RWL Match games

Started by Peace Alliance, August 28, 2013, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peace Alliance

What do y'all think about this...

1v1 Match games:

You can start a match and invite your opponent. Turns are used 1 at a time, back and forth (like chess). If the other player takes a long time using their turn, you get an extra turn.

It would be a very slow paced match, but only relative to normal RWL gameplay. If you really think about it, this kind of game would mean that every single turn you use is important. Everyone would have to be thinking way ahead, and will have to micro like crazy.

You could be playing more then 1 match at a time.

You could also do 2v2, with 4 players, or with 2 players and 2 NPC's.

And it might also help if we designed a mobile version of RWL so people could play match games when they're out and about.

Shadow

I don't think the current format would lend itself to 1 turn at a time play, but I could see designing a version of the game where you can do more with a single turn and lower turn limits that could be fun.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Peace Alliance

Well you'd have to make all 2 turn things into 1 turn things.

Shadow

yea but so little actually happens in a single turn, for the sake of not being boring we could increase everything 5x and reduce to 100 turns max or something.

Peace Alliance

We could try it at 1t, then do more if it's boring. Or we could let players set the turn rate for each match. I think that yes, very little happens in 1 turn, but you'd be thinking 100 turns ahead, and seemingly insignificant things will become important.

Krowdon

I really dig this idea. I would play.

Would it be more like Turbo or Reg?
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Shadow

Anyone played hearthstone? I could see a RWL version of that being pretty excellent.

Sharktooth

How would you win the game? The most net? Killing your opponent?

Peace Alliance

That's a great question, we'd have to figure out some good endgame conditions.

Holby

Quote from: Peace Alliance on August 28, 2013, 10:17:05 AM
We could try it at 1t, then do more if it's boring. Or we could let players set the turn rate for each match. I think that yes, very little happens in 1 turn, but you'd be thinking 100 turns ahead, and seemingly insignificant things will become important.
I'm with Shadow on this one. One turn at a time would be terrible. Like, you know how annoying it is playing Words with Friends when you have to wait like a whole day for someone to make a word? Well, imagine if every word you make is twenty letters long, and you can only place one letter of that word down at a time.

It would be awful. The time it would take to actually get involved in an interesting game would be enormous. Like weeks or months or something.

The concept itself is a good one, you'd just need to be able to perform a lot more actions each time.
I will not deleted this

Ruddertail

What about instead of one turn at a time, one run at a time? So one person spends 550 turns, then the other one does, etc. Once they've each made, say, 10 - 20 runs, the game ends, highest net wins. No kills.
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Peace Alliance

I insist that we should try it at 1t and bump it up if it's too slow. The pace is dramatically slow, but only in contrast to what we're used to. I know this is a bit of a RWL taboo (especially post-3.0) but I think it would be fun to try something dramatically new. At such a pace, it would be a completely different game.

I've played words with friends, and it is annoying waiting for the other player to move, but that's why you play like 10 matches at the same time.

Gen. Volkov

Quote from: HolbyIt would be awful. The time it would take to actually get involved in an interesting game would be enormous. Like weeks or months or something.

This. I'd say a minimum of 10 turns, and even that is probably too slow.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shadow

The way I play RWL I would log in maybe twice a day, in a good week. Maybe. A 550 turns match would take ~9 months. Lol. Even at 10 turns at a time you're looking at a full month for a match.

Peace Alliance

Well that depends on what the end conditions of a match are. It could be that you're trying to destroy your opponent, in which case we'd have to change things to make that easier anyway. But I also think that this kind of thing would be better if it were made for mobiles because people would want to take turns throughout the day.