Change through time.

Started by Gen. Volkov, November 05, 2007, 12:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

So when I first got here, way back in the early days of first era, I was a total noob. But I thought I was good because I was ranked 4th in the server when I left. (BTW, if any of you know Shorestar, you can thank her for introducing me to this game.) I came back, and I still thought I was good. I wasn't, but I thought I was. Funny how that works. So as I started to play again, I was totally unfamiliar with the new strats, but I refused to ask for help, so I didn't even realize why I couldn't get above 30 mil NW, while everyone in the top ten was above 100 mil NW. Then I began talking to people and started to realize just how far behind I was. Still full of braggadocio though. I wasn't going to let anyone know that I had realized I was a bad player. Though I'm pretty sure everyone else knew. That was all in the first few months. After that, I learned the basic strats, and started developing my own. Went off and played in a bunch of other games and got truly good. Though I started off well behind, I did eventually catch up. Went on to do many cool things in this game and others. If I had realized just how bad I was at first though, and allowed someone to tell me what I was doing wrong though, I probably could have developed much faster.

Anyone else have any memories of just starting out and how they developed into the player they are today? Or any stories of how they are different now than they were when they first came to RWL? (I know I've changed in other aspects as well.)
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

The Lady Shael

Well, I was a pretty bad player when I first started...and I knew it. I still am a bad player, and I'm not afraid to admit it. =p

So I guess I haven't changed much, player-wise.

I guess my journey from member to mod to admin to code admin was pretty memorable though...I still remember when Ad told me I was being considered for mod, and I remember the day I logged on and discovered I was promoted to admin... just goes to show you don't have to be good at this game to belong to RWL. =p

Also when I first joined, I only had really basic HTML knowledge...just shows how far I've come. Actually, when I first took the position of coder here after Retto left, I only knew basic PHP stuff, didn't really have any experience with it. I've definitely learned at least 80% of what I know about PHP just by managing this site.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Shadow

I used to be terrible. All my skill at this game has been developed over the rounds since the coding was changed. I am still not emp material I don't think, but I am getting there fast.

My learning was prompted by an idea I got when i saw the wildcat mission. I started playing around with numbers and realized that I could do absolutely anything in this game if only I knew the appropriate formulas. After that it was just a matter of finding those formulas.

I am currently messing around with numbers trying to find a way to derive the number of troops that the emp has based on his net and the defensive values of troop types. I'll let you know if I make any progress  :-P
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

kell

yes shadow is a walking math book
founder of eire

first emp on the new server

Rough Raiders

Lets see, I was introduced to this game by a friend of old who I've lost touch with, Dead Eye if any of you remember him.  I was an uber n00b in the beginning because id type like thiz n i wudnt make sense at allllllllll... Yeah, it was super obnoxious.  A lot of the posts are still archived on the boards, so if you just search for posts made by me, read them, they are super funny.  I was alright at the game, I'm still just alright, trying to improve.  I've recieved a lot of insight from one of the warlords who is playing now, but my sources will remain anonymous :P.  I feel like I'm getting better, the League is actually helping that which is quite funny. I used to flame the boards and scream about hackers and stuff. It was not a fun time for everyone else...
Official Forum Acorn Thrower
Holbs is the Master Slicer of MY Acorns with Twin Katana Swords
Leader of the TMNT Alliance
I CLAIM MYSELF THE ALMIGHTY HATED ONE ;)

Gen. Volkov

Heh, Dead Eye, I used to scheme with him all the time.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

wolf bite

Hummm, no one noticed a little warlord in protection named Dead Eye?

Anyway, I just messed around in the first era not really caring, I would stay around the rank of 20, which was good since there was a lot of people playing. I did not even know there was a forum.  Then Kilk and others slammed me and also tossed insults for no reason.  This was a week before the reset. So I took out my calculator and spent a week doing math.  I came right out of protection in the 2nd era and took emperorship under the flag of the Blades!  I held if for almost a month until 5 multi accounts Leader suicided me from the low ranks (there was no range restrictions then). After they beat me down, I took the calculator out again and found more ways to get to the top.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

kell

reminds me of shadow*

i just messed around not really knowing what i was at, got into a clan war two weeks after i joined and was bailed out by snare (was miles ahead of everybody then) killed peace in turbo and was dog smacked back to the stoneage. was given some really good tips and help and have been inside the top five since
founder of eire

first emp on the new server

Aqualis

When I first joined, I was a skiff masser. yeah, I got a whole 40,000 and thought I could break anyone in the game. So I attacked whoever was first when I joined (Sons of Delor I think).

Now I know better. Still haven't bothered with all the math bit thought, but I do alright when I play.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Rough Raiders

Quote from: wolf bite on November 06, 2007, 08:33:56 PM
Hummm, no one noticed a little warlord in protection named Dead Eye?

Anyway, I just messed around in the first era not really caring, I would stay around the rank of 20, which was good since there was a lot of people playing. I did not even know there was a forum.  Then Kilk and others slammed me and also tossed insults for no reason.  This was a week before the reset. So I took out my calculator and spent a week doing math.  I came right out of protection in the 2nd era and took emperorship under the flag of the Blades!  I held if for almost a month until 5 multi accounts Leader suicided me from the low ranks (there was no range restrictions then). After they beat me down, I took the calculator out again and found more ways to get to the top.

Wolf Bite

Wow. I didnt notice that actually... I wonder if hes actually coming back...
Ahhh yes, tossing insults for no reason... that was me back in the day. I would always be the one to get my clan into a war, at least it made things interesting!

Volk, you and Dead Eye scheming? Yeah, he did a lot of that, you were in on it too? It was probably against me a lot of the time... Dead Eye had it out for me...
Official Forum Acorn Thrower
Holbs is the Master Slicer of MY Acorns with Twin Katana Swords
Leader of the TMNT Alliance
I CLAIM MYSELF THE ALMIGHTY HATED ONE ;)

Gen. Volkov

Yeah, it was back when I was running Woof the first time around, and I was in the middle a clan war against someone. I don't think it was against you though.