Italian midfielder De Rossi handed four match ban

Started by Deathclaw, June 23, 2006, 01:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deathclaw

Italy midfielder Daniele De Rossi was handed a four match ban by FIFA for his elbow on Brian McBride that earned him a 28th minute sending off and left McBride needing three stitches. The Italian Football Federation's spokesman Antonello Valentini said that FIFA told them that he recieved a four match ban instead of five due to the letter De Rossi wrote apologizing for his actions. The ban included the Thursday Group E match vs. Czech Republic, so it leaves De Rossi available for the final, should they make it that far, but he is unlikely to play in the final, as Marcello Lippi (the Italian boss) as recieved pressure from Italian media and fans to leave De Rossi on the bench for the remainder of the tournament, even after the ban is over.
Italy will not appeal the ban.
Giancarlo Abete, head of Italy's World Cup delegation, said: "If you make a mistake it is right that you pay."
"FIFA's decision needs to be respected and accepted calmly."

Pablo Mastroeni and Eddie Pope were sent off in the same match as De Rossi, equalling a World Cup record for sending offs in a match.

Italy face Australia in the round of 16 on Monday.
Glory, Glory, Man United!

Deathclaw

Update: De Rossi also recieved a $9000 fine for his efforts.

artu

i think deathclaw should be named the offical soccer/football reporter for the forums

Deathclaw

Quote from: artu on June 23, 2006, 07:45:11 PM
i think deathclaw should be named the offical soccer/football reporter for the forums

lol. I was bored so I decided to try out soccer/football journalism. De Rossi deserved the ban but Mastroeni in no way deserved his.