Commas

Started by Briar, June 09, 2009, 09:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would /you/ write a list?

The market has cheese, goats, and vegetables.
13 (68.4%)
The market has cheese, goats and vegetables.
6 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Briar

This came up in an Anthropology course.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

The Lady Shael

Journalism style says the second choice. I was on the newspaper staff in high school, so that's the way I've always done it.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

windhound

Both are technically correct I think
I do tend to use the first though, as its just more logical to me.

Compaq, Lenovo, HP, Dell, Apple, and Toshiba all make laptops.  I add a comma after each entry then add an and when I'm done
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

According to my English teacher, the first is correct.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Krowdon

I voted for the first one cause thats how I normally write it. :D
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Daryn

always did first :)
Pies.

Briar

In the class, there was discussion on how North Americans normally go with the first choice, while Europeans go with the second...any proof to back this up?
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Saladin

Starfish love you

Genevieve

Quote from: Briar on June 10, 2009, 07:11:08 PM
In the class, there was discussion on how North Americans normally go with the first choice, while Europeans go with the second...any proof to back this up?
The proof is that Americans do most English-related things wrong. :P
I'm Australian and went with the second one, even though it looks less logical, I think it is more correct.

Daryn

Pies.

Ungatt Trunn II

Americans may be stupid, but we have more bombs!!

I use both depending on the situation.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Daryn

Pies.

windhound

Sometimes these items are things you do, or places you go.
E.g. Yesterday I went to work, played badminton, went to the pub and then went to bed.
I'm going to spend my holiday walking on the beach, sleeping in the sun and reading my book.

BEWARE!
Always make sure you use and to separate the last two items in your list.
Make sure that you don't use a comma before the word and at the end of your list.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/grammar/punctuation/commas/factsheet1.shtml

QuotePut commas between items in a list. When giving a short and simple list of things in a sentence, the last comma (right before the conjunction–usually and or or) is optional, but it is never wrong. If the items in the list are longer and more complicated, you should always place a final comma before the conjunction.

EITHER: You can buy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in Los Angeles.
    OR: You can buy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in Los Angeles.
    BUT ALWAYS: A good student listens to his teachers without yawning, reads once in a while, and writes papers before they are due.
- http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/commas.html

Seems its true.  The US system tolerates both methods.  The British system, as defined by the BBC, says you -must not- have a comma before the and.
The two systems clash in reference to the "But Always" clause, one stating you -must- use a comma to clearly define your list, the other saying hold fast to the "no comma before and" rule.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Genevieve

Night Wolf

I was always taught to do it the second way but I think I probably do it the first way more often than not.