move this thread not the other one

Started by Firetooth, May 01, 2015, 07:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

Let me reiterate this: this is not a liberal democracy. If you want to spout Neo-Nazi crap, fine. As long as it doesn't become hate speech, you have the right to do so - a right I believe in. BUT this is not a country, this is a website that controls what is posted; things like offensive language are already prohibited. Do not pull this nonsense defence out of the air, or accuse me of being an opponent of free speech.

Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Wordsarecool

Actually,  "hate speech" is also covered by free speech,  under the first amendment in the United States. If you support outlawing that, it does make you an enemy of free speech!  But you are correct about the fact that this is an independently run website, and that the admins dictate what is acceptable and isn't.  So I guess you'll just have to convince the mods to ban me.

Krowdon

no one said anything about banning. This has just been about having you remove the nazi symbolism.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Ungatt Trunn II

Firetooth, for someone that claims to support free speech, you seem comically giddy over the fact that this site doesn't have to abide by such tenants.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Firetooth

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II on May 01, 2015, 09:28:57 AM
Firetooth, for someone that claims to support free speech, you seem comically giddy over the fact that this site doesn't have to abide by such tenants.
No? It's about what is appropriate. Governments have the right to protect you from imprisonment for airing your views, but private groups and businesses don't. It's like how people get kicked out of political parties for airing racist views. I don't think you actually understand how free speech works. I support the right of poisonous views to be aired, but will support anybody who makes sure you are shunned by society for airing such views. THAT is freedom of speech - you're free to say it, and other people are free to say you're an idiot for saying it. Freedom of speech, not freedom from consequence.

Quote from: Wordsarecool on May 01, 2015, 09:20:39 AM
Actually,  "hate speech" is also covered by free speech,  under the first amendment in the United States. If you support outlawing that, it does make you an enemy of free speech!
The US is not the perfect model of democracy. Hate speech SHOULD be banned - hate speech is the incitement of violence. Are you saying it's fine to incite violence, but not to commit it? I don't understand.  You have a skewed perception of free speech, same as Ungatt.

Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Ungatt Trunn II

Okay Firetooth. Everything is going to be okay. I promise that no one was harmed in the making of this thread.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Wordsarecool

Quote from: Firetooth on May 01, 2015, 09:42:26 AM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II on May 01, 2015, 09:28:57 AM
No? It's about what is appropriate. Governments have the right to protect you from imprisonment for airing your views, but private groups and businesses don't. It's like how people get kicked out of political parties for airing racist views. I don't think you actually understand how free speech works. I support the right of poisonous views to be aired, but will support anybody who makes sure you are shunned by society for airing such views. THAT is freedom of speech - you're free to say it, and other people are free to say you're an idiot for saying it. Freedom of speech, not freedom from consequence.

Quote from: Wordsarecool on May 01, 2015, 09:20:39 AM
Actually,  "hate speech" is also covered by free speech,  under the first amendment in the United States. If you support outlawing that, it does make you an enemy of free speech!
The US is not the perfect model of democracy. Hate speech SHOULD be banned - hate speech is the incitement of violence. Are you saying it's fine to incite violence, but not to commit it? I don't understand.  You have a skewed perception of free speech, same as Ungatt.

You are fundamentally wrong in this regard. The moment we attempt to decide what is and what is not 'free' speech, it ceases to be free by very definition and instead becomes regulated. You list incitement to violence as being the definition of hate speech. Have I attempted to incite anyone here to violence?  There is a distinct difference between shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater, the origin of all modern restrictions to freedom of speech, which was historically done to prevent loss of life by panic and chaos, and speech that a group or individual may find or one day decide to be offensive. Similarly direct threats against a person's life or liberty are treated with suspicion, whereas petty insults and opposing political speech are not and should not be.

As for violence itself, you are attempting to stray further and further from the topic of conversation at hand; that of freedom of speech. A topic I urge you to reconsider your stance on.

Briar

Woah guys.... move this to UMD please (far too serious for Spa) and Firetooth, you should really take it up with Shadow.

(I honestly have been igonoring most of WAC's lyric posts honestly)

And, btw, not all forms of speech are protected under the First Amendment.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Krowdon

Briar I just now realized you shorten his name to WAC. Nice.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Briar

Wordsarecool takes too long to type out, lol
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Wordsarecool

Quote from: Briar on May 01, 2015, 10:25:49 AM

I usually go by WAC anyways. People used to just call me "Words" and it would kind of annoy me.

Also, not to restart the conversation, but I did discuss some of the exceptions to free speech pertaining to this issue.

Krowdon

Quote from: Wordsarecool on May 01, 2015, 10:28:33 AM

I usually go by WAC anyways. People used to just call me "Words" and it would kind of annoy me.

Also, not to restart the conversation, but I did discuss some of the exceptions to free speech pertaining to this issue.

Oh I call you Words. I'll switch to WAC then.

Briar

Seriously, start a conversation on free speech in UMD. That is a place where people actually hard think before they post.

Wordsarecool

Quote from: Krowdon on May 01, 2015, 10:29:07 AM

Oh I call you Words. I'll switch to WAC then.

Nah It's fine.

I meant way back when i had a fairly visible position, and everyone would spam me with messages all day asking for things.

Ungatt Trunn II

Yes but they're all dirty communist swine.
DIE HIPPIE DIE