To deal with the oldbie/newbie flaming

Started by Abby The Rat, May 28, 2003, 12:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorClaw

I know that. What I'm saying is that, generally speaking, if you have a high title and haven't spammed too much then that should gain you respect. I, for one, spam a little but not very much. On the other hand, there are some here (formerly known as n00bs) who have a high title and live in castle Spamalot.

Peace Alliance

Why would post count gain you respect? I respect many with a high count but its not because of it.

RazorClaw

Okay. Let me put it this way instead. You have a veteran who has a custom title. You have someone who is new and has a Wots'isface title. Who gains your notice?

Ereptor

this has to be the worst idea ever.  are we going to change rules in the forums because calling someone a newbie hurts their feelings.  get over people.  everywhere you go you are going to be labled as something.  not allowing names in the forums is not going to change that.  i find this topic very immature and totally pointless.
The Dark Lord
Warrior since the First Era
Emperor of the Dark Ages
Leader of TBV, TOL, ROME and Mordor
Win with class, lose with class, always respect your opponet.
*Walks Out Of Shadow*

RazorClaw

Quote from: Ereptorthis has to be the worst idea ever.  are we going to change rules in the forums because calling someone a newbie hurts their feelings.  get over people.  everywhere you go you are going to be labled as something.  not allowing names in the forums is not going to change that.  i find this topic very immature and totally pointless.
Yes, but it's a good way to rack up posts. lol. Ummmm.....well, the problem is, Ad will probably lock any topics in which the title "newbie" in it, because it is now supposed to be regarded as flaming. Luckily, there really aren't any bad new-errrr....spammers right now.

Abby The Rat

Quote from: Ereptorthis has to be the worst idea ever.  are we going to change rules in the forums because calling someone a newbie hurts their feelings.  get over people.  everywhere you go you are going to be labled as something.  not allowing names in the forums is not going to change that.  i find this topic very immature and totally pointless.
Then, tell me. What should I do? Let them carry on flaming another person and that person is new to the game and is feel left out?

are we going to change rules in the forums because calling someone a newbie hurts their feelings

So what happen if you called that person a newbie and in 1 month time, that person is better then you?

everywhere you go you are going to be labled as something

That is true, after all we are humans, but we humans can control that labelling and make the world a happier place.

not allowing names in the forums is not going to change that.

I agree, but I'm not trying to change the world.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

calria

Well, Ad, it's not something that's going to be easy for me to stick with... (we all know how I am... shoo... I founded ABNNSA, for goodness sakes... yeah... so I'm pompous... BAH!) ...but I think that it's a good idea. It will keep things a whole lot happier on the forums.

Maybe just keep around the WOD classification, and let the rest go to seed?

RazorClaw

Well, as I see it, people are regarded as n00bs, Oldbies, ect., without being told that. If someone spams, then you think "Wow, that person's a n00b". this is fine, so long as you ask them to stop spamming instead of telling them they're a n00b. If you could call George W. Bush a bad name, and wanted to, you would get in trouble for doing so. But if you thought it about him and were really nice and he gave you a limo, which would you do?

Peace Alliance

I was always under the impression the the US had they're freedom of expression, so you would not get in trouble for calling Bush a name.

Back on topic, I dont really think trying to control the use of these pointless labels is the problem. The problem is that people put oo much thought into it. When a player is new to the game, how are you to know how good he is? If he has been called a n00b does that actually proove anything? But if people were to actually consider it, they would reolize that its not fair to make a judgement on somebody's title.

Example: Mr. A joins redwall and see's someone who has been called an oldbie and he automaticly respects the person. this is what is wrong.

Example: Mr. Mean calls Mr. A a newbie and all of a sudden people think he is bad and stupid. This is wrong

Example: Mr. A decided apon hearing that this guy is an oldbie that he would play the game for a while and make up his own mind on wether of not to respect this oldbie. This is right

Last example: Mr. Mean calls Mr. A a newb but since people dont know the guy they dicide not to think anything of it. This is right.

Wouldn't that make a better forum, Ad?

Graphlin

Wow.  Such a heated discussion.   ;)   How long do you have to be around not to be a newbie?

Ereptor

notice your sig....

"A redwall'er since 02/22/2003"

i think the people that want it down are the people that don't think they are newbies.  ok so you still get labeled as a newb because you have only been here awhile.  big deal.  if you can woop on the oldbies why care?  gain respect, earn it.  but don't take it away from people that have allready done that.  if some oldbies are jealous because you are kicking their butt, then let them.  it really only makes them look bad to people like me.
The Dark Lord
Warrior since the First Era
Emperor of the Dark Ages
Leader of TBV, TOL, ROME and Mordor
Win with class, lose with class, always respect your opponet.
*Walks Out Of Shadow*

Peace Alliance

:)   I put the date there because i was proud to have figured it out.

I think you are kind of agreeing with my point in a way because I was stressing that the titles dont matter... Oldbies may have been playing for a long time, but that doesn't mean they have accomplished anything

RazorClaw

Well, playing the game doesn't really accomplish anything. You're not famous, not rich. The only satisfaction you get is the fact that you're better than a lot of people........at the game.

Menatus

A newbie has nothing to do with the number of your post, because it doesn't show who YOU are. It's the way you post, really. If some new guy comes in and make smart, intellectual posts, or at LEAST ones you can understand or with correct grammar, I don't believe he is a newbie. If they come in, spam, annoy everyone, and get 1000 posts, they're a newbie. Or at least an annoyingbe. Okay? Good. That's my rant.

~#1 post count, still stupid.

Deathclaw

Everyone still knows what they are, and what people think of them, and this will just make the forum exist full of non-opinions if you edit all our posts.
Glory, Glory, Man United!