You never know what you have until it's gone...

Started by The Lady Shael, August 04, 2005, 10:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

I had two permanant molars (not wisdom teeth) pulled yesterday, for braces. I'm gonna have two more pulled on the other side next week. It's kinda like when I was little, and I lost my baby teeth, except instead of a new tooth, all there is is a bloody hole. I almost feel sad...I sure hope my orthodontist knows what he's doing.

Anyways, I was bored, and we needed a random discussion topic. Any of you have teeth pulled?
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Peace Alliance

I had the same thing happen to me. I got 2 taken out and 2 the next week. Then i had a few years of braces, and then a retainer... and THEN they decided to inform me that i STILL have to get my wisdom teeth taken out. After all that?? bah!

anyways, thats when i stopped going to the dentist. i'm just going to avoid them for the rest of my life.

wolf bite

I must have been extra wise, I had 4 wisdom teeth. They were so impacted that I had to go to the hospital for 2 days and was knocked out for the doctors to remove them. The best part about having teeth removed is that you get lots of ice cream, I got twice as much and for twice as long.

Oh and my orthodontist was the one for the stars in a Beverly Hills pent house. One day I went in and there were 5 black kids about my age. The doctor whispered in my ear they were the Jacksons. I never knew they were real people until then.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Nohcnonk

I got to leave mine in when I got braces. ^_^

Scarwake

I've had teeth pulled...i think maybe two...I don't remember.  ohhh well...lol
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Ruatine

When I was around 6 or 7, I had to get my left front tooth pulled (still a baby tooth), 'cause it wouldn't fall out on its own and the permanent tooth was coming in behind it. I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to get her wisdom teeth pulled after having braces. Three of them came in perfectly, and the fourth hasn't shown any signs that it wants to be seen. ^.^
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

wolf bite

Ops, just re-read my own last post. It was 6 wisdom teeth! I had 2 extra ones!

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Barkclaw2

My mom got her tooth pulled. she got dry-socket. And from the same dentist that gave her dry-socket before.
Sorry to all that I cause distress to. I can sometimes be a jerk (Well, ok, all the time). I don't mean to be.

Disdain

Dentists don't "give" you dry socket. It's all in the recovery and what you do while recovering. Does your mom smoke? Smoking, sipping on a straw, or anything that requires sucking can cause dry socket.

I could be wrong, though.  :shock:  I looked it up once and that's what it said.    8)

(click to enlarge)

Barkclaw2

My mom doesn't smoke.
My mom says it's his fault....
Sorry to all that I cause distress to. I can sometimes be a jerk (Well, ok, all the time). I don't mean to be.

The Lady Shael

Ouch, Wolf, 6 wisdom teeth? Ice cream is always an awesome consolation though, I got that the other day, and I'm hoping I'll get more next week.
Ha, my orthodontist says I only have one wisdom tooth. So far anyways. There's some weird blob that could be forming into one, but they're not sure what it is yet. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Ruatine

A dry socket is:  
Any socket in which a patient is having pain due to the loss of the blood clot thus exposing the bone to air, food, and fluids along with an offensive odor.  This often occurs two or more days after an extraction and can last about 5-6 days.  It is normal to have soreness and discomfort following an extraction. However, pain should be lessening by the second day.
This condition exists when a blood clot is dislodged from the surgery site thus exposing the bone and fine nerve endings. The blood clot helps in the stopping of bleeding and lays the foundation or framework for new tissue and bone to develop over a two-month healing process.  This condition is more common in the mandibular area and in back teeth due to poorer circulation in this area, with wisdom teeth being the most common site.  Dry socket delays the healing process.
It usually takes gum tissue about 3-4 weeks to heal where as the bone can take up to six months to heal.

This condition is most often found:

In individuals who smoke before their recommended time.  Smoking: decreases healing, decrease blood supply to the protective blood clot, brings toxic products to the area, injuries the gum tissue and the negative pressure of sucking removes the blood clot from the surgery site.

If you do not care for your extraction site as instructed by staff.  

Not following your home care instruction.  

Sucking action from smoking, sneezing, coughing, spitting or sucking,  within the first 24 hours.  

Women taking oral contraceptives are more susceptible.

Thought that might be informative. ^.^
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Nohcnonk

So it could be his fault. ^_^  Even if it's not, I'm sure you could sue him anyway!

Barkclaw2

Thanks, Teufel!
I have my wisdom teeth, almost grown. and i'm 12. Is that normal?

Ruatine

Are you sure they're not just your 12 year molars, 'cause you get those around your age? Wisdom teeth don't usually come in until 17+.