Previous topic - Next topic

Why is this in polling?

Clearly a post without a poll should me moved elsewhere... er
6 (54.5%)
move this to G and delete the unrelated poll, why is this even here
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Muse

Arguably the best genre of literature or movies ever. Google it.
Stop! Don't touch me there,
this is my private square!

Genevieve

there are no options.

Krowdon

I don't quite understand. Somebody explain please.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Night Wolf

This is polling! There should be a poll! or a question or options or something

Shadow Assassin

Wut? Whats Steampunk?

Shadow

I added a poll

this is like pollception
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Geh, really guys?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
Takes you longer to post "what is it" than to google it.

Basically, alternative future where everything is steampowered.  Lots of gears, lots of mechanical parts, lots of steam.
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mods/multimedia/2007/06/gallery_steampunk?slide=3
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

Steampunk is fun, I played in a steampunk D&D game for about 2 years. Cyberpunk is also pretty cool. Also, it's not necessarily the future windy, it's just a society where electric technology is replaced by steam powered technology.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Ashyra Nightwing

'Great' steampunk movies? Wild Wild West is a great movie?

Shadow

"9" was ok. It could have been much more, but it was ok.

Ashyra Nightwing

Cyberpunk is waaay better. Better movies, too. Blade Runner, etc.

Neuromancer is my favourite book.

Gen. Volkov

"Suckerpunch" had steampunk Nazi zombies. That was pretty awesome. I will agree that cyperpunk movies have been generally better than the steampunk ones though. Also, while I dunno whether cyberpunk books are better than steampunk books in general, I do know that Snow Crash is an amazing book.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Ashyra Nightwing

I keep hearing all this good stuff about Snow Crash but the synopsis just sounds like the worst book ever, I'm sorry. :P
Maybe one day I'll get round to it. In the meantime I just can't recommend Neuromancer enough.

edit: steampunk watch (i laughed lots when i found this because it is so hideous)

Shadow

I really enjoyed Snow Crash.

If you liked that, try Diamond Age by the same author.

EDIT: just watched waterworld. Could be considered very early steampunk maybe.

Gen. Volkov

I have read literally everything Neal Stephenson has written Shadow.

Ashy, you should know by now that the blurbs or synopsis of a book could make The Odyssey sound terrible. (Replace with book you really like if you think Homer's epic was crappy.) Example: "Man has trouble getting home". That is a an accurate summation of "The Odyssey", and it makes the book sound terrible.

Snow Crash is great. You read Pratchett right? Well, if Terry Pratchett wrote cyberpunk, it would probably be a lot like Snow Crash. Besides, you don't get nominated for both the Arthur C. Clarke award and the British Science Fiction award without being pretty good.

Oh, and yeah, Neuromancer is great, not saying it isn't, I was just saying that if you like Neuromancer, you'll probably like Snow Crash.