Pablo Mastroeni recieves surprising 3 match ban

Started by Deathclaw, June 23, 2006, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deathclaw

American defensive midfielder Pablo Mastroeni recieved a three match ban and $6700 fine for his sending off following a tackle on Italian midfielder Andrea Pirlo. The ban comes as a surprise to many, because virtually every commentator were quick to say the tackle was only worth a yellow and that Paraguayan referee Jorge Larrionda should be suspended from officiating in the current World Cup. In 2002, after a poor performance, FIFA did not let him referee for the remainder of the tournament. Mastroeni said his tackle "rated a yellow anywhere in the world." Bruce Arena was upset with Larrionda as well, but conceded Mastroeni put himself in a bad position with a "silly tackle." Arena was upset with the decision to show Eddie Pope a second yellow card at the beginning of the second half, as replays showed the tackle was fair and that Pope got the ball. Eric Wynalda even said that if it were a foul, that Larrionda should have pulled Pope aside and verbally warned him that soon into the half.
Larrionda has proven to be quick to show yellow and red cards in a tournament that has shown a plethora of both.

My opinion: Larrionda bought a new set of cards before the match and just wanted to see if they worked.
Glory, Glory, Man United!

artu

Deathclaw

Quote from: artu on June 23, 2006, 07:40:17 PM
hear hear
this ref is bull

Granted it was a silly tackle, but it was only worth a yellow card. A three match ban is phenomonally retarded by FIFA, what did they see in the tackle to give him the ban? I don't think it was two footed or studs up, but I could be wrong. Still, it should not have been red.
Glory, Glory, Man United!