011, 01:50:17 PM
Firetooth i am thinking you are making too big of a deal about this. Its a dirty tactic and if they have time they can do it. Theres nothing wrong with it, just allows players to online attack you. Just play the game and stop complaining about everything you see "wrong" in your eyes. Its part of the game and deal with it no need to make topic after topic to increase your number of posts so you can say your a "vet." (which your not maybe by playing time but not by skill)
...right, I won't even bother replying to the first part, but I've been here way longer then you and done way more the you (you haven't won a round, participated in evenly balanced wars or been part of an emp team), so keep that in perspective before you start accusing me of a lack talent. It's unnecessary and you don't really know enough about me, or other members, to judge their abilities. You and me are also not in the best books, so suddenly insulting me unprovoked is perhaps not the best idea,, especially when I have been trying to be nice to you.

(note, I don't think I'm the best player here or anything, but as Unga would say, "ImjustSaiyan.jpeg"

QuoteSo if I see you when I come on 6 hours later and gained land since then I can say your camping.
Huh? He was staying online without using turns (except to gain land) and didn't respond to messages (except with blanks) so he clearly was camping. Besides, the fact he onlined me proved tis.

Twilight Shadow

You know I am pushing you around now to see how you react. But camping online is not always what it seems to be...I have been online for almost two hours now. Do you consider that camping?

Firetooth

Quote from: Twilight Shadow on May 02, 2011, 02:25:24 PM
You know I am pushing you around now to see how you react.
Well, you keep doing it, and it isn't necessary. Insulting me for no reason doesn't impress anybody and will just end up with you getting into trouble.

Quote from: Twilight Shadow on May 02, 2011, 02:25:24 PM
have been online for almost two hours now. Do you consider that camping?
If you have land and are doing so with the intention of keeping that land, yes.