WAY TOO MUCH LAND

Started by Drakus, May 04, 2013, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakus

Instead of resetting reg, how about we scale down the land for everyone?

Besides, how did all that land come about?
meow

Kilkenne

Reg hasn't been reset in 4ish years. Maybe longer. When there's not a reset for that long, take into consideration that every single person who has ever scouted, unless their account was disabled or went on vacation with that land, has that land in the game presently.

Shadow

~950 players each scout 6k land = 5.7 million, plus land farm continuously scouting for that entire time, plus people who died and revived with the same number. There should be upwards of 7 million land, of which not even half is actually circulating.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Brecu Vano

Is there a way to scale it down?

Have some bot attack everyone and go into vacation

Drakus

Have the programmers scale it down with code, not bots
meow

Kilkenne

It's not that simple, if it was the fix would be put in place. Currently there are less active accounts than there normally are for the amount of land that is in the game. Were there 40 active players, the land would be more spread out and it'd seem more normal. The solution right now is probably a reset, but that decision has yet to be made. There might be something big coming, though. WHO KNOWS?

windhound

"It's not that simple, if it was the fix would be put in place"

I <3 your optimism, but you over estimate my motivation and Shadow's amount of time that can be allotted to coding.

There's a couple ways to draw down land
Easiest way would be to have the landfarm stop scouting and drop a few acres here and there.
We could also implement a land drop on attacks, the game discards a few percent of each attack until everyone isn't landfat.  That would likely be the fastest and not very hard to code.

A reset would solve the problem though (has reg really been running for 4 years?)
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

Most people seem to favor a reset, according to the poll I made.

And yea, it really is pretty simple, but it's not something that is a general solution so I think a reset is a much cleaner option than kludging a land drop for this specific situation.

Drakus

I don't like the idea of a reset, many smaller players won't know how to get back on their feet, myself included.
meow

Shadow

You got where you are now once, what's to stop you doing it again?

Of course people are always willing to help if you ask questions :)

Sevz

I like the big land. Helps my lizard get towers quickly.

Sevz votes no on proposition reset
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Drakus

I thought you quit, sevz.

meow

Durza

sevz says he quits often.
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Drakus

I wouldn't be too pissed off if there was a reset, but how do we know who's who? I don't wanna have to ask everyone!
meow

Shadow

Haha, it all comes out sooner or later. Plus most people don't hide identities on reg.