My next dev project

Started by Shadow, June 24, 2012, 07:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

So, my motivation for coding took a bit of a hit lately, so I have just been sticking to balance tweaks and such this month. There will be a couple for next set, but nothing major. I'll give those details later.

But I wanted to let you guys know what my next project is going to be. This will hopefully get people excited about what's going on in dev, and by making this public I hope to motivate myself to get it done.

So: Clan Storehouse

I've played a few prom games where there is some sort of storehouse, either for individuals or for clans. I never like the individual ones - they just make the game one of quiet hording, which is exactly what 3.0 was meant not to be. Clan storehouses are a bit trickier, but I think I have the basics of a solid idea down (thank to numerous people who suggested various bits of it along the way).

I don't want storing to work in the traditional sense of adding stuff to a storehouse and then taking it out at the end of the set for a big finish. This overpowers clans, and being able to hide net away is almost always a bad thing.

However, if the storehouse were automated, so that use of the resources was not chosen directly by the players, then we have all sorts of possibilities.

The basic idea for this is that when your income is green (for cash, food, or troops) a portion of that income goes into the storehouse. You can't add to it directly, you have to fill the storehouse via a "clan tax", the percentage of which would be set by the leader.

Thus, cashers, farmers, and indiers in the clan will slowly fill up the storehouse.

Resources (cash and food) leave the storehouse when a clan members has red income. In this case, the storehouse will subsidize the loss by the same percentage as is taken from green incomes. Thus, anyone running in the red will have an easier time of it when in a clan because their loss will be partially offset by the clan storehouse. Hopefully this will make teaching clans a it easier by helping newbies.

To get troops out of the storehouse, you need to get attacked. If you lose land, then the storehouse will offset your troop losses by releasing a portion of the stored troop into your account. The amount will be determined by the percentage set by the leader, as well as your land total relative to the average. If you have a ton of land, you won't get many troops, but if you have very little, then you will get lots of troops. Hopefully this will make standarding someone down for the kill that much more difficult.

The reason that it only offsets losses when you take land is to stop people storing up and then attacking one team member to get all the troops onto them at the end.

In order for the storehouse to work, you will need at least 2 clan members. Clans with one member will have assets frozen, and disbanded clans will just lose their stored goods forever. The size of the storehouse will be determined by the total active clan networth, and overfull storehouses will not be able to be added to until they get used up below the max level.

This is a biggish project, so if people seem on board and I get motivated you can probably expect it for August. If not, maybe September, we'll see.

Feedback is welcome :)
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Durza

YAY a new twist to the game, just what we need :)
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Shadow

So my next dev project might actually be random events. We'll see which one I feel like coding this weekend.

Sharptooh

Can't believe I missed this project, sounds awesome to me :) a clan storehouse is always something I thought was a good idea!

Quote from: Shadow on July 05, 2012, 04:38:29 PM
So my next dev project might actually be random events.

Don't know if I'm being naive or just tired, but you could you please explain what the "random events" project would entail? What random events would you be coding in? 

Shadow

Sharptooh

Awesome! This seems to be a win-win situation :)

Shadow

Progress report - I have rethought storing troops for the moment, because they are an enormous pain the way they are coded right now and the feature needs a bit more thought. But cash and food storehouses are working as advertised, more or less.

I think I might change it up to allow direct depositing, but withdrawals only as above. We will see.

Shadow

Another one:

except for a "minor" bug which paid out about a quintillion networth per 100 turns, things are going smoothly. The storehouse is effectively done, there are just some decisions to make about how detailed I want news  reports to be. I am leaning toward "not at all" because they are a lot of work.

I'm pretty psyched about how this is turning out, though. Not sure if it will overpower clans initially, but it can always be adjusted if need be.