Computer build

Started by Sharptooh, August 25, 2013, 08:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

Well, its not Win7 so much as Win7 Home.
64 bit systems can address around 16 exabytes of memory (32 bit systems are stuck at 4GB), the 16GB limit is just Microsoft being a butt and trying to force people to use Windows Pro.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_8
Windows 8 is better at 128GB for their standard edition, which afaik no consumer PC can do at the moment.  512GB for their Pro and Server

Makes me wish I'd picked up a preorder copy of Win8 for $40...  ah well, I'll deal.
Though if you plan on upgrading your memory later be aware of the limits with Win7, especially the Home Basic edition (8GB). 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

I'll get home premium - but I know my computer habits, and if I ever saturate even 8GB I will be amazed. Having more than one program open at a time only happens if I have a really pressing need to be switching between them regularly, and even then it makes me twitchy. Usually there is one thing going on at a time.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..