Any Wildcat strategies?

Started by Quixote Katana, January 29, 2011, 09:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quixote Katana

I've been playing RWL for some time now, but I don't really know what a good strategy for Wildcat would be. Does anyone here know one?
Master of House Katana. Warlord of Fort Shadow. Member of the Empire of the Phoenix.
The Last Samurai.

Shadow

Wildcat is a race that requires a huge amount of micromanagement to work effectively. Most strategies I have seen for wildcat are hybrid leader/indy strats, where the player alternates runs with all huts, making food and loyalty, and runs where you switch almost all your land to tents and use pressgang to generate troops, which you then sell to fund your next run.

You will have to play around with land placement to get a feel for the strategy and get to know how many times you will be able to pressgang for a given amount of loyalty, etc.

Some general tips:

-You make more loyalty in Mossflower, so move there when doing resource/loyalty runs
-You get more workers in Southsward, so move there when pressganging.
-Keep your tax rate at 5% to maximize worker arrival
-The loyalty cost of missions is directly proportional to the number of huts you have, so if you want to pressgang cheaply, demolish all but about 10 huts.
-The loyalty you earn is directly proportional to the number of huts you have, so if you are doing a loyalty run, make ALL huts
-Cities count as 1500 tents and 500 camps while only costing 1000 land. Wildcat is the only race the can benefit from cities aside from helping keep you alive. Getting a bunch of cities can make pressgang MUCH more effective, as well as making your troops worth more on mercs (that is what camps do) so consider building some and stealing any you can get your paws on.
-If more than 15% of your land is cities, you get less loyalty per turn, so weigh the benefits of cities carefully against your loyalty production abilities. It has been a while since I ran this strategy so I forget the optimal balance.
-Wildcat benefits greatly from team play. If you can get a wolf to make you loyalty, you can put ALL your land on cities and pressgang constantly. This means that nobody can take your land (as long as you defend the cities with a good number of weasels). This is a lot of fun, but generally results in people getting pissed off and taking you down, so use it carefully.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Quixote Katana

Okay, thanks, Shadow. This should help with my Reg. account.
Still open to suggestions here.
Master of House Katana. Warlord of Fort Shadow. Member of the Empire of the Phoenix.
The Last Samurai.

The Obliterator

Just a correction
Doesn't a city give you 1000 tents and 500 markets
I have always thought this however if it isn't so i may try a wildcat next round
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better

Shadow

I'm quite sure its 1500 tents and 500 camps, but we would have to look at the code to be sure. Windy/sheal?

Quixote Katana

I've gone by the little tips at the bottom of the page. The City one says 1500 Tents and 500 Camps.
The Last Samurai.

Rakefur

Hmm, this sounds like a cool race, I might try it next set.

So I'm not sure I get it. If you have a lot of cities, how can you pressgang? You need huts or you will be losing leaders like crazy, right?
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Shadow

You only need at least 100 leaders per hut. If you have 1 hut and 100 leaders, you can pressgang.

The problem is getting loyalty - you'll need to build huts, get loyalty, then demo huts and put them on tents and pressgang. If you go all cities, you will need to find someone to sell you loyalty.

Rakefur

Oh I see, so it doesn't matter how many leaders you get.

But then again, you would get more results from more leader, am I right?

Shadow

not for pressgang - you just turn 10% of your workers into troops, regardless of your leader count. In fact, it is better to pressgang with minimal huts because then loyalty cost is lower that way.

For missions like feast and loot, leader count does matter.

Rakefur

Oh now I see. Thanks Shadow.  :)

Durza

Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts