Movies to watch!

Started by Alazar is Back, April 04, 2007, 02:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aqualis

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on April 05, 2007, 12:02:07 AMHistorical accuracy: F-

You do realized this was based on a comic, right?

Actual event -> movie -> comic -> 300
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Alazar is Back

Quote from: kell on April 05, 2007, 06:16:52 AM
the battle of Iwo Jima? :-P? ? told from both sides. you know that monument of i think four soldiers pushing up a U.S flag thats where it happened

oh, ok sweet ill look for it next time i go to the movie store then!
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

Gen. Volkov

QuoteYou do realized this was based on a comic, right?

Actual event -> movie -> comic -> 300

Graphic novel, and yes, I realize that. The comic wasn't great on historical accuracy either, but it was a bit better. The graphic novel had little of the political garbage they inserted into the movie.

Flags of our fathers is about the 6 guys who raised the flag on Mt. Suribachi. (Mt. Suribachi being the tallest point on Iwo Jima) # of them died on the island, so the movie obviously is focused on the three who lived, and what happened to them after they came home from the battle as heroes.

Letters from Iwo Jima tells the story of the Battle of Iwo Jima from the Japanese perspective.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

kell

Letters from Iwo Jima isnt great its a low budget movie and it shows with a decent budget it could have been great
founder of eire

first emp on the new server

Gen. Volkov

Well, for what it is, it's an excellent movie. Just because they don't lavish money on something doesn't mean it's not a good movie. Conversely, some of the big budget movies turn out to be complete crud.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Peace Alliance

Volkov i have a bit of a gripe with your marking scheme... I really don't think you should weigh history into it at all... not even a little bit. the "epic" genre is SUPPOSED to be blown out of proportion. it's required! That also goes for the combat. Trust me, i'm a HUGE fan of actual tactics and realistic combat. But it's supposed to be blown out of proportion to fit the genre. If you think about it, they really have a choice to make. Do they want it to be visually appealing, or do they want it to be realistic?

I love realistic battle strategies, and i read about them all the time in the books i read. But would 2 hours of holding formation and complicated combat strategies really have been as entertaining?

Also, you forgot to complain about their annoying accents! Man... there's no way thats what they talked like back then. They pretty much just sound like arrogant americans. The scene where he talks with the Godking... like seriously, he's strutting around like the most TYPICAL of cocky americans.... thats more annoying then any historical inaccuracy or flat characters.

Oh ya, and not all the characters were flat. The queen lady's character was a little little little bit complicated, and went through some transformations (although i'll admit, everything that happened to her was predictable... that "evil" politician guy was SOOOO overdone, lol)

zack harmon

i want to see the movie are we done yet when it comes out i heard it was going to be really good.
I've seen three Barbarians rush into 400  enemies unarmed and i have seen some crazy people to.

Alazar is Back

Peace, why is everything you talk about have to put down us americans dude that really not cool.......XD

Aqualis

Quote from: Peace Alliance on April 06, 2007, 02:09:41 PM... like seriously, he's strutting around like the most TYPICAL of cocky americans....

No, here you are completely wrong. The typical American is to fat to strut, and to lazy to be cocky.

~the mighta awualis

Alazar is Back

yeah, them canadiens are missing out......on Mccy D's and all the other great american poo!....poor canadiens!

Aqualis

Quote from: Alazar is Back on April 07, 2007, 12:47:44 AM... great american [poop] ...

I couldn't have said it better myself.

~the mighta awualis

Gen. Volkov

QuoteVolkov i have a bit of a gripe with your marking scheme... I really don't think you should weigh history into it at all... not even a little bit. the "epic" genre is SUPPOSED to be blown out of proportion. it's required! That also goes for the combat. Trust me, i'm a HUGE fan of actual tactics and realistic combat. But it's supposed to be blown out of proportion to fit the genre. If you think about it, they really have a choice to make. Do they want it to be visually appealing, or do they want it to be realistic?

Yes, you should, because the Battle of Thermopylae actually HAPPENED. 300 Spartans faced off against between 300,000 and 500,000 Persians and held them off. The epic genre is generally about events that never happened, or events that very little is known about for one reason or another. The battle of Thermopylae is neither. It definitely happened, and it is one of the better recorded events of the ancient world, because it was such a big deal. People were still talking and writing about it many centuries later. Now, that said, you can make a movie both realistic and visually appealing. I've seen it done.

QuoteI love realistic battle strategies, and i read about them all the time in the books i read. But would 2 hours of holding formation and complicated combat strategies really have been as entertaining?

There would have been ways to make it entertaining, yes.

QuoteAlso, you forgot to complain about their annoying accents! Man... there's no way thats what they talked like back then. They pretty much just sound like arrogant americans. The scene where he talks with the Godking... like seriously, he's strutting around like the most TYPICAL of cocky americans.... thats more annoying then any historical inaccuracy or flat characters

I thought that was obvious to anyone with ears, and I've already said that my rant wasn't nearly complete. An actual rant about all the issues I have with that movie would take at least a page. My least favorite character was the corrupt politician dude, I mean, how much more American can you get? But them not talking in ancient Greek, well I can understand that. Given that no one alive today speaks it, it would have been rather hard to do. So they were kinda forced to use English, and since most of the actors were American, they had American accents.

Oh ya, and not all the characters were flat. The queen lady's character was a little little little bit complicated, and went through some transformations (although i'll admit, everything that happened to her was predictable... that "evil" politician guy was SOOOO overdone, lol)

1) We barely saw the queen. There was hardly enough time for character development. 2) What transformations? She said good bye to hubby and then proceeded to try and rally the country to war, exactly as her husband asked her too. I saw no real complexity in her character, and if there were any transformations, they were minor.

Alazar is Back

well.....volk wy didnt you just come out and say that you hated the movie, down right! I dont analyze movies i watch them, and that movie to me was really appealing!

Aqualis

Yeah, man, don't analyze stuff. It's, like, bad for your brain, dude.

*opens window*

*Pink Floyd*

hummingbird

~the mighta awualis

Alazar is Back

sweet picture

i couldn't have said it better myself! :wink: