Dictating Play

Started by Genevieve, July 09, 2009, 09:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genevieve

Hi all, I'm pretty new and am having trouble grasping the whole "etiquette" part of this game.

My current annoyance, in particular, is the instructions given to other players on various warlords' noticeboards. I'm talking about things such as "don't hit me below ___k land, or "don't use these troops".

The most viewed ingame page is the scores page, in which warlords are RANKED, this would seem to infer that RWL is, in fact, a COMPETITIVE game. May I ask since when, in competition, was it acceptable for competitors to dictate to others the manner in which they can compete, for their own advancement.

This also applies to so-called "passive" or "peaceful" players. This game is about WARlords, it is not passive or peaceful, and players should not be able to dictate it to be. I have annoyed a few of these players in my short time in the game, but I'm not too phased - they don't attack me back :P

P.S. I play indy, so I would prefer it if no one leaders me, or knocks me below 50k land. Ok thanks guys!

Holby

Agree completely.

To use our favourite expression, 'This is Redwall: Warlords, not Redwall: Happy Pony Raisers'.

There are lots of "unwritten rules", and they vary between players. But oddly enough, this has produced an intolerant player base. Players constantly hold others to their own standards, but cry foul when met with someone else's.

Everyone has the right to play however they like, within the rules of the game.
I will not deleted this

Firetooth

Well I hit people as low as I like, but usually below 15k is an act of war after the first week or so imo. I think if someone has a hole you should use that as it saves ya both troops.
On passiev, I've never tried passive play, but people use it as a test of their ability. People who can use 20k all round and get in the top 5 are exceptional players. Most passive players are of a high quality. It's pretty stupid hitting them when there's others with more land, but if you do they probably will end up retaliating.
But yeah play as you like, just my take on it. I agree with Holby that as long as it complies with the rules, you should be able to play as you like.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Blood Wake

I agree with everything that has been said here. Lol.

I don't tell people how to act around me and if someone says the they'd like to be attacked with a certain troop. I enjoy that because I don't have to work very hard to find the weak spot.

if anyone gets mad at you for something stupid like disobeying their notice, who cares. they are not up for the challenge of what the game is all about. you are
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

Shadow

Eh, there's a limit. If the way you are playing is causing others to leave, you need to stop doing it. But the rest is valid.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

Meh, I don't generally pay attention to what other people are doing, or what they ask. If I am annoyed enough by something, I'll send a message, but otherwise I just play the game. I regard murders and such as acts of war, and will only resort to them if I have no other option, or if I am at war. I don't generally hit people to much lower than 20k land. In fact, when I'm not provoked, I'm a pretty nice player. Not passive by any stretch, but pretty nice. However, if I am moved to send a note, ignore me at your own peril, as I'm sure quite a few players can attest too.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Neobaron

When I came back I adhered to the "5 is fair, spread attacks" rule I was told was proper a long time ago, but the first time I got maxxed by a single person I threw that out the window.

But only to the point of averaging them with everyone else. If 10k seems to be the average, then I wont take them below 10k.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Shadow

QuoteMy current annoyance, in particular, is the instructions given to other players on various warlords' noticeboards. I'm talking about things such as "don't hit me below ___k land, or "don't use these troops".

Actually I hsould say a bit more. First, most players ignore those and just do their thing. Telling people what to attack with is generally something that saves you both troops, and gives new players a bit of a boost, so it really isn't a problem usually. It only becomes a problem if the person with the notice becomes militant when people don't listen.

This also applies to so-called "passive" or "peaceful" players. This game is about WARlords, it is not passive or peaceful, and players should not be able to dictate it to be.

THat is just diplomacy - passive players that are able to be successful passive get that way through the respect of allies who are willing to not attack them. If a player can play peacefully, then more power to them. It is still a valid and far more difficult way to compete, as Peace Alliance has proven time and again.

QuoteP.S. I play indy, so I would prefer it if no one leaders me, or knocks me below 50k land. Ok thanks guys!

