Take city

Started by Firetooth, August 09, 2011, 07:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

Cities literally make somebody 100% immune to kills. Perhaps this should be changed so take city is an assault like standard attack, but can only be used if they have cities? It would obviously have to be just as hard to succeed as the mission take city.

Making cities impossible to take causes other problems, like that one player who builds 100cities.

It's not a massive thing, but it might want to be looked into seeing as kills and standards are the only real damage dealers. (unless somebody doesn't market their food)
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

The Lady Shael

At this point, we'd just have to remove cities altogether. Throwing a completely new function of the game in the middle of the round is just not doable right now (no time to code and not worth it).
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Firetooth

Yeah, I didn't realize it'd be too time consuming. Might suck for people who wanted to test magpie with cities but I think it make a better round. I'm sure other people have different views, though.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Pippin

remove the cities is a good idea, people being totaly safe even clanned is an unfair advantage
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Sevah

Get Windy to make the take city attack feature. He's a smart lad, pretty sure he could google the info he needed to learn how to do it then he'd be able to do it and more in the future.

WOOT WOOT WOOT.
This cuddlefriendy suggestion was brought to you by Sevz.

Firetooth

I think just making it into an attack instead of a spell permenantly might be a good way to give indies more power, thinking on it actually.

Pippin

how about both have a method of taking a city? yey for balance
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Kilkenne

I don't see why that would give anyone any kind of power, as cities are largely worthless anyhow, unless you've got heaps of them and you're a wildcat. Then you can build 1 hut and pressgang skiffs for a bunch of net, sort of, even though it would only take 2% of your workers as opposed to 10% because of the modifiers involved with pressgang (You'd lose 10% of your workers every time you pushed the button, but only receive 2% of your worker value of skiffs, 3% for stoats, 6% weasels...and somehow 60% of the 10% pressganged clone themselves so you get 16% of the value for rats somehow). Maybe you could cash really hard as a magpie with like 100 taken cities. I really don't know.

I haven't seen a city used for anything other than defense, and at one point I ran numbers to see if I could make wildcat relevant by simming out 100 cities (still doesn't make it very good).

Just for those that are unawares of the take city mechanic, it's basically total offense points for the attacker plus 10 more offense points for each leader, versus total defense points for the defender plus 22 defense points for each of the defending leaders. It's a spell just because it involves leaders, but it involves them in a wildly different way than most leader spells do, as it is actually already much easier for an indy to take a city from a leader player than vice versa (assuming relatively equal net, and current strategies)

Firetooth

Quote from: Kilkenne on August 09, 2011, 12:33:31 PM
I don't see why that would give anyone any kind of power, as cities are largely worthless anyhow, unless you've got heaps of them and you're a wildcat. Then you can build 1 hut and pressgang skiffs for a bunch of net, sort of, even though it would only take 2% of your workers as opposed to 10% because of the modifiers involved with pressgang (You'd lose 10% of your workers every time you pushed the button, but only receive 2% of your worker value of skiffs, 3% for stoats, 6% weasels...and somehow 60% of the 10% pressganged clone themselves so you get 16% of the value for rats somehow). Maybe you could cash really hard as a magpie with like 100 taken cities. I really don't know.

I haven't seen a city used for anything other than defense, and at one point I ran numbers to see if I could make wildcat relevant by simming out 100 cities (still doesn't make it very good).

Just for those that are unawares of the take city mechanic, it's basically total offense points for the attacker plus 10 more offense points for each leader, versus total defense points for the defender plus 22 defense points for each of the defending leaders. It's a spell just because it involves leaders, but it involves them in a wildly different way than most leader spells do, as it is actually already much easier for an indy to take a city from a leader player than vice versa (assuming relatively equal net, and current strategies)
Cities can be used by Wildcats (as you said) or magpie effectively if you have leaders as magpie or troops as wildcat. You're right cities are only used for defense, doesn't matter though as indies should still be able to kill people, especially as they are more well-known for housing troops.

Good to see you posted how cities work for those who didn't know. (which would be me too had you no previously explained it)

Kilkenne

With the numbers the way they are, to be competitive you need something like a hundred cities as a wildcat to make enough workers to really make things go. The resources involved in making (taking?) a hundred cities are immense. I'm kind of curious though, if we set up a city factory in a set, how many cities we could have someone with...200? 300? Then things would be hilarious, you'd be pressganging for 30 million net a hit.

Firetooth

As far as I understand, the lower your troops and net, the less resources to make a city. So (theoretically) this round one could definitely sit low and build cities, in batches and possibly over time, especially as they don't have to fear them being taken.

Also, my dream is to build 300 cities on wildcat. Closest I got was 30 but I was kind of bored and the race kind of sucks. (unfortunately, it's actually one of the most interesting to play)

Shadow

With all land in cities, I think a Magpie could out-produce a leader casher if played carefully. When I balanced it I tried to set things up so that a leader player and a magpie would make approximately the same amount of cash in the course of a run on the same land, under the assumption that the leader player also had to produce loyalty in that run.

With all cities, a magpie's output is increased by almost 50% compared to that.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Firetooth

Well, let's hope nobody revolts to magpie and goes all cities. :D

I might try that out sometime in another round.

Holby

Quote from: Kilkenne on August 09, 2011, 12:33:31 PM

Hmm.

I thought when it came to taking cities, the leader bit was just "whoever has more wins, yaaay". But they actually count as offense and defense points?
I will not deleted this

Kilkenne

Quote from: Firetooth on August 09, 2011, 01:19:08 PM
As far as I understand, the lower your troops and net, the less resources to make a city. So (theoretically) this round one could definitely sit low and build cities, in batches and possibly over time, especially as they don't have to fear them being taken.

Also, my dream is to build 300 cities on wildcat. Closest I got was 30 but I was kind of bored and the race kind of sucks. (unfortunately, it's actually one of the most interesting to play)

Don't build cities, have friends build cities and take them, vastly more productive for your time. Get several people to maek city so you can steal them!