Accent on 'happy'...

Started by The Lady Shael, October 30, 2003, 04:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

Oh yeah... one more thing... someone asked why we are down on California... well thats easy... Californians are crazy.. who else would elect an Austrian with an obsession of the perfection of the human body as their governor? (If you don't get that reference.. I am refering to Arnold...)
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Dead Eye

He also rapes women, and has no brain. Only the California would vote for a man with a record for raping over 10 women.
Dead Eye Trueflight of the Seas, Servent to the Emperor and Empress of the Northlands<br><br><a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha' target='_blank'>http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha</a><br><br>Spokesperson for The winter clan. <br><br>Part of the ROC since some time in October-Nov

Riverpaw

Quote from: TrajanWhy do you want to make fun of Californians??? This is dumb.
You may have misunderstood us. We merely meant it was prounced differently there, not that either way was superior or anything.
I am back. First to notice gets a cookie...

*ten years later*

Oh.

Ashyra Nightwing

Yes... for me, it's definitely HA'ppy...

Aminrael

Quote from: Dead EyeHe also rapes women, and has no brain. Only the California would vote for a man with a record for raping over 10 women.
Hey! No insulting Californians. I'm not saying that I supported Arnold winning the election, I'm just saying that since this happened in California, you automatically assume that everyone from California has no brain. And you shouldn't. Nyeh.

And Shael, I say HAppy. But I was born in California, so I'm not sure if the reason your teacher says haPPY is because she's from Cali...
"JWPOINGKLGNF, she says. This is non-typical. Why she says it, we're not sure."
-Stormy

Gen. Volkov

I didn't say that all Californians were.. oh wait yes I did.. well I apologize... I;ll just say that MOST Califorinians are crazy... cause Arnold got a majority of the vote...
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Veranor

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=happy

hap?py    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (hap'e)
adj. hap?pi?er, hap?pi?est
Characterized by good luck; fortunate.
Enjoying, showing, or marked by pleasure, satisfaction, or joy.
Being especially well-adapted; felicitous: a happy turn of phrase.
Cheerful; willing: happy to help.

Well actually, I guess you're both wrong, though you are more correct. It's HAPpy. Which, if you think about it (and possibly say it), sounds more correct. The accent is on the first syl. it's just it's HAP not HA.
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Vengerak

"Those who can do.  Those who can't teach."

Nohcnonk

There doesn't seem to be any emphasis when I say it...

Beem

I have to dis-agree.  Saying the word happy several times to myself and causing my family to look at me as if I am some mental patient suffering from sever depression because of lack of happiness, I came to the conclusion ha'PPY  is stressed more.  The ha is just quickly passed over while the ending ppy is stressed for slightly longer.  To add to it the e sound is a bit sharper than the sound of the a in ha.  However it could also depend a lot on accent.  

RWL: Skittles #17
Turbo: Kagewa no #9
Mini title: ?Aloof From all Grammatical Rules.?
"When the Emperor looks naked, the Emperor is naked."
"Let's all dance around under the rainbow until we get brutally assaulted with Skittles."