Why I hate Outcast of Redwall.

Started by Camaclue, October 04, 2011, 06:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camaclue

NUMERO ONE. That FUCHING POEM. I knew what it meant the very second I read it. How can Sunflash be so stupid as to not know that was a code?
TWOTU. Riding the badger. Just that sentence puts me off.
#3! Seeing the gates of Dark Forest/Surviving two adder bites. In other books, One bite, you're dead as a doornail.  But NOOOO! He went two days without medicine and he lived. And he saw the gates. That means game over. But Sunflash IS the main character. so he gets a free ticket out of death.
FORE! No mention of Redwall until part two. DA duck? It's called Outcast of REDWALL. We should at least get a mention of it, right?
5ive. Warlords. Just that. Warlords.
666666. A branch is not a mace. It's a CLUB. A mace is different from a club because a mace has a rounded top and a thin-ish lower bit. A club is just a makeshift, crude mace.
I will bring you more as I read.
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II on November 12, 2012, 09:10:32 PM
ey M8 ur cheeky i swear ill wreck ur [poop]

Preußen

I actually liked Outcast of Redwall.

I think he called it a mace because there were metal points embedded at the end.

A mace is a development of a club and is generally, as you said, thin at one point where you hold it, and thicker at the other end. Technically, it could be called a mace.

But I agree with most of the other points.

Durza

Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

windhound

http://images.google.com/imgres?q=mace&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1920&bih=878&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=p8010ALfkeYAJM:&imgrefurl=http://www.portkarmerchant.com/catalog/index.php%3FcPath%3D33&docid=M7aPA747EQsShM&w=600&h=400&ei=i72LTuGBA4Xm0QGu0I31BA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1463&vpy=304&dur=159&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=189&ty=79&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=207&start=0&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0

Mace, according to google image search

But yeah...
1)  iirc, Sunflash got whacked on the head at the beginning - he had memory issues anyhow.  And with a few exceptions badgers arn't known to be scholars.  Those that are aren't warriors
2)  ~shrug~  badgers are big, they can carry stuff
3)  Most of the other adder bites in the series were small animals.  If I remember right, the deranged fox in Mattimeo (Slagar?) also survived a bite - to the face no less.  Badgers are huge, presumably their systems can handle it better
4)  I'm honestly alright with this, the Redwall parts are always the slowest parts of the book.  The setup for Outcast was important
5)  Hum.
6)  See above

Booktalk.  Fun.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Camaclue

Yay, two new reasons!
Lucky #7. Females covering their faces with their aprons. Okay, I let it pass if they're really embarrassed, but (almost) EVERY TIME just ticks me off.
Oh cho. Hoglets. I don't mind dibbuns, but HOGLETS. Makes my mouth feel weird every time I read it.
Nine(shut up, what if I did lie?). The pictures. They make the characters look closer to animals then anthropomorphic animals. Also how most pics have them nudie. At least a shirt is acceptable.

Rakefur

The pictures are always inaccurate in those books.

Example: The back cover of Mariel of Redwall has a picture of Gabool -- With a pistol.  :-X
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Firetooth

I liked it.

And the pictures sometimes do suck. See "Salamandstron." Some of the best are Rakkety Tam.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Uiblis

I liked Outcast of Redwall; it was a very powerful piece of writing. Also because it was written fairly early, similar to books like Mossflower.

Over time, the books got repetitive, but Outcast was one of the greatest.

There might be a few inconsistencies and a few inaccurately termed objects. However, I enjoyed it not for its use of the word mace for branch, but for its plot and writing style.

If you hate the book, you don't have to continue reading it.
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Sharptooh

Was this one of the books they made a tv series on?

I seem to remember a sunflash the mace being in a clip I watched once.

Camaclue

I don't actually hate it. It's just not my favorite. And I have a new reason.
I0 or 1o. Brian Jacques' The Birds. They just get MUTILATED by the vermin. I should add it in The Mansion. Oh, the gore!

Rakefur

Quote from: Sharptooh on October 05, 2011, 03:42:44 PM

No I think they did Redwall, Martin the Worrier (intended), and Mattimayo.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Sharptooh

Quote from: Rakefur on October 05, 2011, 03:53:27 PM
Quote from: Sharptooh on October 05, 2011, 03:42:44 PM

No I think they did Redwall, Martin the Worrier (intended), and Mattimayo.

Ok thanks, must just be me 0_o

Camaclue

Leven. SWAMPS. They are the "eff you" of the Redwallverse. One step in, and BAM! You're a goner.
twelveteen. That squirrel. He is never explained at ALL, unless I missed something. And He just disappears after Sunflash left.
Lucky 13! The reptiles. The punching bags of the Redwallverse, they're WEAK and HELPLESS. Put them up in a tree and blip, they're doomed.

Briar

hmm...sounds like the RWL creaters did something right with the lizard race then...
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Camaclue

Four and 10. Pushing a boulder with your back. HOW DOES THAT WORK!?!? Unless he did it with his shoulder.
30 divided by 2. Hotroot soup. OKAY WE GET IT, otters like it, but making a song about it in any book with it just makes me want to throw the book at a wall.
6 Teen(Get it?). Double poisoned chalice all the way. |:C
I7. Shrews. The boneheads of Redwall. HOW CAN A HUGE BADGER-SHAPED BADGER BE A RAT!?!? AND you saw the otters. DERP MUCH?