There's an example of something that would get ignored. However, putting something like "murder me and ill own you" is perfectly valid, since if anyone murdered me I would own them regardless, but the message might just stop them doing it in the first place and save me the trouble. So it's not all bad, really.

Neobaron

I believe that last bit was a joke, shadow. :P
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Shadow

Lol I know, I was just saying that it isn't as bad as all that ^_^

Genevieve

Quote from: Shadow on July 09, 2009, 02:48:26 PM
It only becomes a problem if the person with the notice becomes militant when people don't listen.

That's why I was driven to post this topic.

If a player can play peacefully, then more power to them.

Not when they get their friends to murder whoever gets in their way! grr.

Quote from: Shadow on July 09, 2009, 12:49:04 PM
Eh, there's a limit. If the way you are playing is causing others to leave, you need to stop doing it. But the rest is valid.

This might cause me to leave.

Quote from: Neobaron on July 09, 2009, 02:51:44 PM
I believe that last bit was a joke, shadow. :P

Oh yeah, I'm quite the comedian.

Typhon

Quote from: Genevieve on July 09, 2009, 05:54:39 PM

If a player can play peacefully, then more power to them.

Not when they get their friends to murder whoever gets in their way! grr.

If your talking about me, no one asked me to murder you I did it myself. Attack a passive again and ill completely end you. This is my warning to you.

Genevieve

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on July 09, 2009, 02:41:16 PM
Meh, I don't generally pay attention to what other people are doing, or what they ask. If I am annoyed enough by something, I'll send a message, but otherwise I just play the game. I regard murders and such as acts of war, and will only resort to them if I have no other option, or if I am at war. I don't generally hit people to much lower than 20k land. In fact, when I'm not provoked, I'm a pretty nice player. Not passive by any stretch, but pretty nice. However, if I am moved to send a note, ignore me at your own peril, as I'm sure quite a few players can attest too.

I will take this as permission to ignore your ridiculousness in reg.

QuoteThu, 09 Jul 2009 13:20:26 -0600
From The Hounds of Ulster (#34) (?)

Leave a hole please. Or I will be forced to murder you next time. I really don't want to do that, but I don't want to be spending all my money buying troops to break you either.

Holby

Here is my problem with passive players.

They don't attack anyone, so they expect others to not attack them. Then they moan and whine if they get attacked, even if they have more land than most other players. This does include the all-powerful Peace Alliance, btw :P

I see nothing to respect in that. Because whether they are passive or not, they are still competing. And if they want to compete, they shouldn't have the right to dictate how players interact with them. It's like saying they have a free pass to never being murdered, poisoned, or stolen from. If I could compete in a round passively, rarely get attacked, and never have people try to destroy my Net, then I would play that way all the time. It's goddamn easy.

So I don't respect the multiple people crying "Passive, don't attack me", because it's a cop out.

Playing Turbo lately, I've seen people going nuts left, right and centre. Getting aggro for being max attacked, and responding with steals/murders. Trying to ruin other players just for the sake of ruining them. It's pretty darn bloodthirsty. And although that doesn't make me want to play very much, what really is turning me off, is those same people complaining when other players respond. Nearly all of us are hypocrites, and it's ruining the game.

This game used to be remotely friendly. Playing under alias, I've just been met with waves of abuse.

We need to pull our heads in, or at least perpetuate a better environment.

I will not deleted this

The Obliterator

Heh i know completly what this topic is about as it concerns me completly.
Btw for Geniveive i am Ichigo
Ok i did three steals on Geniveive in order to see if she had sheilds up the next day i logged on to find i had been hit to 3k land.
So i retalled killing off 60 mil net.
I sent a message saying that it was retal and that i could stop there however her clanmate then proceded to take me down to 4k land.
So then i got a bit angry i onlined Geniveive, murded their highest player into the ground and left it at that.
It was all retal I put the message take me below 12k land and pay up so i have to show people that i am willing to enforce it otherwise no-one will obey it.
So there you go the whole story.
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better