Blustery

Started by wolf bite, October 22, 2007, 07:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taekwondokid42

Improving the wall:

Be a stoat, grab all the land you can academy up to full huts, revolt to lizard, spend turns up to 100% health, build buildings that got destroyed during revolt into towers!

The only issue: you will be gambling with the revolt. It will only pay off if you can lose little enough cash to make the switch to 80% defense worth it. Then: use all remaining turns to raise defenses and do the special lizard leader move as much as possible.

Then, pray that you are successful.

If you are playing ladder game, and you take most of the land, you can move into the northlands with all your land and be home free, until someone else makes it into the northlands.

BUT, you will have the advantage, because you will have the land.

windhound

ach
that would lock you up good
from my playing around with stoat you cant grab a ton of land and use academy in the same run.  the ratio needed for it is too high, you have to basically fill your huts before you can overfill them
the revolt requires 100 turns and 75% health, so 175 turns.  Its a good thought to gain the massive defence boost given to lizard, but it would have to be done over atleast two runs...  then revolt again to get rid of the lizard next run, as its not really the best horde to run with

wolf's strat still locks you up pretty good and requires extra turns to build and demolish
those turns could be better spent by just leaving a low defence, hopeing noone slams you, and getting your land back next run
8 mil rats isnt all that much, especially at the point you can scrounge up 60k acres. if you had a decent base its a nice, but eh

the best way for somone to become unbreakable is to take so much land that after 21 defences you still have plenty left, repeat, and after a few runs you've got a significant portion of the game's land.  from there you can use the land to raise a massive army that none of the landstarved guys below you can break
this is an overagressive strat I disagree with
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

The best way to lock up land is to do it at the beginning of a round or era. Once it gets going it's very hard to make an effective defense. At the beginning of a round, you grab as much land as you can, get as much money as you can, then demolish huts until you have a 175 ratio, put the rest into towers, and buy as many troops as you can. Heavy on the rats. It's still hard to do right though.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

taekwondokid42

Quote from: windhound on October 27, 2007, 07:39:02 PM
ach
that would lock you up good
from my playing around with stoat you cant grab a ton of land and use academy in the same run.  the ratio needed for it is too high, you have to basically fill your huts before you can overfill them
the revolt requires 100 turns and 75% health, so 175 turns.  Its a good thought to gain the massive defence boost given to lizard, but it would have to be done over atleast two runs...  then revolt again to get rid of the lizard next run, as its not really the best horde to run with

arguments: 1. You NEED 75% health to revolt, but you only LOSE 50%. that takes you down to 150 turns for the revolt.
                   2. Stoats can get massive land grabs AND academy, simply because all you need to do is only have 30k huts in the first place. Academy up to 165ish, build 30k more, and viola! Full huts!
                   3. It may not be easy to run with lizard, but that is not the point. The point is to lock up the game, and float on top until someone breaks you.

windhound

eh
no, not really.  the point is to have a good defence between runs so that you still have the land when you come back
I've done it, but it was a right pain in the rear.  Conversion to mostly gaurds at the end of every run, only as many leaders as needed for defence, and as many as I could manage of each troop type

oh, and
1.  Alright there, I havnt had to use revolt in a while
2.  You assume you're starting with 30k acres when you're going for 60, usually it'll be ~20.  Still, not a bad idea to use it before you go gather land and ruin your ratio
3.  Not the point to lockup the game
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

taekwondokid42

Quote from: windhound on October 28, 2007, 10:19:02 AM
2.  You assume you're starting with 30k acres when you're going for 60, usually it'll be ~20.  Still, not a bad idea to use it before you go gather land and ruin your ratio

Actually, I'd assume I'm starting at like 15k.

What I'm saying is: Grab 60k land, building huts every 20-30 turns.

When you are finally at the level of land you want to be at, demolish huts until you can academy.

Since you have been gaining leaders the whole time, this would usually meant that you can academy at 30k.

But sometimes you have to demolish down to 20k, academy, build up to 40k, academy, build the rest, academy.

If you do have to take 3 times, you will end up spending about 25 extra turns.

Rough Raiders

Solution:
Just have fun, without thinking too hard. :)
Official Forum Acorn Thrower
Holbs is the Master Slicer of MY Acorns with Twin Katana Swords
Leader of the TMNT Alliance
I CLAIM MYSELF THE ALMIGHTY HATED ONE ;)

calria

So, old people coming back, anyone?

Sitting at a desk answering phones from 9-5 every day leaves me with way too much braindead computer time.

Now if I could just figure out how to play again...

wolf bite

Great to see you cal, so you got married off I think?

It is sometimes hard to figure out who everyone is, but I am counting 6 emperors of old in the game right now.  Those are the ones that in the vengeful first year that had over 100 players that could take and hold the top spots against all fighting for it. I don't know if in the begaining you also made it into the club, but that would make 7!  Not to mention those that have held emperor since that are also playing.

There is a wind blowing ...

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

The Lady Shael

6 emperors? o.o I don't think so...I don't think any of them are active actually...the 8 emperors from first era anyway. They were Stormclaw, Retto (twice), me, Orcrist, Ragefur, Josh/Fenix, and Raine/Vengerak. I guess you're just talking about the whole first year.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

wolf bite

During the time when we had well over 100 people playing, would include others like blood wake, windy,  Xenocide, holby, shael, peace, me and some others. I think there are about 15 or 20 people in exclusive membership, oh, and se let Snare in to honorary.

Humm, should start a post to see who all is in the club.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

The Obliterator

What would you class as an emperor
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better

windhound

Hey Cal!

Depends on your definition of old
my Nero claimed emp Feb. 2004 ( http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums/index.php?topic=4313.0 ), 3 years ago...  so what, when RWL was 3 years old?  Not old-old, but not recent either.

the old def of an emp is to hold the top 10 consecutive days..  which was actually a feat with 50+ actually active players
I believe I was the only one to do so purely by the power of food.  I had literally zero army, just some leaders if I remember correctly.

The Obliterator

Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better

calria

Yes, I'm married now, living in Houston and working and generally bemoaning the beginning of "real" life.

I wasn't an emperor... I never actually made it into the top ten more than once or twice, but I was in on some of Fenix's more scandalous actions. Other than that, though, I'm actually fairly awful at the game. But who cares, it's fun. I do claim the right to being old-school old-school RWL. So there. ^-^