Warlord Honor

Started by The Lady Shael, March 31, 2011, 06:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

My concept of honor is kind of a mix of wolf bite and Shadow's views. Always keep your word, be loyal to people you have teamed up with. If someone betrays you, it is worthy of retribution. Accept the consequences of your actions. I myself try not to over-attack people unless I'm creating or helping to support an emp. I may attack a lot of times if someone has a lot of land, but I generally don't knock people to well below the average land.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Holby

I don't think it's fair to say this game isn't played with honour because there are now no attack limits.

I still believe RWL is a very honourable game, and it gives players the opportunity to show it on a frequent basis.

In 2003-4, Juska was a punk, Peace Alliance was obnoxious and destructive, and Wolf Snare was an annoying little kid ( :-* ).  Nothing about the game was "Disney" back then.

It was all a bit lovey dovey in the very first Era, but that's understandable given the newness of the game.

Attitudes have changed somewhat, but largely they remain the same now as they were six or seven years ago.

Most players have some form of ethics, but they recognise receiving a large number of attacks isn't the end of the world.

I have always been an aggressive player, and nothing about my gameplay has changed over time. The only really solid rule I play by is never to attack another Warlord while they're online. Of course, generally not performing offensive leader missions, and kills runs, and whatever else is part of it, too. But the lines can get blurry at times.

As far as teaching others about playing honourably...

I'm more about instilling respect and fairness for fellow players. Not freaking out over attacks, not starting fights, only hitting for land.

That's what I mean when I say honour in this game.
I will not deleted this

Kyrolin Zenyar

That is the best definition of current Warlord honor yet.
Highest Rank: 1 (turbo)
Lowest Rank: Last?
Quote from: Krowdon on May 29, 2011, 08:52:15 PM
Who goes to war over spam? ohrite, we do. RSL!

Firetooth

I don't online unless in war, and I don't sack unless I'm an indy and low on resources. That said, if somebody leaves piles of cash undefended, I'll take it. I also capture leaders, seeing as if they aren't captured they just all die when that player uses their first turns next run.

I usually don't murder, but if soembody is trying to lock I will, especially if they don't leave shields up. :D
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Kyrolin Zenyar

Yeah, shields are good!

Quixote Katana

I do not attack another Warlord while he/she is online. At least, I'm sure I haven't done it on purpose before.
I'm not sure what the average amount of land per warlord would be, but I never try to hit anyone below 10,000 acres.
When attacking, I normally just grab some land as part of my run. And Espionage if I can, to see which type of troop I should attack with.
I've (recently?) begun to look above my score to see what land I might grab, instead of below my score. Even though I may be struggling a bit.

This is a good topic, by the way.
Master of House Katana. Warlord of Fort Shadow. Member of the Empire of the Phoenix.
The Last Samurai.

Holby

Quote from: Quixote Katana on April 05, 2011, 08:46:29 PM
And Espionage if I can, to see which type of troop I should attack with.
That's a really good idea! No need to hide it in size 1 :P
I will not deleted this

Kyrolin Zenyar

Yeah, I do the same as Quixote, except I attack once Standard to see what they are weakest in.

Briar

Quote from: Firetooth on April 02, 2011, 05:02:50 PM
I don't online unless in war, and I don't sack unless I'm an indy and low on resources. That said, if somebody leaves piles of cash undefended, I'll take it. I also capture leaders, seeing as if they aren't captured they just all die when that player uses their first turns next run.

Agreed.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

The Lady Shael

So, relevant to current events, what are your views on honor relating to clan play? It's expected that you should always be true to your clan. Are there any cases where it is acceptable to help another clan against your own clan's interests?
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Firetooth

Quote from: The Lady Shael on April 28, 2011, 10:13:27 AM
So, relevant to current events, what are your views on honor relating to clan play? It's expected that you should always be true to your clan. Are there any cases where it is acceptable to help another clan against your own clan's interests?
I think that if people aid other clans and spy in forced clan rounds, they should be banned for the rest of that round. The leader of the clan can't boot them, and can do nothing but watch whilst that member gains net from the storehouse and aids it away. It goes against everything these rounds stand for.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

Clan betrayal is dishonorable. Clan betrayal in forced clan rounds is code abuse.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

The Lady Shael

I think a ban for the rest of the round is a little excessive. Again I'll point out, leaders are free to ally other clans, so it is acceptable to team up or aid other clans. I do however agree that the point of forced clan rounds are to team up with other people that you might not normally work with. I'd call circumventing that "theme abuse" rather than code abuse, since there isn't really any way in the code to detect clan betrayal.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Kilkenne

You could just use your omniscient powers to spy on what they've been up to.

Content: The concept of honor in this game I think has played itself out. The era of games where everyone expected to behave honorably has come and gone. Can people play by their own personal morals still? Absolutely, and I'm sure they get extra community respect for it. But I don't think there should be any sort of punishment outside of community scorn for acting in a way in a game that would be termed "dishonorable".

Neobaron

Quote from: The Lady Shael on April 28, 2011, 10:13:27 AM

DISCLAIMER:This is entirely unrelated to the current issue in turbo. Please do not connect the two.

Sometimes being 'fair and honest' means making sure the megalomania inherent in some clans doesn't get out of hand. If I join a group, help them up, do my best, and then find out that I have been assigned to beatdown on a hapless entity - clan or otherwise - I will not do it. If I feel it is unnecessary and/or overkill, I will even often do an aboutface and make darn sure that target clan is fully aware of what is about to happen.

But then I don't often clan.

Usually I remain perfectly neutral and try to make sure all parties are being treated as fairly as possible in all circumstances. Information is easy enough to get, and I feel it is my job to pass it around to make sure nobody gets pummeled.

However, when clans do overstep their bounds - which I will admit are assigned arbitrarily by me, but within and beyond hard parameters - I can, have, and will act on  behalf of the rest of the game to the best of my abilities.

Few people remember BAº and what it stood for. We didn't cap the game or force resets, we just held others in check to make sure everyone had a shot at competing.

This game will always need white knights. Unfortunately, they're not often organized and motivated.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.