Spamming, post count, respect

Started by Holby, August 15, 2008, 01:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holby

There has been so much spamming here in the last few months it's almost sickening. So many useless threads with even more useless responses have flooded this forum, and I can only assume as a way of increasing post count. But what's the point in saying nothing of value?

There's no respect in having a lot of posts, nor will you get a title just because you talk crap continuously. I'm not naming any names, but I'm rather sure the people who spam are aware they are spamming and not contributing to the group.

The important thing is how others perceive you, and if every post you make contradicts another, has poor spelling and grammar, is a one liner, consists mostly of smilies, or only insults another member, everyone will DISLIKE you.

I would rather see 1 post that is vaguely interesting than 50 that are nonsense. I see 1 valid post for every 15 right now, but I'd rather there was no ratio, and every post was worth my time. So please think about what you say, if my respect and that of those who regularly post in a vaguely intelligent manner mean anything to you.

Thanks.
I will not deleted this

bjornredtail

Of course, you can make your point in just one line, as I am attempting to do right now. :)

FAIL... Not that it was that funny to begin with.

I've begun to notice that too... It's not quite completely mindless, but it does make threads harder to keep track of. If I have trouble finding a point to reply to, I simply will not post in that topic. Thus, spamming (outside of the SPA room, of course) might have the ironic effect actually lowering overall amount of activity on the forums.

QuoteThe important thing is how others perceive you, and if every post you make contradicts another, has poor spelling and grammar, is a one liner, consists mostly of smilies, or only insults another member, everyone will DISLIKE you.
I for one find that having some reasoning or information makes bad spelling and the like worth wading through. I'd rather have that than a fluffy, pointless post with perfect spelling and grammar. A shell script trying to sell 'discount medz' can have perfect spelling and grammar, but it's still spamming.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

kell

the solution that works for me is never read any topic started by the spammers or read any of their posts in a topic im interested in
founder of eire

first emp on the new server

wolf bite

For year I read every post. I make no secret that I now only click on the most recent topic in each category (because that is where the action usually is). Otherwise I leave it to our great Mods to ... well ... Moderate. Also we have many members that really care about this place and will point me to where attention is needed.

Sorry if I have missed saying "welcome" to some new people or have missed sympathizing with members that are ill or distressed. But frankly I don't have the time to read and keep track of everything. 

Is it because it is all Spam? Maybe to some extent, but also there are many topics concerning "real life" and other things that make the forum active. Sometimes it is hard to decide to squash people from posting when some of that they may say have interesting value. But yea, members should really not post useless posts. 

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Gen. Volkov

I'm with Holbs 100% here. I agree with his entire post.

I know that's a one liner, I'm merely signaling my agreement as a person who usually posts worthwhile material.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

RazorClaw

You know, Holby, you could have just sent me a PM. :P

Holby

Quiet, RC! Or I'll remotely control you to death.
I will not deleted this

Gorak

I know a lot of people who think they're special because they have a high post count on some internet forum

the one that really gets me, is that I'm active on the Ibanez forum, which is for musicians who are enthusiets of Ibanez products
and there are people on there who created an account less then 6 months ago and already have 2000+ posts!
then they criticize other members, saying they are crappy guitarists and so on, when they obviously spend soo much time on their computers, there's no way they could even be a half decent musician themselves.

I do spam a bit, and troll here, but I also average less then 300 posts per year
I got better things to do then spam a forum all day, every day
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.