indy

Started by Shadow, May 02, 2007, 09:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

ive heard a lot about this strat, and since there are no leaders this round thought it might be a good time to try a troop massing based strat.. can someone give me a quick run-through of a basic indy strat?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Ruddertail

Indy -

95% Barracks, 5% Farms (basically, enough to feed yourself, but no more).

Essentially, you spend your entire run attacking and building. You have to switch between selling a couple different troop types. Maybe 3 at first, 1 - 2 (usually skiffs and stoats) after you get going.

Alternatively, 70% Barracks, 25% Camps, 5% Farms. When you first start, probably have to switch. After that, can probably go 100% stoats.

The switching is as a result of having to sell troops for upkeep. As you can only sell a troop type once per run, you'll need to switch between massed troops. It can get kind of tricky, but you'll figure it out, eventually.

Normally, I make the troop I'm attacking in while I'm attacking, then switch to my next troop while building, so by the way I sell my attacking troop, I've already built up a good amount of the next troop I'll attack in.
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Shadow

thanks.. running out of cash a lot, but ill get the hang of it by the time the round is going well

Ruddertail

Yeah. That's the tricky part, being able to have the troops to sell, and getting your rhythm (that's really the best word for it).
Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Wolf Snare

Yeah, it all can be a little hard to figure out.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shadow

5% foragers seems very low.. i have much more and i am barely gaining food.. enough to live on, but if i used only 5% i wouldnt be able to get anywhere

am i missing something.. id say buying food might work but cash is pretty tight as it is

wolf bite

Use forage to get back to full health after attacking. Then when you are near the end of yoru attack, and bing enough to be attacking large land, build that in foragers. That should be the boost for your next run.

Or buy your food on the market with the cash from selling your troups. (puts a bunch of food on the market)

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Ruddertail

It depends what troop you use. I've been going 10% foragers lately, and it's been excessive. 5% might be a tad low, but 7% should work. However, if you have a lot of rats, you'll need a lot more foragers (10% - 15%, perhaps) in order to feed them - rats eat a lot, comparative to other troops. Even in equal numbers, the rats eat more.

Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

Shadow

that would explain it, if i keep going ill probably be in the 100 mils for rats soon lol

ive got 20-25% foragers going atm and my food is inching up slowly over large amounts of turns

Gen. Volkov

Rats suck as far as food consumption goes, you might want to consider switching troop type.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shadow

i may try, im not sure which setup will generate the most cash on mercs b4 my run

Shadow

ok, ive got the running part of this down pat i think..
now.. endgame strategies

in the last day or two, when everyone takes a ton of land and tries to hold it for top spot, how does an indy get the army necessary? i guess you could just change troop training to a more balanced ratio and use the pub market a lot, but where does all the requisite cash come from if there are no leaders? Selling troops kind of defeats the purpose of the strat here lol

Ruddertail

The trick will really the be the last run. There isn't a "buildup" with indy. What you may want to do focus on keeping a lower army on you, and selling a lot in the days right before the set. That way, you can make a final run with a ton of cash, and not have to sell anything on that final run.

Actually... you probably want to make two runs after the cash storing period. Maybe 3 - 4 days making runs with lower then normal troops, massing cash, then 1 normal run so you have a good amount of troops going into the final run. Then, instead of selling troops on that last run, you rely on stored cash for support, and just get as many troops as you can.
Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

Shadow

this will be a fun round  8-)

taekwondokid42

Quote from: Ruddertail on May 12, 2007, 04:35:19 PM
It depends what troop you use. I've been going 10% foragers lately, and it's been excessive. 5% might be a tad low, but 7% should work. However, if you have a lot of rats, you'll need a lot more foragers (10% - 15%, perhaps) in order to feed them - rats eat a lot, comparative to other troops. Even in equal numbers, the rats eat more.

Comparing Rats to Stoats (food wise)

You get approx. 4 times the rats as you do stoats.

1 rat eats approx. 2.5 times the food as 1 stoat.

Therefore, rats (overall) need 10X the amount of food.