What happened...

Started by Saladin, September 23, 2008, 09:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fexfighter

you cannot be a god becuase my faith (dont even mention anything about it ) also take it from someone who knows about not being human
My Warrior Cats guild on the website called gaia

Shadow

1, dont double post

2, that's the silliest thing ive ever heard, and since it was already established earlier on that my word is the absolute truth, I don't have to justify that statement.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

fexfighter

windhound

Edit button Fex, its there for a reason.  And please dont spam

And eh.  There are actual meanings behind the words Geek and Nerd, they're not derogative statements...  though often times they're used as such.

Quote from: wikipediaNerd is a term ... that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age inappropriate rather than engaging in more social or popular activities.
Quote from: wikipediaThe word geek is a slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, gaming, etc."

There was a slashdot post a long while back that I thought summed it up better, but teh wiki did alright.

And there is certainly a socially acceptable definition of "cool." 
There's a fuzz in the dividing lines, sure, but there are some people who are just cool and there are some people who just arnt.  at all.

Quote from: fexfighter on November 20, 2008, 10:12:16 PM
you cannot be a god becuase my faith (dont even mention anything about it ) also take it from someone who knows about not being human
Do you not recognise other religions exist?
Zeus is a Greek God, whether or not your religion wants him to be.
That argument is incredibly faulty, I urge you not to use it.  Its basically saying "it cant be because I dont want it to be"

Oh, and
Quote from: Ragefur4. There is a 94% chance that Ereptor is DEAD.

Dead people cannot argue, therefore Ereptor is false.
Thanks Ragey, I needed a laugh

However, given Ereptor is posting, and the fact that he is indeed most likely dead, I'm afraid I must go prepare for the zombie invasion.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ragefur

Yeah... The point was to show that relying ONLY on statistics is a bad move.
Highest Rank: 1
8th player ever.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteFIRST: I don't want to be having this debate, but people are telling me that I am not who I am, which needs a defense.

We are saying you aren't God. We're not saying you aren't Ragefur.

Second... Statistics: There is a 1 in  6 BILLION probability that I am not who I say I am qua person; that's far higher than the 1 in 1 HUNDRED or THOUSAND that was cited as the probability of me being GOD. The only way of knowing who I am is by me saying it. Internal states of being are utterly subjective and can't be examined by third persons... If feel cold, is no argument you can present which will stop me from believing that I feel cold....

I said the statistics that Ereptor cited were incorrect. The actual figures against you being God are 1 in like 150 quintillion. And once again, you being God is testable, as there are specific abilities and powers attributed to God, and if you have them, then you are God, if you don't have them you are not God.

Quote1. Ereptor is a human person.
2. If x is a human person x is either DEAD or ALIVE.
3. Approximately 6% of all human persons are alive. (http://www.prb.org/Articles/2002/HowManyPeopleHaveEverLivedonEarth.aspx)
4. There is a 94% chance that Ereptor is DEAD.
\

Yup. There is a 94% chance that he is dead. However, there is simple test to see whether he is or is not dead. Take a biopsy and test his cells for the presence of ATP. (Adenosine TriPhosphate)

Dead people cannot argue, therefore Ereptor is false.

Since he is posting, the evidence suggests he is either alive or a zombie. There is a very small chance that he is a zombie, so he is probably alive.

QuoteHow?

The only way to show a premise is true is through a further argument. Which also has premises and a conclusion.

Or scientific testing.

QuoteAll facts are beliefs.  It is a fact THAT the world exists regardless of whether or not you BELIEVE that it does. Your belief that the outside world exists is based on your(unprovable) belief that your senses are accurate.

I refer you to Descartes. As I already said.

As for all facts being beliefs, well philosophically speaking, you are correct, but in the everyday world, there is a distinction between belief and fact. Fact is something that is ultimately provable, a belief may or may not be provable.

QuoteAll of these are DEFENDED by reason, not arrived at THROUGH reason.

Bah. You are in defiance of most of Philosophy here, philosophy says that conclusions can and are arrived at through logic and reason, not simply defended by them.

for one thats prejudice and two you're wrong there are no standards for "coolness" even if you think that   and finally there is no such thing as a geek or nerd only the fantasy of the movies if someone is a nerd you're a just saying they have a higher intelect level than you

Prejudice? How so?

Actually, there are generally recognized definitions and standards for being cool and being a nerd or a geek. You can look these definitions up.

Fex, there most definitely are geeks and nerds. I am one (a geek). Being a geek or a nerd is not necessarily about being smart. Many geeks and nerds are of above average intelligence, but the most common features of nerds or geeks is a tendency to focus on one subject much more than other people do, and social awkwardness.

QuoteYeah... The point was to show that relying ONLY on statistics is a bad move.

I though I had proposed a scientific test earlier, apparently I mean to but did not. Anyway, statistics plus hypothesis test should put this issue away for good.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Ragefur

Well, you still haven't proposed a scientific test... What are the attributes and properties of a god that you you would like to test and see if I pass them?

Philosophically speaking, facts are things which are in the world, whereas beliefs are mental propositions. Beliefs can be about facts. You There is no verb form for "fact" you believe facts or disbelieve them, facts are true or not.

Scientific sets about proving a hypothesis as follows...

1. If my hypothesis is true, then I should observe x PREMISE, unverifiable
2. I observe x. PREMISE, unverifiable.
3. Therefore my hypothesis is true. CONCLUSION

The whole of science is actually based on a logical fallacy(of affirming the consequent; you learn about it in early logic courses), but nevertheless, science is logic applied to observation. The whole things is sort of a running joke among philosophers of science.

QuoteFact is something that is ultimately provable, a belief may or may not be provable.
So... by that definition all provable beliefs are facts... If you read Descartes(and post-cartesian sceptics) you'll quickly learn that there is very little that is provable beyond a shadow of a doubt...
8th player ever.

Firetooth

lol, quit bringing science into coolness.
If you must, there is a simple equation
chav-geek(to the power of and/or) nerd+boof*"coolness"=nerdiness<coolness
there. NOW. SHUT. UP. ABOUT. WHO'S. COOLEST!!!!!!!! >:(
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Gorak

Quote from: Ragefur on November 21, 2008, 09:11:20 AM
Well, you still haven't proposed a scientific test... What are the attributes and properties of a god that you you would like to test and see if I pass them?

I suggest testing for omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence.
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Ragefur

I never claimed to be any of those things... I am not the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob... That would be blasphemous.
8th player ever.

fexfighter

You miss judge me i realise existence of other gods or goddess's but i choose to worship these so please take that back it is no longer true.

Oh yes i just wanted to say this "the glory of debates (especially the ones i start)"

Ungatt Trunn II

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Just about any argument there is (No matter how stupid it is) you all somehow manage to get extremely off topic and begin to bicker amongst yourselves. And all these arguments really are is to see who can type the biggest word, or sound the smartest, or make the other guy look dumb. Jesus Christ I'll never understand any of you...
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Ragefur

Ungatt, I agree with you... It's stupid just like hockey is just a stupid contest to see who can skate the fastest or hit the hardest, and shoot the straightest or make the other team look bad... Holy Ragefur, I'll never understand any of you hockey players.

PS: You can also change hockey to football, or Warcraft or any other game of your choice...
8th player ever.

Ungatt Trunn II

Now, to guess if you are being sarcastic or not...
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Aqualis

"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis