Theme ideas

Started by Shadow, June 30, 2013, 02:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

When we were designing 3.0, we wanted to make a game where holding a defense was a beneficial thing, without making it too powerful. I don't think we've struck that balance yet, and after playing with it for so long I am not sure we can, the way things are now. But I had a theme idea that could change that.

When you attack someone, you always take -some- land. But the max amount you take would be determined by how badly you beat your opponent. We could also make it a fairly wide gaussian distribution so that there would be some lucky large hits even if you didn't win by too much.

This would make it so that holding a defense means less land loss, but it also ensure that even strong defenders lost -something- when people hit them. We would have to recode how maxxing works, so that you get maxxed after a certain portion of land loss or maxxing would be on the attacker's side or something, but it could be interesting to play with.

Thoughts?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

taekwondokid42

I don't like the idea of lucky large hits, but I do like the idea of encouraging holding a defense every run. I believe that there have already been some complaints about how huge the land sway is each run.

And actually, I think that right now there are large advantages to holding your defense after dropping land. I did it all last round and it worked really well for me. In 2 weeks I only had to get leaders twice. So I think part of the problem is that the playerbase just isn't used to attempting to hold a defense.

Also, I'm officially annoyed at how easy it is to kill a clanned person, and also think that it's too hard to kill an unclanned person. For the rwl community, I think killing should a very difficult but not impossible process, kind of like maintaining an emperorship.

I don't think that I would mind seeing land gains based on how badly you win or lose. Put it at a relatively high max that means undefended warlords will lose large chunks of land, and put it at a relatively low min so that well defended warlords only lose like 10% over the course of 20 attacks.

As for killing, we could just try a round where killing isn't allowed at all. But then you have to leave other avenues for destroying down a warlord and their marketed NW.

Perhaps we should have a round where 500 land is the lowest you can take someone, period. And we'll keep tweaking the market so that clans can't aid eachother through the market. I'm still thinking about a way to do this, but right now marketed NW is the only NW that is well protected from aggression.

We could try an automatic market. Basically, you give goods to the market because you want money, and the market adjusts the price for you (against your will) to sell the goods at a price that tries to maintain an equalibrium. That ends all possibility for market abuse because you can't control who is selling the goods or who is getting the money when they are bought. When you put stuff on the market the understanding is that it'll sell within the next 24 hours.

eh?

taekwondokid42

Round Idea: Mystery Land round. There's no way to tell how much land someone has except by attacking them. Sure you could do NW math and such, but the scores page, warlord page, and info page all fail to tell you how much land a person has.

This might be hard to code.

Shadow

that's actually pretty simple to code, just have to add some ifs around the display code. Bad practice, but easy ^_^
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

taekwondokid42

I had a killer idea:

Kill the land farm and you become the land farm. XD. By this I just mean that all dropped land goes to you. There still exists a land farm who scouts all day.

Less interesting:

Stored turns go up to 500, any turns that can't be stored are automatically spent earning loyalty. This would force people to play or leave though, and people might choose to leave instead of play regularly.