The Shroud of Turin

Started by ~>John<~, April 12, 2004, 08:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~>John<~

How many of you know about it? Your theories on it?
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Wildwood

no clue what you are talking about
Apparently people are getting angry at me for having too long of a sig. when all you have to do is press three buttons to not veiw someone else's sig. if you do not want to see it so I no longer have one *grumble* lazy people *grumble*.  Whew! Run on sentence.

Oh big fish I took out the pictures.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Lol big fish is the word for cr.p
user posted image

wolf bite

There was a great show on it last night that had a new theory about how there could be the clothe of Christ. And artist used an iodine paint and painted a person by candlelight, then put another cloth on that and did a rubbing. It came out with the same look and like the Shroud of Turin, only the top threads had the paint on them. I have always thought it is an interesting mystery.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

~>John<~

the photography is the real mystery Wolf.
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

wolf bite

I understand.

For those of you who don?t know, there is a cloth that has been kept for the last 1500 years that supposedly was the shroud that Christ was buried in. Amazingly there is darkened marks on the shroud, when the camera was invented, a negative showed the perfect picture of a man that had been crucified, had wounds from the forehead, and was stabbed by a spear in the side. (fits Christ). Carbon dating only shows it to be 1500 years old, but it had been a fire about 500 years ago and could have messed up the carbon dating.  This could not have been painted because only the top threads are colored and any paint they had in those days would have socked through.  So was this the burial cloth of Christ that he vanished from, and in combustion of that energy, left a negative portrait on the cloth?

We may never know, but an explanation was finally found as to how it could have been made with a negative look and no socking through. Read my above post.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

windhound

link with picture!  interactive picture!
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_shrou...roud/index.html

and an artical goin' a bit more indepth..
spiffy yes?  hehe..

Scientists Find New Face on Back of Turin Shroud
By Dominique Vidalon, Reuters

MILAN (April 15) - Italian scientists have found a matching image of a man's face and possibly his hands on the back of the Turin shroud, believed by many to be the burial cloth of Jesus Christ, one of the researchers said on Thursday.

The discovery that the ghostly image on the back of the linen cloth matches the face that adorns the front is likely to reignite debate over whether the shroud is genuine or a skilful medieval fraud.

"The fact that the image is two-sided makes any forgery difficult," Professor Giulio Fanti of the University of Padua told Reuters.

The findings of Fanti and Roberto Maggiolo, both from the university's department of mechanical engineering, were published this week by a journal of the Institute of Physics in London.

Fanti said the discovery would support those who maintain the cloth is genuine.

The shroud, one of Christianity's most sacred but most disputed relics, is a piece of linen some 14 feet long and 3 feet 7 inches wide.

It first appeared in France in the 14th century and has been held in the Italian city of Turin since 1578.

For over 600 years the debate has raged over the origin of the image of a tall, bearded man bearing the marks of crucifixion that can be seen on the front of the shroud.

Experts over the years say they have found traces of blood, pollen or soil typical of Jerusalem, where Christians believe Jesus was crucified.

But 15 years ago three separate laboratories said carbon dating indicated the shroud was no older than the 13th or 14th century. Researchers concluded the shroud was a hoax created for the hugely profitable medieval pilgrimage business.

While the front of the shroud has been studied intensively over the years, the back had remained hidden under a piece of Holland cloth which was sewn by nuns to cover up damage caused by a fire.

That protective layer was removed in 2002 for restoration and the back of the cloth was photographed.

The two scientists said they studied these photographs and used mathematical and optical techniques to process the images.

They found that the face that can be seen on the reverse of the shroud matches that of the front.

"We can detect the presence of a nose, eyes, hair, beard and moustache on the back surface that correspond in place, form, position and scale to those of the front," Fanti said.

Speculation has also grown over who created the image. One theory maintains it was the work of Leonardo da Vinci, who pioneered an early photograph technique and put his own face on the shroud.

04/15/04 06:30 ET
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

~>John<~

Many people think the fire adjusted the carbon date.

The shroud can be better seen  Here as that has interactive with every body part and the actual picture with the negative on it,

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Gen. Volkov

The fire was when? 500 years ago? It may have adjusted the date... though to do so the shroud would have actually had to have caught fire over the entire length.. which I don't believe is possible with the current state it is in. Also the lack of it stuff penetrating the layers actually proves the it IS a forgery, because real blood would have soaked all the way through the shroud.. unless you are claiming that the energy of his disappearance caused it. IT which case why isn't the whole thing darkened, instead of the outline that is on it? I thing the Shroud is a masterful forgery, but a forgery nontheless.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

The Lady Shael

I've only heard this very little, I didn't really know much about it. I saw this last night, and read a lot of stuff on shroud.com, and the entire thing just spooked me. I'm not sure why, it all just seemed very creepy.

The fire happened in 1532, and all that was burned was  one corner of the shroud, when a drop of molten silver touched it. Of course, it was folded.  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

~>John<~

How could it be a forgery? To paint the image they would have to have used a brush half the width of a human hair.

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Veranor

Quote from: ~>John<~How could it be a forgery? To paint the image they would have to have used a brush half the width of a human hair.
Well, even if it is real, it doesn't mean Christ was wrapped in it. Christ wasn't the only person who ever got crucified.
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

wolf bite

Yes, but it is likely that he was the only one to ware a crown of thorns, and had the fatal blow of a spear in his left side.

The mistery is if someone facked it or not.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

windhound

fatal blow with a spear?
'scuse my ignorance, but, I thought He was already dead when they poked Him with the spear..  
meh.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

wolf bite

good point, you may be right, I am sure someone that is sure will post. Either way, there was a wound in the side that looks as if made by a spear.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

Billy

Billy knows.  They poked Jesus with the spear to make sure Jesus was dead.  Thankfully he was.  The only way Billy knows how to create an image onto any surface without paint is nuclear energy, but Billy doubts that the cloth would not burn in a nuclear blast...
BILLY LIKES CHEESE
BILLY LIKES TO PLAY RWL