Makeing a Redwall Turn Based Game

Started by Sunflash, April 20, 2005, 10:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunflash

HI, I am thinking about makeing a Redwall turn based game but do not know where to start.
I was just wondering if someone who knows (I.E an admin or creator of RWL) would tell me how RWL was made :unsure:  

windhound

The game is based off the Promi code,
but this game's code has been in development for years now,
you'll need to know PHP and a bit of HTML to beable to create and or modify it..  it's availibe for download off the mainpage (www.redwallwarlords.com) if you care to look
you'll need a medium powered server and a gig or two of bandwidth (my geuss) to beable to run 'er..

lastly, this belongs in Help/Bugs/Development, so I shall help it there ^_^
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Peace Alliance

I gave someone the 'ol history the other day, so its still fresh in me mind.

Basically, the code RWL is based on was written years ago and distributed as freeware. Redwall: warlords (RWL) is based off of that code, but has had significent changes since the original code that makes it more unique, certainly more secure, and unbugged(ish).

Information on the current source code for RWL can be found Here

Golden

Use QMT's code, qmt.ath.cx (type it un your URL line and it'll work) ask Quietus for the code.

Neone ever play Lord's of the realm? Think we could mod hold that thought.

Golden

LoTR is a turned based game made in like 95 it's turned based with 6 or 7 troops types, 5 rescouces, 7 or so castles, 4 seasons, a real time battle system and a simulated one, how hard would it be to take what we have here and change it into something like that? A low graphics turn based game.

Sunflash

well, thanks for your help, I know a little bit of HTML but not a bit of PHP, I kinda figured it would take that.

thanks anyways

-Sunflash  

bjornredtail

BAXX isn't hard to set up. You just need to upload the files to your webserver, CHMOD them, edit the config.php (Don't worry, everything is fully documented in it), and run the setup file. In BAXX, the setup file does everything DB related for you. Same goes for FAF...
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Sicarius

ok...i need to upload the game...and i dont know where,so maybe you know and can share this with me ^_^

RS-Wolf Methos

bjornredtail

First you need a webhost. You will most likely spend some money on this. Both BAXX and FAF require the following:
1. PHP
2. MySQL
3. Cronjobs  (There is an experimental fakecron modification to FAF, but it's really slow even under trivial loads)

Once you have aquried hosting, just use an FTP (or equilivant) program to move the files from your computer to the server.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Sicarius

what with that?...is it good for upload this game there?

Absolutely No banner ads
Virtual domain: user.marhost.com
Unlimited E-mail boxes
Unlimited Mysql databases
Online Graphical Website Statistics
Online webFTP for uploads
Online proffesional webmail
Unlimited E-mail Forwarding, Filters
Site security with .htaccess
Full cgi-bin permissions
Perl,PHP,Sendmail supported
Disk space quota 10Mb
Monthly transfer quota 500Mb
The most liberal usage policies!

RS-Wolf Methos

wolf bite

Nevadacow and other computer literate people,

Just a note. This is our new friend from Israel who is working with the people that run the original Prom running in Hebrew. They are trying to get BAXX up and running for a test to see if they want to upgrade to BAXX. I know we get a bunch of young kids that want to only play around, but these guys are serious about improving their already existing on-line community. Please overlook that his English is a bit broken. Any help you guys can give him (even hands on) is much appreciated. Remember to be clear, detailed, and no slang as you could exceed his vocabulary.

Thanks

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Sicarius

Quote from: wolf biteNevadacow and other computer literate people,

Just a note. This is our new friend from Israel who is working with the people that run the original Prom running in Hebrew. They are trying to get BAXX up and running for a test to see if they want to upgrade to BAXX. I know we get a bunch of young kids that want to only play around, but these guys are serious about improving their already existing on-line community. Please overlook that his English is a bit broken. Any help you guys can give him (even hands on) is much appreciated. Remember to be clear, detailed, and no slang as you could exceed his vocabulary.

Thanks

Wolf Bite
hahaha :lol: ...maybe i can't speak very well in english...buy i understand everything that you are said...
and about the israeli "Prom " we call it " Empires War" and our manager has been left the game...so because i know that i can do game like this...i want to create one for the israeli gamers...my only problem is to find server for the game...because i can't paid for server by myself...i can but it's not worth it...by the way do you pay for this site\server,whatever...?

Wolf Bite...thanks for the support ^_^

RS-Wolf Methos

wolf bite

The game you use is a Prom too. If you click the bottom in game, you will see the "full credits" for those that made the game. Prom = Promisance. That is the first game like this. All the rest have used their idea and programing to make it better and/or different. You are running the first version.

I don't know if Retto (the owner and my boss) pays for his site. I would think so because he has many games and forums that he runs.

I hope you read my post as you are NOT one of the young kids that sometimes post asking how to download.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

windhound

I'm ~ sure that rovl.org is Retto's server..  
he runs rwl and vi off it at any rate

Methos, one of the problems you'd have with the server you mentioned is bandwidth (Monthly transfer quota 500Mb) usually 1/2 a gig is enough for normal sites, but a prom game uses more..  and I didnt notice if they said they support cron jobs..  you could always email them..

you'll usually have to pay for a server with the options needed to run a prom game..  but you might beable to find one for free..  xepher may still be up..  oo, it is..  https://xepher.net/  <= RWL was orginally hosted there..  I dont remember what issue we had there..  I think it was hacked on more than one occasion ;)  but might be worth checking out
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Retto

I do pay for this site (I run five websites off the one server, probably six when I get my portfolio site up, and it's worth it to have something of my own for all that). I have one of the higher priced plans because of the bandwidth and space needs of these sites, and because of the access I need to my server, but you can find reasonably priced servers out there that cost less than $80 per year - which isn't that much. You can probably also find some free spaces - RWL was previously hosted for free at a place called xepher.net, I don't know if they're still offering service, but if you know some people, you can often find some place to have the site put up.
The 'ittle otter,
Retto