Shael

Started by Holby, August 06, 2008, 08:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will we love Shael more if she gets rid of the attack groups this month?

YES! DEFINITELY! We love Shael more!
5 (27.8%)
I always loved Shael... Now she is even better!
3 (16.7%)
Yes, make her fix them now, and I will pledge my unrequited love!
3 (16.7%)
Shael is the bee's knees, but I could love her more without attack groups!
1 (5.6%)
I can't love Shael any more
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

bjornredtail

I'm split on attack groups... On one hand, I liked the special purpose missions (the flank, capture, sack... etc. I can't remember the exact names...), but having 4 separate groups seemed to be useless at best, and give too much advantage to attackers at worst. It might have it's place if the economics were a bit different... but they are not. Simply too many vectors to attack by.

Now, for a moment, consider having all attacks being standard attacks. In addition to having the 4 troop types, you would have something like 4 'borders', North, South, East, West (Ideally this could be altered by a config file or something). The attack groups would then be assigned to each border. If you limit attack forces to what you have stationed on your border, and make it cost turns to move your forces around, you could have some interesting defensive and offensive plays. Of course, implementation around all the junk that prominence has concerning troops would be... Painful. I'm almost tempted to wander off to FAF and mess around with the idea.

On the subject for love of Shael, I am already well aware that she is the savior of RWL. Taking bug reports seriously... Listening to community input... Maintaining the utter mess that is Prominence... That all takes some doing, and for that she has earned my respect.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Gen. Volkov

Quotethomas is a freaky fish guy. (anyone? anyone?)

ROFL.

it never would have worked anyway, holby -- I have a fear of dingos eating my babies. I'm not sure if that's an actual phobia, but it should be.

Well, if it were called anything, it would be Cynophobia, but that's a fear of dogs. Hmm, the scientific name of the dingo is Canis lupus dingo, used to be Canis familiaris, but they changed it. Couldn't really say what the phobia would be called. And yes, I'm taking the joke way to seriously, which is funny in it's own right.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

thomaskreisman

Quote from: Gorak on August 10, 2008, 04:00:19 PM
or people could just grow up
If you ever manage to, I will.

Scarwake

Please stay on topic!

~Scarwake
~Mod Duties
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

RazorClaw

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on August 11, 2008, 03:02:45 AM
Quotethomas is a freaky fish guy. (anyone? anyone?)

ROFL.

it never would have worked anyway, holby -- I have a fear of dingos eating my babies. I'm not sure if that's an actual phobia, but it should be.

Well, if it were called anything, it would be Cynophobia, but that's a fear of dogs. Hmm, the scientific name of the dingo is Canis lupus dingo, used to be Canis familiaris, but they changed it. Couldn't really say what the phobia would be called. And yes, I'm taking the joke way to seriously, which is funny in it's own right.
I'm thinking Cynophagophobia. But yeah, it's the people using the big words who need to grow up. *rolleyes* What a hectopascal.

Could somebody explain exactly how attack groups work?